Windows Update - not working - help!!!

Hi to everyone
I have just built my first PC with a lot of help from a friend. I have
updated all hardware drivers, got an internet connection working, and when I
try to update windows using the Windows Update website, internet explorer
just freezes up before it gets to load the page. The same happens if I try to
update using Help and Support Center within Windows. What am I doing wrong??
Could it be my antivirus, or the wireless router?? I have a Netgear DG834G
wireless router, Netgear WG111 USB wireless adapter, F Secure Internet
Security 2005 as my antivirus. Does anyone have any ideas, can anyone help???
Many thanks

Try: http://www.updatexp.com/0x800A138F.html

Bigweed wrote:
> Hi to everyone
> I have just built my first PC with a lot of help from a friend. I have
> updated all hardware drivers, got an internet connection working, and
> when I try to update windows using the Windows Update website,
> internet explorer just freezes up before it gets to load the page.
> The same happens if I try to update using Help and Support Center
> within Windows. What am I doing wrong?? Could it be my antivirus, or
> the wireless router?? I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router,
> Netgear WG111 USB wireless adapter, F Secure Internet Security 2005
> as my antivirus. Does anyone have any ideas, can anyone help??? Many
> thanks

If you are getting thru to other sites, I would not think it's related to your router or adapter.
One big thing to keep in mind, even if you have broadband/cable, is that it does take time to get the full page at Windows Update.
You'rte using version 5 of Windows Update, and that does take a good while to do its full scanning.

One thing you can clarify is: how far do you get into the page --- before the freeze.

Look for file WindowsUpdate.log in your C:\Windows folder ( or it may be C:\WINNT on your system).

Use Notepad or Wordpad to open & view contents. Scan down to the very bottom. Copy the set of lines for that last session-date & paste back into a reply in here.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User