A7N8X Deluxe POST Problem (Can't get it to)

brettbattles

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
I apologize for the newbie question, but here goes:

I recently bought:
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
AMD 2800+ Barton
(2) Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT
ATI 9700 Pro

I installed everything into the case, and powered up, things went well until it tried to Boot the OS, and said that there was a problem with the drive/disk, checked everything out, BIOS looking at the right drive, jumpers on the drive set correctly, try again, same problem, so I decide to take out the hard drive, and just see if I can boot to a floppy, that worked. Next I reinstalled the hard drive and double checking everything, still won't boot. One more try, and this time she won't even POST. I uninstalled the HD again, and still won't post. The PS fans turn, the CPU fans turn, the video card fans turn, but nothing else happens.

Help

endyen

Splendid
Are you trying to boot from a harddrive that had windows xp already loaded on it? Wont work! Proprietary copyright protection. Put the xp cd in your cd drive and boot to it.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
What power supply are you using?

Also, try removing EVERYTHING from the board EXCEPT the CPU, ONE memory module and video card (if possible use an older video card, rather than your Radeon 9700 Pro). If now doesn't post, then there might be a problem with your mobo.

brettbattles

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2003
Well I cleared the cmos, and she posted just fine.

I was trying to use a HD that already had XP installed on it. That is interesting. Explain how this copyright protection works.