Sign in with
Your question

Can't Delete Files After SP2 Install

Tags:
  • Font
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 12, 2004 6:55:19 AM

Installed XP SP2. Everything seemed OK at first.
However when I right click on a file the folder that is open locks up.
For Example:
Open the folder My Pictures
I can open a picture file
If I right click on the file the folder My Pictures stops responding
However I do not have a problem deleting folders. I just can't delete files.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>

More about : delete files sp2 install

August 12, 2004 12:38:06 PM

No problems here. I have mine in thumbnails. Can right click on them, open them, and delete them.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA
August 12, 2004 3:35:45 PM

I just deleted and restored several text files, then several photo files - things were normal here ... so far. I'll play with all my apps today to see what got hosed, if anything.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>
Related resources
August 12, 2004 4:04:46 PM

It's definitely messed up.
I cannot delete a file within a folder. I can delete folders.
When I right click on a file or click on file from the tool bar the computer locks up.
I was thinking it could be setting under files or something to do with a security setting.
The only way I can delete a file is to make a folder move the file I want to delete to the folder then delete the folder I made.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
August 12, 2004 4:25:56 PM

I have to ask - Have you check permissions on the file? Reset permission - who is the owner etc. anything in the event logs? You could turn on system audit to find out what has access or not.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>
August 12, 2004 11:55:14 PM

Well I fixed the problem.
I don't know how I did it.
At first I thought it was a security setting with my user account. The computer has one user account which is defaulted as the administrator account.
I made a new user account with admin privledges. With that account I reset the security settings of the original account. Then I logged into the original user account and deleted the new user account.
This did not fix the problem with the original user account. I still could not right click on a file without the computer locking up. Although when I made the new user account with admin privledges I could right click on a file without any problems.
Next I picked a jpg file right clicked on it while logged into the original user account. The computer locked up but this time I left it for a few minutes to see what happened. Finally an error message popped up. It said that Dr Watson crashed and it was a Win32 file. So I let the crash report file go to MS. What confused me was I don't have Dr. Watson software installed which means its now part of Windows. It must be part of their new security package.
Since I still had the problem and I was fairly convinced it was a user security setting I started using Windows Help and Support to find out ways to change my personal security settings with files and folders. No luck there.
When I right click on file choose properties their isn't a security tab to open. WTF starting to get annoyed now. How was I supposed to change security and permissions when the administrator account doesn't have access to these settings? The doom of doing a re and re was closing in.
Last shot at using Hell and Denial (Help and Support) I found an article explaining how to use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Of course this software isn't fully functional with WinXP SP2. But I was running out of options so I installed it and ran it anyway. It found a security setting vulneralblty with Internet Information Services and a fix for it. Odd how the fix wasn't available from Windows Update? Installed the fix.
I also defragmented the hard drive and used chkdsk utility. Before running MBSA.
Anyway the problem is gone. I can right click on any file without the computer locking up. And I can delete them too.
Although I don't know what fixed the problem.
It could have been:
chkdsk
Disk Defragmenter
MBSA to identify IIS security vulnerablity

My opinion of SP2. It's a pain to install. I'm disappointed. With all the hype around this service pack I thought it was going to make radical changes that could be visually seen. Also I was under the impression that it was going to be bundled with a whole new version of Windows Media Player. Where is all the eye candy I was promised? Not that WinXP needs anymore eye candy. :lol: 

August 13, 2004 1:42:03 AM

Da<b></b>mn Zyp ... glad that hasn't happened to me ... yet. Post a link to the help/KB article and the app/tool if you still have it.

<b> ...more people are driven insane through religious hysteria than by drinking alcohol - W.C. Fields </b>
August 13, 2004 5:20:22 AM

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahom..." target="_new">Micosoft Baseline Security Analyzer</A>

Copied From Hell and Denial.

Finding out about your computer's securityComputer security, security vulnerabilities, and threats are a concern not only to information technology (IT) professionals, but also to anyone who uses a computer. Most companies, and many home users, live with "always on" connections to the Internet – connections that expose them to the inherent risks of viruses, intrusions, denial of service attacks, and other threats.

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is a tool that allows a home user or IT professional to scan Microsoft Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations. MBSA can scan Windows servers and work stations for potential security vulnerabilites in the operating system and other installed components, such as Internet Information Services (IIS) and Microsoft SQL Server. It can also check whether they are up to date with respect to critical security updates. Descriptions of each check are detailed in a security report that includes instructions for fixing any issues that were found.

MBSA can be installed on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer for local scans, and can remotely scan Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 computers. The tool includes a command line interface for scheduling scans and a graphical interface for performing scans and viewing security reports.

For more information about MBSA, and to download the tool, visit the MBSA page on the Microsoft Web site.

Note

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

August 13, 2004 12:05:41 PM

Thanks.

