Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

On start up the first time in the morning only a few of the start ups
load. I can do a log off and restart and all is well.
I have checked all the settings against another computer I have and
they are the same.
Any Help at all will do.
Thanks

GreyTop wrote:
> On start up the first time in the morning only a few of the start ups
> load. I can do a log off and restart and all is well.
> I have checked all the settings against another computer I have and
> they are the same.
> Any Help at all will do.
> Thanks

Odd behavior indeed. Start by making a list of all of your startup programs, and a list of which ones do not show up at 1st start up.
You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
That would help you get a complete list.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:46:38 -0500, "Maurice N ~ MVP"
<maurice@mvps.org> wrote:

>GreyTop wrote:
>> On start up the first time in the morning only a few of the start ups
>> load. I can do a log off and restart and all is well.
>> I have checked all the settings against another computer I have and
>> they are the same.
>> Any Help at all will do.
>> Thanks
>
>Odd behavior indeed. Start by making a list of all of your startup programs, and a list of which ones do not show up at 1st start up.
>You may go to www.dougknox.com and download Doug's Startup tracker.
>That would help you get a complete list.

Since last post I have done a delete of the icons in the registry and
let it rebuild. It worked fine last night however this morning it did
it again. I know what loads and what does not. This morning in the
past items list the ones that did not load were in there a log off and
restart loaded all icons OK and there was no items in the past list.
By the way I am running XP Pro with all updates applied. I have 768
memory and 15 gig disk space left on c: and 40 gigs left on my other
hard drive.

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:35:42 -0700, GreyTop wrote:

> On start up the first time in the morning only a few of the start ups
> load. I can do a log off and restart and all is well.
> I have checked all the settings against another computer I have and
> they are the same.
> Any Help at all will do.
> Thanks

Greytop, this has been a flaw in many versions of Windows. During the
startup process, the tray is also loading. Because so much is going on, an
icon may fail to load. Unless a "retry" is built into the mechanism loading
a particular icon, it will not attempt to reload. And even with retry
builtin... well, sometimes tray icons just don't show up.

When you log off/log on, some code stays in memory and any icons that start
from that user's registry hive get a second chance at loading successfully.
This may be the most efficient (if not most desirable) solution to the
whole mess.

You could try mixing up what icons or programs load at startup. One extra
busy icon (one that's launching a program, checking for updates, checking
for necessary repairs, etc) will hog the show and cause others to fail. Or
it may be two tray icons with conflicting code causing one of the two (or
other icons) to fail. Or a background program (even one with no tray icon)
that causes other things to fail.

Many possible "whys" and while you might be successful in finding a "good
mix" to get the results that you want, this could end up being an exercise
similar to "needle in haystack."

NOTE: Also saw your post about Past Items. That list should be empty after
having run the fix you were referred to. XP should eventually rebuild a
current "past items" list but it could take a little time.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:52:02 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:35:42 -0700, GreyTop wrote:
>
>> On start up the first time in the morning only a few of the start ups
>> load. I can do a log off and restart and all is well.
>> I have checked all the settings against another computer I have and
>> they are the same.
>> Any Help at all will do.
>> Thanks
>
>Greytop, this has been a flaw in many versions of Windows. During the
>startup process, the tray is also loading. Because so much is going on, an
>icon may fail to load. Unless a "retry" is built into the mechanism loading
>a particular icon, it will not attempt to reload. And even with retry
>builtin... well, sometimes tray icons just don't show up.
>
>When you log off/log on, some code stays in memory and any icons that start
>from that user's registry hive get a second chance at loading successfully.
>This may be the most efficient (if not most desirable) solution to the
>whole mess.
>
>You could try mixing up what icons or programs load at startup. One extra
>busy icon (one that's launching a program, checking for updates, checking
>for necessary repairs, etc) will hog the show and cause others to fail. Or
>it may be two tray icons with conflicting code causing one of the two (or
>other icons) to fail. Or a background program (even one with no tray icon)
>that causes other things to fail.
>
>Many possible "whys" and while you might be successful in finding a "good
>mix" to get the results that you want, this could end up being an exercise
>similar to "needle in haystack."
>
>NOTE: Also saw your post about Past Items. That list should be empty after
>having run the fix you were referred to. XP should eventually rebuild a
>current "past items" list but it could take a little time.

The above NOTE is the strange part of this after running the fix on
first boot all is well with no past items. On next boot the icons in
questions(ie not loading) they are in past items and not loaded.
You are right about the needle in the hay stack. I guess I will have
to continue to use the log off option and restart untill something
better come along.
What would a repair install do for me? If I thought it would work I
would endure the hassle to do it.

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:42:49 -0700, GreyTop wrote:

> The above NOTE is the strange part of this after running the fix on
> first boot all is well with no past items. On next boot the icons in
> questions(ie not loading) they are in past items and not loaded.
> You are right about the needle in the hay stack. I guess I will have
> to continue to use the log off option and restart untill something
> better come along.
> What would a repair install do for me? If I thought it would work I
> would endure the hassle to do it.

A repair install of Windows? Which icons are not loading? If they are icons
added by applications, it is highly unlikely a repair install of Windows
would help. I don't hold much hope for tray icons from Windows components
either.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Greytop

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 06:24:11 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:42:49 -0700, GreyTop wrote:
>
>> The above NOTE is the strange part of this after running the fix on
>> first boot all is well with no past items. On next boot the icons in
>> questions(ie not loading) they are in past items and not loaded.
>> You are right about the needle in the hay stack. I guess I will have
>> to continue to use the log off option and restart untill something
>> better come along.
>> What would a repair install do for me? If I thought it would work I
>> would endure the hassle to do it.
>
>A repair install of Windows? Which icons are not loading? If they are icons
>added by applications, it is highly unlikely a repair install of Windows
>would help. I don't hold much hope for tray icons from Windows components
>either.

Well it does not matter much now as that hard drive went belly up this
morning and it is now in the shop.
I am now wondering if the pending failure was the problem.
Luck was with me this time as I imaged the drive yesterday.
I will post back when it is returned from repair.

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:13:54 -0700, GreyTop wrote:

> Well it does not matter much now as that hard drive went belly up this
> morning and it is now in the shop.
> I am now wondering if the pending failure was the problem.
> Luck was with me this time as I imaged the drive yesterday.
> I will post back when it is returned from repair.

A failing hard drive could contribute to and emphasize the problem but,
like I said before, this is an inherent weakness with Windows. Good luck
with the repaired/new drive.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User