Fate - it is Diablo lite

Last response: in Video Games
June 6, 2005 4:23:31 PM

Much more like Diablo than Sacred (much more fun too, IMHO) and only
twenty bucks. Download the demo and see if you like it. Seriously,
it's the best Diablo-clone yet and super easy to get into. Put the
difficulty on Legend if you want a challenge, Adventurer if you just
want something to waste time with - no chance of dying. The easiest
mode makes the game playable by the little tykes as well. Fantastic.

http://www.fatethegame.com/

More about : fate diablo lite

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:56:58 PM

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, weretable and the undead chairs
<happy@nightmare.time>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Much more like Diablo than Sacred (much more fun too, IMHO) and only
>twenty bucks. Download the demo and see if you like it. Seriously,
>it's the best Diablo-clone yet and super easy to get into. Put the
>difficulty on Legend if you want a challenge, Adventurer if you just
>want something to waste time with - no chance of dying. The easiest
>mode makes the game playable by the little tykes as well. Fantastic.
>
>http://www.fatethegame.com/

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now...

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
Anonymous

On that special day, weretable and the undead chairs,
(happy@nightmare.time) said...

> http://www.fatethegame.com/

It would be all fine, if there weren't the company behind it.

Read the thread beginning with

The length of the thread shows the complexity of the topic.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:01:07 AM

Gabriele Neukam <Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de> wrote:

>On that special day, weretable and the undead chairs,
>(happy@nightmare.time) said...
>
>> http://www.fatethegame.com/
>
>It would be all fine, if there weren't the company behind it.

Other than unlocking the game, you don't have to let any part of the
installation phone home. I am convinced it does nothing that I would
mind, but I blocked it with my firewall after I purchased it anyway.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 11:40:11 PM

On that special day, weretable and the undead chairs,
(happy@nightmare.time) said...

> >> http://www.fatethegame.com/
> >
> >It would be all fine, if there weren't the company behind it.
>
> Other than unlocking the game, you don't have to let any part of the
> installation phone home. I am convinced it does nothing that I would
> mind, but I blocked it with my firewall after I purchased it anyway.

Ok, but there is one more thing, which is ailing me. I couldn't tell
for quite a while, why the game looked so familiar to me, until I
remembered the other name:

http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/

I hope Wild Tangent didn't *borrow* the code...

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:01:48 PM

weretable and the undead chairs wrote:

> Much more like Diablo than Sacred (much more fun too, IMHO) and only
> twenty bucks. Download the demo and see if you like it. Seriously,
> it's the best Diablo-clone yet and super easy to get into. Put the
> difficulty on Legend if you want a challenge, Adventurer if you just
> want something to waste time with - no chance of dying. The easiest
> mode makes the game playable by the little tykes as well. Fantastic.
>
> http://www.fatethegame.com/

I ran into something with this game-I installed the demo and played
it-not bad, definitely worth buying. Until I ran Spybot. It not only
said it was spyware, it uninstalled and deleted the entire thing!
It appears Wild Tangent is a known baddie.
Soooo-to play the game, install it, but make sure you *DO NOT* allow it
to access the internet in ANY way!!! I set Zone Alarm to prompt me if
anything tries to access the internet that hasn't before. In this case,
I told it NO and to remember it. Then I went into program control and
made sure that all possible access from all the different things it puts
in are blocked. And there's several things that can access the world.
You need to block them all. Now that Spybot has dumped it, I will have
to reinstall and tell spybot to ignore it...

Just thought I'd pass that on to all-BEWARE!

Jim
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:24:29 PM

rdude <rdude@nospam.net> wrote:

>> You can unlock the game and then tell your firewall to never let it
>> connect to the net again if you would like. And on the WT forums the
>> guy that made the game itself tells you how to remove the bit that
>> accesses the net if you are paranoid about it. The main thing it does
>> is activate the game.
>
>I'll have to look that up-I assume you mean forums in the WT site itself.

Yeah.

WT's official statement on Spyware:

http://support.wildgames.com/wt_nsp.html

Oh, this is something too... the guy that made it comments in this
thread:

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18...

>> I use Spybot too, but WT is not the only thing it marks as spyware
>> that really isn't.
>
>Maybe it depends on your definition of spyware. To me, a program that
>sends personal information to someone without your knowledge is spyware.
>If I hadn't had ZA running, I never would've known it was accessing the
>internet.

I do not consider anonymous statistics "personal", so that is our
difference. If I find out software is taking something that I do
consider personal, it is coming off my system. That will include Fate
if in the future it turns out to be doing more than I am aware of.

It is a great game but after you read up on it if you are still
unhappy with it, stay away. I just wanted to share the game with
others since I love it. I won't be playing for a while though... I
crushed the end of my finger yesterday. Literally smashed the bones
in it. I am typing one handed and it is a huge pain in the ass so I
think I am staying off usenet for a while after this post. heh. =)
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:19:42 PM

weretable and the undead chairs wrote:

> rdude <rdude@nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>>You can unlock the game and then tell your firewall to never let it
>>>connect to the net again if you would like. And on the WT forums the
>>>guy that made the game itself tells you how to remove the bit that
>>>accesses the net if you are paranoid about it. The main thing it does
>>>is activate the game.
>>
>>I'll have to look that up-I assume you mean forums in the WT site itself.
>

> Yeah.
>
> WT's official statement on Spyware:
>
> http://support.wildgames.com/wt_nsp.html
>
> Oh, this is something too... the guy that made it comments in this
> thread:
>
> http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18...

Good reading-and I think I see that while the processes that it puts in
are still troubling, it looks like they can be dumped without killing
the game, or at least prevented from starting up at boot.

>>>I use Spybot too, but WT is not the only thing it marks as spyware
>>>that really isn't.
>>
>>Maybe it depends on your definition of spyware. To me, a program that
>>sends personal information to someone without your knowledge is spyware.
>>If I hadn't had ZA running, I never would've known it was accessing the
>>internet.
>

> I do not consider anonymous statistics "personal", so that is our
> difference. If I find out software is taking something that I do
> consider personal, it is coming off my system. That will include Fate
> if in the future it turns out to be doing more than I am aware of.

I think it's more a case of it not telling you about it, and not asking
your permission to do it.
I also have problems with it not giving you an option of which drive to
put it in, but again, it looks like you can just copy the folder and fix
the shortcuts.

> It is a great game but after you read up on it if you are still
> unhappy with it, stay away. I just wanted to share the game with
> others since I love it.

And I expect I will put it back in soon too, probably even buy the full
version. $20 is a good deal for a game like this.

I won't be playing for a while though... I
> crushed the end of my finger yesterday. Literally smashed the bones
> in it. I am typing one handed and it is a huge pain in the ass so I
> think I am staying off usenet for a while after this post. heh. =)

OWWWW!!! Yeah, that'll slow ya down...|cP
Hope that heals up quick!

Oh, and thanks for head-up on the game, it *is* worth digging into!
I especially like the pets. The cat comes up looking just like our
youngest, so I named him the same...Batty, which is short for LaBatt,
like the beer. His older brother is Micky, short for Michelob...heh.
Next one will be Sammy, short for Sambadoro, a specialty beer
from...Brazil I think...
---
Jim
!