P4P800 Deluxe - Strange IDE Detecting Issues

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Hi,

I just got the parts for a new system today and am having some really strange problems. When I load the computer it doesn't detect my cd-rom or hard drive and tells me to reboot because it can't find anything to boot from. But, when I go to the bios screen it detects both my cd-rom and hard drive. Here are my (relevant) system specs:

P4 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB
Asus P4P800 Deluxe
2x 512 Mb Corsair XMS Memory
80GB WD Caviar SE HD
Lite-On CD-RW

Any ideas why my bios detects the IDE Devices but my system doesn't recognize them when booting? I've tried messing around with settings in the bios, but I could've missed something.

I know that both my Hard Drive and CD-RW are good because I just transfered them from my last computer.

wi_fuzzy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
you need to "retrain" your operating system.If the HD has an operating system on if it was installed with a different motherboard.In bios..boot section...disable all other boot choices except cdrom.put in you os cd and reboot...if it is xp...i believe you need to choose new install then when it asks you which partition or hd to use select repair if u want to save the info on the hd...new if u want to redoo os...been a while since i did this,hope i explained it correctly.hope this was of help

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I forgot to note that I formatted my HD before moving it between computers. I tried your suggestion anyway but it didn't help.

Also, I receive the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" whenever I boot (unless I go to bios).

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
ok, go into the bios and select non os2 yes, or read on the right the options, one makes windows detect, and one makes the bios do it, yuou want it so windows detects it when loading
i had the same problem.

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I currently have the HD as the primary master and the CD-ROM as the secondary master. They're both set to master. The strange thing though is that the bios reads them correctly while the VIA IDE Controller (i think) doesn't detect them during boot up. It says that there are no devices found for primary master/slave and secondary master/slave.

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
The closest option I can find is the Boot To OS/2 setting which, by default, is set to NO. I tried setting it to YES, but it didn't change anything.

I also tried the Plug and Play OS setting which also had no affect.

Something I should point out if it wasn't clear before: I currently can do nothing except get into the bios. If I try to load I get the error mentioned above and can only reset the computer.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NoUse on 06/07/03 01:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Interesting thing I just noticed:

When I load up the computer it says briefly that it detects an IDE Hard Drive and ATAPI Cd Rom, but when the screen loads for the VIA Technologies RAID Driver (or something of the sort) it then pauses for a second to detect the drives and doesn't find any.

NoUse

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Well, I don't know what to say. I got it to work... somehow. I tried your suggestiong, Grist, but it didn't work at first. Then I reset the bios to default settings, but changed Boot to OS/2 as enabled and PnP OS/2 (i think) as enabled. Then I stuck in the Win 98SE cd, since the XP wasn't working right. I loaded with CD-ROM support and this time, for some reason, it didn't give me an error that I received before saying it couldn't find a driver for the CD-ROM.

So, thanks to everyone for their help. I may be back though. I need to switch my HD for a Raid 0 (2x Raptor) setup and get it to work again. Hopefully it won't be so stubborn this time.

TRENDING THREADS