LaserJet 6MP rollers too sticky.

I have a LaserJet 6MP which is used very little and has not been used
for quite some time (months).

Now the (three) rubber (?) rollers in the back of the printer are too
sticky. The paper sticks to the rollers, causing it to bend downwards
(instead of keeping it straight or bending it up), causing it to curl up
and causing paper jams.

I have tried to clean the rollers. Spirit [1] seemed to make it worse,
more sticky. A damp (with water) cloth seemed to help a bit, but only
for one or two pages.

Is there any way to make these rollers less sticky?

I think that it is very unlikely that I can get replacement rollers
somewhere (FWIW, I live in The Netherlands, aka "Holland"), not to
mention that replacing them is probably quite difficult, if at all
possible.

Any other suggestions?

[1] I don't know if that is the correct English term. Dutch "spiritus".
It is a kind of cheap cleaning alcohol, just not as pure as normal
alcohol.
6 answers Last reply
More about laserjet rollers sticky

    Frank,

    Isopropyl alcohol has the property of drying out rubber. Not sure what it is
    called in your language, but that is the chemical name, sold in all pharmacies
    and supermarkets here. Alcohol "spirits" are far more volatile chemically, and
    I can understand why they would react with rubber to add stickiness.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 31 Aug 2004 13:29:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

    > I have a LaserJet 6MP which is used very little and has not been used
    >for quite some time (months).
    >
    > Now the (three) rubber (?) rollers in the back of the printer are too
    >sticky. The paper sticks to the rollers, causing it to bend downwards
    >(instead of keeping it straight or bending it up), causing it to curl up
    >and causing paper jams.
    >
    > I have tried to clean the rollers. Spirit [1] seemed to make it worse,
    >more sticky. A damp (with water) cloth seemed to help a bit, but only
    >for one or two pages.
    >
    > Is there any way to make these rollers less sticky?
    >
    > I think that it is very unlikely that I can get replacement rollers
    >somewhere (FWIW, I live in The Netherlands, aka "Holland"), not to
    >mention that replacing them is probably quite difficult, if at all
    >possible.
    >
    > Any other suggestions?
    >
    >[1] I don't know if that is the correct English term. Dutch "spiritus".
    >It is a kind of cheap cleaning alcohol, just not as pure as normal
    >alcohol.

    To get parts for HP printers, go to http://partsurfer.hp.com. You should
    be able to find the part number for the rollers if they are available.

    There may be other suppliers in Europe that would be cheaper than
    ordering direct from HP. The availability of parts varies with different
    HP models. However, once you have the part number, you can do
    a Web search and see what is available.

    An electronics supply store, or a VCR repair shop might have some
    "rubber rejuvenator" cleaning fluid. Unfortunately, I have to say that
    such products have never worked for me.

    Aidan Grey

    ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    > Frank,
    >
    > Isopropyl alcohol has the property of drying out rubber. Not sure
    > what it is called in your language, but that is the chemical name,
    > sold in all pharmacies and supermarkets here. Alcohol "spirits" are
    > far more volatile chemically, and I can understand why they would
    > react with rubber to add stickiness.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben! I used some "70%" alcohol [1] and that seems to be working
    somewhat better than a damp (with water) cloth. This time, I could print
    some five pages before the paper started to curl again and it did not
    curl as much/bad as before (i.e. I could prevet a paper-jam). Since the
    problem started, I am using the rear output tray, so the paper does not
    have to make the 'difficult'/'sharp' bend back to the top output tray.

    I think I will try this for some time, i.e. clean the rollers with
    alcohol before printing, and see how things go.

    Also my thanks to Aidan and Christian for their pointers to
    http://partsurfer.hp.com etc., "rubber rejuvenator" and ebay.

    [1] "Denaturalized (sp?) alcohol", Latin term "spiritus ketonatus dil.".

