amphibious

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
I put together a Pentium 4 system last night, when I plug in power a little LED lights up on the motherboard, when I turn the power on the CPU fan goes on, the CD-ROM, and HD spin up, but the video card sends no signal to the monitor. The monitor works. Here are all the various configurations I've tried...

First boot up, everything is attached:
Topower 420w P4 Approved Power Supply
Intel Pentium 4-C 2.4GHz
Intel D865GBFL Motherboard
2x 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR Ram
Western Digital 120GB HD
Cendyne 4x DVD+R
Cendyne 48x CD-RW
Matrox G450 32MB AGP Video
Promise Ultra133 TX2 Controller Card
D-Link 802.11b Card

So I remove some stuff and try this:
Intel Pentium 4-C 2.4GHz
Western Digital 120GB HD
Matrox G450 32MB AGP Video

Same result... no output to the monitor.

Then I try this:
Intel Pentium 4-C 2.4GHz
Onboard Video

So I pull the BIOS jumper, rejumper it, try again, no output. Pop out the battery, try again, no output. Now I swap around the RAM, all the different single and double stick configurations, no output with each configuration.

Now I go get another motherboard, it's an ASUS Xsomething... brand new, supports hyperthreading. I try it first with an ASUS TNT2 video card, no output... then again with my Matrox G450, no output. So now I try out some SDRAM from my old computer since this board supports SD and DDR... I just try one stick in the two available slots, no video output during power-up on either.

So I go return the motherboard and get a new processor (this time a 2.6GHz P4-C, pop it in the Intel board with the bare configuration (PS, CPU, RAM, onboard video) power it up... STILL NO VIDEO OUTPUT!

So now I know something is massively wrong... What the heck could be the problem? Somebody suggested the apartments wiring... The apartment I live in is 80 years old, but the power has never been an issue before, I am a musician and I have two 12u racks full of synths that I use all the time. Could it be the power supply? I does power up the HD, CDs, CPU fan, case fan, etc...

Anything else I could try? I think I'm going to try to use the power supply on my old system and see if that could be it... but in any case, I'm totally stumped any leads would be awesome.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The mobo might be short to the chassis (case). Have you tried to boot it outside the case?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
definelty bench test it.
put it on a piece of cardboard or the box it came in, put in the cpu, memory, vid card only, add power, then use a screw driver and touch the 4ht and 5th i believe, (check where the power switch connects) for abotu 3 seconds and it should post.
make sure to plug in the 4 prong 12v power cable to the mobo too.
if it posts and you get signal youll know you were probably shorting on the case somewhere.
at that point i shut down and add all my other components and test it again, matter of fact i loaded windows from a bench test position saturday,

if you still dont get signal listen for beeps, take out the vid card, re-install it, make sure it is properly seated, same with the memory although memory would be beeping like crazy.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
exactly...lay the mobo on the antistatic bag and hook up all components and boot!!...just like the others have said

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

ahh topower? i never heard of them

Did you plug in the mini 12volt 4 pin lin into the board? you have the normal atx power connector and then you have the 4 pin power connector also?

if it's not that it's definitly your power supply. get a new one. I recommend a brand name one! get Enermax!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>