Going to Canada-- What do I do?

Last response: in Network Providers
June 23, 2004 2:03:43 PM

I have the regular America's Choice plan, and I don't want to upgrade to the
North America plan. I'm going to Whistler BC (2.5 hours from Vancouver),
and I don't think my Verizon cellphone will get coverage there.

I have a GSM world phone. Is there a way to buy a disposable GSM simcard
that I can use while I'm up there, for a reasonable cost?

If I use my Verizon phone, how badly can I expect to be hit for per-minute
charges?

Thanks!

More about : canada

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 9:12:29 PM

"Admiral" <jamesadmDELETE_THE_0BVI0US@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I have the regular America's Choice plan, and I don't want to upgrade to
the
> North America plan. I'm going to Whistler BC (2.5 hours from Vancouver),
> and I don't think my Verizon cellphone will get coverage there.
>
> I have a GSM world phone. Is there a way to buy a disposable GSM simcard
> that I can use while I'm up there, for a reasonable cost?
>
> If I use my Verizon phone, how badly can I expect to be hit for per-minute
> charges?
>
> Thanks!

..69 Cents per minute Incoming and outgoing. A regular phone call from there
to the states is probably cheaper. Or buy a pre-paid phone card which may be
even cheaper.

Elector
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 9:43:30 PM

In article <RJiCc.6874$7H1.5223@fe39.usenetserver.com>,
Admiral <jamesadmDELETE_THE_0BVI0US@earthlink.net> wrote:
>I have the regular America's Choice plan, and I don't want to upgrade to the
>North America plan. I'm going to Whistler BC (2.5 hours from Vancouver),
>and I don't think my Verizon cellphone will get coverage there.
>
>I have a GSM world phone. Is there a way to buy a disposable GSM simcard
>that I can use while I'm up there, for a reasonable cost?
>
>If I use my Verizon phone, how badly can I expect to be hit for per-minute
>charges?
>
>Thanks!

You could get a Fido or Rogers prepaid SIM. Both have coverage in
Whistler itself. Fido is cheaper (as low as C$0.15/minute +
C$0.10/minute for long distance to the U.S./Canada, if applicable).

Otherwise, the NAC plan should give you coverage there without
roaming charges. It is covered by Telus Mobility.
Related resources
June 24, 2004 4:21:06 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:03:43 -0700, "Admiral"
<jamesadmDELETE_THE_0BVI0US@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have the regular America's Choice plan, and I don't want to upgrade to the
>North America plan. I'm going to Whistler BC (2.5 hours from Vancouver),
>and I don't think my Verizon cellphone will get coverage there.
>
>I have a GSM world phone. Is there a way to buy a disposable GSM simcard
>that I can use while I'm up there, for a reasonable cost?

If you have no digital CDMA coverage at Whistler you for sure won't
have GSM coverage. However, Fido/Microcell does have service at
Whistler. You can get a prepaid SIM from any Fido Flagship store
(not independent dealer.)
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:51:03 PM

I looked into the pre-paid card (AT&T at Sam's Club) and had to call
CS for a rate quote. She stated that in Canada the card would be
billed at 5 min for every minute used. Since the card is ranked at
about 3.5 cents per minute that is about 17 cents per minute.

But wait. If you use the pre-paid card on anything other than a
standard telephone there are all kinds of surcharges that are applied.
If you use a "pay phone" there is a 15 minute (or more) charged to the
card (52 cents). So you first minute would cost 69 cents and
additional minutes at 17 cents per minute.

jeb

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:12:29 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>"Admiral" <jamesadmDELETE_THE_0BVI0US@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I have the regular America's Choice plan, and I don't want to upgrade to
>the
>> North America plan. I'm going to Whistler BC (2.5 hours from Vancouver),
>> and I don't think my Verizon cellphone will get coverage there.
>>
>> I have a GSM world phone. Is there a way to buy a disposable GSM simcard
>> that I can use while I'm up there, for a reasonable cost?
>>
>> If I use my Verizon phone, how badly can I expect to be hit for per-minute
>> charges?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>.69 Cents per minute Incoming and outgoing. A regular phone call from there
>to the states is probably cheaper. Or buy a pre-paid phone card which may be
>even cheaper.
>
>Elector

October 1, 2012 9:56:28 AM

A prepaid global SIM card is for those who is thinking of using his mobile overseas and do not want to pay the huge roaming charges by taking their GSM mobile along with them. Now, you can buy the SIM card before you leave home and also rent the GSM mobile that will work all over the world. international SIM
!