Question on autochek error

Recently I start to see strange stuff during booting as below:

System root\windows\system32\autochk.exe program not found.
Skipping autocheck

When I checked, I see autochk.exe under system32. I wonder what is this
error.
How can I get rid of this nuissance? OS is WinXP pro/SP2.

Craig

macho wrote:
> Recently I start to see strange stuff during booting as below:
>
> System root\windows\system32\autochk.exe program not found.
> Skipping autocheck
>
> When I checked, I see autochk.exe under system32. I wonder what is
> this error.
> How can I get rid of this nuissance? OS is WinXP pro/SP2.
>
> Craig

Craig,
It will be hard to tell why this started happening. Running CHKDSK (as in following) *may* help.

Run CHKDSK from within Recovery Console. *Presuming you have a full retail CD version of Windows XP*.
( If you don't have the XP CD, or have an OEM version of XP, it may be possible to run Recovery Console by booting up from XP setup diskettes.)

#1. Run CHKDSK in XP Recovery Console:
Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console.
Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator password (if your setup had a password; otherwise press Enter).

Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery Console /P replaces /F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the
"dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User

Hi,

Autochk.exe is called as part of the disk checker. Reset it by running
chkntfs /d from a command prompt.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"macho" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently I start to see strange stuff during booting as below:
>
> System root\windows\system32\autochk.exe program not found.
> Skipping autocheck
>
> When I checked, I see autochk.exe under system32. I wonder what is this
> error.
> How can I get rid of this nuissance? OS is WinXP pro/SP2.
>
> Craig

Hi Rick,

>chkntfs /d from a command prompt.

That took care of it. Could you please tell me what causes autchk problem?
TIA. craig

> Hi,
>
> Autochk.exe is called as part of the disk checker. Reset it by running
> chkntfs /d from a command prompt.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

It's just that the dirty bit got set and wasn't clearing. Could be from an
improper shutdown, or it could have been an intentional run that never
completed. There's also a known issue with HP scanners and some driver
sets.