im1withthematrix

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
i was just wondering what fsb is. is this front side bus?

does fsb 800 run only at 200 Mhz i am a little confused. i thought that fsb 800 ment that it ran at 800 Mhz.

wi_fuzzy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
In the case of a new p4c(800 fsb)it is in reality 200 mhz front side bus.They call it "quad pumped"..a fancy way of saying 200x4=800.The multiplier on a 3.0 ghz p4c (800 fsb) is 15... 15x200=3000 or 3.0 ghz.Hope that made sense

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, only idiots call it "Quad Pumped", they might as well call it "Quad Humped", but that would be too accurate.

People who know WTF they're talking about call it Quad Data Rate, which actually MEANS something, it runs at 200MHz but with 4x (ie Quad) the transfer rate!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, you have a couple techonolgies here that are rather old and just now starting to be seen on processor busses:

First there was Double Data Rate. This was used in AGP2x to double transfer rates, and in Double Data Rate Memory. Double Data Rate transfers 2 bits per clock per bitpath, using the top and bottom of the cycle.

Quad Data Rate does 4 bits per cycle per bitpath transfers.

Now, MHz is a measure of cycles per second. Not transfers per bitpath per second. Therefore, 200MHz can be "DDR400" or "QDR800", where the inflated numbers are not MHz, but transfers per bitpath per second.

So an "800MHz" bus is not 800MHz at all, but really 200MHz, using Quad Data Rate. It's really 800 transfers per bitpath per second.

AMD was the first CPU manufacturer to apply the MHz name to it. Their lie was so sucessfull that Intel was forced to follow suit.

Now, the CPU has a 64-bit pathway to the memory controller. And DDR SDRAM for the PC is also 64-bit. So with both busses running at 200MHz, you get your memory at DDR400 and your CPU at QDR800. It doesn't line up!

To conquer this performance barrier, SiS and Intel introduced chipsets that made two modules of DDR SDRAM parallel. Parallel transfers make 2 64-bit modules act like 1 128-bit module. So it matches a DDR400/128bit bus to a QDR800/64bit bus, and everything is equal.

So now you know what the truth is. Your bus runs at 200MHz. They lie and call it 800MHz, based on the fact it uses QDR technology. And to get the most from such a processor, you need Dual Channel DDR400 memory (which is called PC3200 because of it's transfer rate).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel calls it "Quad Data Rate". I'm almost certain that "Qaud Pumped" is a name some 12 year old geek in training AMD fanatic came up with.

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Welcome to the world of marketing. It's not that much different from tabloid journalism.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Great description, Crashman. Can we dumb it down a little and stick it on the FAQ so we don't have to go through this every week?

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.web.aplus.net/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>