setting up a cble connection

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have a broadband connection. I have just installed Win XP Pro on a new
computer and want to connect to install the initial updates. The new
machine is based on a Gigabyte motherboard and has 2 on-board LAN Ports, one
Gigabyte Ethernet and the other Gigabyte Ethernet (PCI-E Gigabit). Both
provide data speeds of 10/100/1000Mbps.

The instruction manual originally provided by my ISP refers to the necessity
of configuring the computer for access to its services and to do this it
says the TCP/IP stack in the computer must be configured.

My old system (Win ME) has been reformatted several times and reconnecting
to the net has simply been a question of inserting the ISP's CD and filling
in my username and password. I've never had to think about confuring the
TCP/IP stack or use any wizards. The ISP's CD handled everything.

That process isn't working when I plug the Ethernet cable into the new WinXp
machine and insert the CD .

Is a new install of Win XP 'internet ready' or do settings need to be made?
Internet Explorer is on the desktop but I'm loathe to start blindly delving
into stuff like TCP/IP stacks which is way beyond my know-how.

Is there a standard procedure for establishing a broadband connection or do
I, as the displayed message informs me have to contact the ISP's helpline,
usually a lengthy, time consuming process.

Tia,

RoS
3 answers Last reply
More about setting cble connection
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    There is a wizard for almost everything in XP... click
    START/hover on ALL Programs/Accessories/Communication and
    you'll see New Connection Wizard

    "RoS" <kermitbaby@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    |I have a broadband connection. I have just installed Win
    XP Pro on a new
    | computer and want to connect to install the initial
    updates. The new
    | machine is based on a Gigabyte motherboard and has 2
    on-board LAN Ports, one
    | Gigabyte Ethernet and the other Gigabyte Ethernet (PCI-E
    Gigabit). Both
    | provide data speeds of 10/100/1000Mbps.
    |
    | The instruction manual originally provided by my ISP
    refers to the necessity
    | of configuring the computer for access to its services and
    to do this it
    | says the TCP/IP stack in the computer must be configured.
    |
    | My old system (Win ME) has been reformatted several times
    and reconnecting
    | to the net has simply been a question of inserting the
    ISP's CD and filling
    | in my username and password. I've never had to think
    about confuring the
    | TCP/IP stack or use any wizards. The ISP's CD handled
    everything.

    | That process isn't working when I plug the Ethernet cable
    into the new WinXp
    | machine and insert the CD .
    |
    | Is a new install of Win XP 'internet ready' or do settings
    need to be made?
    | Internet Explorer is on the desktop but I'm loathe to
    start blindly delving
    | into stuff like TCP/IP stacks which is way beyond my
    know-how.

    | Is there a standard procedure for establishing a broadband
    connection or do
    | I, as the displayed message informs me have to contact the
    ISP's helpline,
    | usually a lengthy, time consuming process.
    |
    | Tia,
    |
    | RoS

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    You may need to install the driver from the motherboard CD first, usually
    this is all you will need to do as XP is very network friendly (almost too
    friendly), otherwise click start/run and type netsetup.exe to run the setup
    wizard.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "RoS" <kermitbaby@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    >I have a broadband connection. I have just installed Win XP Pro on a new
    > computer and want to connect to install the initial updates. The new
    > machine is based on a Gigabyte motherboard and has 2 on-board LAN Ports,
    > one
    > Gigabyte Ethernet and the other Gigabyte Ethernet (PCI-E Gigabit). Both
    > provide data speeds of 10/100/1000Mbps.
    >
    > The instruction manual originally provided by my ISP refers to the
    > necessity
    > of configuring the computer for access to its services and to do this it
    > says the TCP/IP stack in the computer must be configured.
    >
    > My old system (Win ME) has been reformatted several times and reconnecting
    > to the net has simply been a question of inserting the ISP's CD and
    > filling
    > in my username and password. I've never had to think about confuring the
    > TCP/IP stack or use any wizards. The ISP's CD handled everything.
    >
    > That process isn't working when I plug the Ethernet cable into the new
    > WinXp
    > machine and insert the CD .
    >
    > Is a new install of Win XP 'internet ready' or do settings need to be
    > made?
    > Internet Explorer is on the desktop but I'm loathe to start blindly
    > delving
    > into stuff like TCP/IP stacks which is way beyond my know-how.
    >
    > Is there a standard procedure for establishing a broadband connection or
    > do
    > I, as the displayed message informs me have to contact the ISP's helpline,
    > usually a lengthy, time consuming process.
    >
    > Tia,
    >
    > RoS

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    ISP's news server had a group where I was pointed to a site where an updated
    ISP broadband cable client could be downloaded. Had searched the ISP site
    byt hadn't found this site. When copied to a CD, the whole process went
    through in 15 secs!
    RoS

Internet Service Providers Connection Windows XP