August 14, 2004 12:05:13 AM

I had the same problem before SP1.
August 14, 2004 12:22:34 AM

How did you fix it?

It seems to be an intermittent problem for me.
I think I have it fixed then it comes back.

August 14, 2004 1:32:49 PM

I honestly don't know, just got use to it I suppose then it was gone. It may be in the explorer/tools/folder options/view tab > reset all folders or enable simple file sharing perhaps!
But i probably will be awake all night thinking about it. :frown:

*edit*
You could try start/run/ "sfc /scannow" (no quotes of course)with the o/s cd in the cdrom drive, this checks that all windows files are in the correct place.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 08/14/04 09:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 14, 2004 4:21:58 PM

Zpyrd - I ran across this link of SP2 fixes ... didn't read it all (yet), but you might find some help or answers here:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q811113" target="_new">List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2</A> ... seems M$ knew there would be problems.

August 15, 2004 6:38:25 AM

Well after playing around I found out it is explorer.exe that stops responding when I right click on a file.

August 15, 2004 4:09:43 PM

One person has a problem the other doesn't, yet its the same install, it has to be hardware configuration differences causing these problems if each of you would post your hardware specs, 9 times out of 10 the same hardware is producing the same problems.

Microsoft knows this is going to happen, thats part of the reason IBM is holding back until MS solves these problems, IBM cannot afford to discover these problems the hard way, it would loose too much money.

Each user posting their specs will greatly aid all in discovering where the problems are coming from, and what hardware configurations are causing them, IE; M/B, RAM, Video, Sound, NIC, Modem, ETC., One could be running the same configuration as you but a different Video card and be having no problems at all, so obviously that type video card is causing the trouble, with the same M/B as the other is using with no problems at all.

There are a host of other reasons, but It was impossible for MS even in the BETA testing to prepare for every hardware configuration out here, but the tested ones shouldn't have a problem at all, so now some out here, have become MS field testing guinnae pigs. And the job is far from over.

<A HREF="http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JAS 4:7-10;&language=english&version=KJV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=largeprint" target="_new">><></A>
August 16, 2004 2:44:21 AM

I spent the day on a reformat and reinstall.
This time around I didn't install Norton System Works 2004 and Norton AntiSpam 2004. I also didn't install the bloatware thats included with the Audigy 2 soundcard.
I decided to use the AntiVirus program that Microsoft bundled with their secuity update CD that came out a few months ago (EZ Armor from Computer Associates).
I did run into a problem with Nero 6 Ultra Edition. It would crash and restart the computer. No error report. But finally after ten restarts a report was generated. It turned out to be an issue with the Raid Edition of the Intel Application Accelerator. Downloaded an update and it seemed to have fixed the problem. I have no idea why the problem didn't happen with my previous install.
I still don't know why right clicking on a file cause Windows Explorer to crash.
After the re and re the problem is no more.
I have to say it had to do with a software and service configuration. Maybe Norton. Maybe IIS. Maybe the FTP server I had set up.
I'm not using the FTP server anymore. It was more of a pain to keep it up and running on a dynamic IP service.

Whether I installed the network edition for SP2 or waited for the Windows Update version. I bet the right click issue with Windows Explorer would have occurred.

Here is my set up.

Prescott P4 3.2GHz
Intel D875PBZLK motherboard Gigabit LAN Onboard
OCZ 2 X 512MB PC3200 Dual Channel
Two Western Digital 1200JD Serial ATA Hard Drives Raid 0
Lite On DVDRW SOHW-812S
Standard Floppy Drive
ATi Radeon 9800 XT
ATi TV Wonder Pro
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2
Microsoft Keyboard
Microsoft Mouse
Samsung SyncMaster 173T LCD Monitor
Altec Lansing 2 speaker with sub woofer
HP935 Digital Camera with Docking Station
Viewsonic Pocket PC
Lexmark X75 All In One Printer Scanner

I honestly think my problem with SP2 was a problem with my specific software and service configuration.
Although I am not looking forward to updating my notebook system. I'm going to wait until I can download SP2 from Windows Update to install SP2 on my notebook.

August 16, 2004 2:54:27 AM

You know Zyprd - I kinda had a feeling it was software and services. We've all "tweaked" our systems" - and that may have created issues.

I did run Nero - and was prompted to get an update. I did - and now, no problems.

Thanks for the update and info.

August 16, 2004 3:01:17 AM

I knew about the update and installed it before I installed SP2 from my first try at installing SP2.
The problem with the Raid Edition of Intel Application Accelerator threw me off guard since it wasn't an issue with my original install. To much troubleshooting today. Now I have a headache.

The update I mentioned before was a newer version of Raid Edition of the Intel Application Accelerator. The new version fixed the hard crash that happened when opening Nero Express. The problem was with the Nero Info Tool.

!