    > On 31 Aug 2004 13:29:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a LaserJet 6MP which is used very little and has not been used
    > >for quite some time (months).
    > >
    > > Now the (three) rubber (?) rollers in the back of the printer are too
    > >sticky. The paper sticks to the rollers, causing it to bend downwards
    > >(instead of keeping it straight or bending it up), causing it to curl up
    > >and causing paper jams.
    > >
    > > I have tried to clean the rollers. Spirit [1] seemed to make it worse,
    > >more sticky. A damp (with water) cloth seemed to help a bit, but only
    > >for one or two pages.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to make these rollers less sticky?
    > >
    > > I think that it is very unlikely that I can get replacement rollers
    > >somewhere (FWIW, I live in The Netherlands, aka "Holland"), not to
    > >mention that replacing them is probably quite difficult, if at all
    > >possible.
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions?
    > >
    > >[1] I don't know if that is the correct English term. Dutch "spiritus".
    > >It is a kind of cheap cleaning alcohol, just not as pure as normal
    > >alcohol.

    On the seventh day, Frank Slootweg wrote...

    > I think that it is very unlikely that I can get replacement rollers
    > somewhere (FWIW, I live in The Netherlands, aka "Holland"), not to
    > mention that replacing them is probably quite difficult, if at all
    > possible.

    Hello, Frank,

    there are replacement sets available on ebay from time to time. They're
    usually pretty affordable.

    Of course I do. It's 2278. - Captain Morgan, U.S.S. Bozeman,
    "Star Trek: The Next Generation, (Cause and Effect)"

    [1] "Denaturalized (sp?) alcohol", Latin term "spiritus ketonatus dil.".

    Ah, yes! Denatured alcohol. Much more volatile than isopropyl... Ben

    On 01 Sep 2004 10:14:32 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    >> Frank,
    >>
    >> Isopropyl alcohol has the property of drying out rubber. Not sure
    >> what it is called in your language, but that is the chemical name,
    >> sold in all pharmacies and supermarkets here. Alcohol "spirits" are
    >> far more volatile chemically, and I can understand why they would
    >> react with rubber to add stickiness.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >
    > Thanks Ben! I used some "70%" alcohol [1] and that seems to be working
    >somewhat better than a damp (with water) cloth. This time, I could print
    >some five pages before the paper started to curl again and it did not
    >curl as much/bad as before (i.e. I could prevet a paper-jam). Since the
    >problem started, I am using the rear output tray, so the paper does not
    >have to make the 'difficult'/'sharp' bend back to the top output tray.
    >
    > I think I will try this for some time, i.e. clean the rollers with
    >alcohol before printing, and see how things go.
    >
    > Also my thanks to Aidan and Christian for their pointers to
    >http://partsurfer.hp.com etc., "rubber rejuvenator" and ebay.
    >
    >[1] "Denaturalized (sp?) alcohol", Latin term "spiritus ketonatus dil.".
    >
    >> On 31 Aug 2004 13:29:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a LaserJet 6MP which is used very little and has not been used
    >> >for quite some time (months).
    >> >
    >> > Now the (three) rubber (?) rollers in the back of the printer are too
    >> >sticky. The paper sticks to the rollers, causing it to bend downwards
    >> >(instead of keeping it straight or bending it up), causing it to curl up
    >> >and causing paper jams.
    >> >
    >> > I have tried to clean the rollers. Spirit [1] seemed to make it worse,
    >> >more sticky. A damp (with water) cloth seemed to help a bit, but only
    >> >for one or two pages.
    >> >
    >> > Is there any way to make these rollers less sticky?
    >> >
    >> > I think that it is very unlikely that I can get replacement rollers
    >> >somewhere (FWIW, I live in The Netherlands, aka "Holland"), not to
    >> >mention that replacing them is probably quite difficult, if at all
    >> >possible.
    >> >
    >> > Any other suggestions?
    >> >
    >> >[1] I don't know if that is the correct English term. Dutch "spiritus".
    >> >It is a kind of cheap cleaning alcohol, just not as pure as normal
    >> >alcohol.

    Go here : www.fixyourownprinter.com
    I have a 6MP and had the same issue you have.
    This company is your answer.
    Cost : $30.00 to 40.00
    Includes a video of how to install the part that will
    fix your problem.

Hewlett Packard Laserjet Computers