The page cannot be displayed

I am having a problem with internet explorer.I am running xp home and have my
computer subdivided into two users. Both users are administrator accounts.
One user works perfect. The other cannot access the internet. Anytime I try
to access the internet, I keep getting ( The page cannot be displayed. Can
not find server. Browser problems etc dns error) Even my programs that
needs the internet for updates, Norton etc. cannot log on. I have gone to
network connections and my computer keeps telling me that both users are
connected. I am using high speed cable for access. Does anyone have any ideas
what could be going wrong? I am at a lost
Getting tried of computers Larry F
6 answers Last reply
More about page displayed

    Hi Larry,

    How was the connection initially established? By installing something
    provided to you by the service provider? If so, you likely need to reinstall
    it under the other user's account.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Larry F" <LarryF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with internet explorer.I am running xp home and have
    >my
    > computer subdivided into two users. Both users are administrator
    > accounts.
    > One user works perfect. The other cannot access the internet. Anytime I
    > try
    > to access the internet, I keep getting ( The page cannot be displayed. Can
    > not find server. Browser problems etc dns error) Even my programs that
    > needs the internet for updates, Norton etc. cannot log on. I have gone to
    > network connections and my computer keeps telling me that both users are
    > connected. I am using high speed cable for access. Does anyone have any
    > ideas
    > what could be going wrong? I am at a lost
    > Getting tried of computers Larry F

    "Larry F" <LarryF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am having a problem with internet explorer.I am running xp home and have
    > my
    > computer subdivided into two users. Both users are administrator
    > accounts.
    > One user works perfect. The other cannot access the internet. Anytime I
    > try
    > to access the internet, I keep getting ( The page cannot be displayed. Can
    > not find server. Browser problems etc dns error) Even my programs that
    > needs the internet for updates, Norton etc. cannot log on. I have gone to
    > network connections and my computer keeps telling me that both users are
    > connected. I am using high speed cable for access. Does anyone have any
    > ideas
    > what could be going wrong? I am at a lost
    > Getting tried of computers Larry F

    Get LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
    versions)
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
    http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
    Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
    WinXP:
    Get WinSockxpFix
    How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    WinXP SP2: You can go to Start | Run and type
    CMD
    In the command window type
    netsh winsock reset

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    > "Larry F" <LarryF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > I am having a problem with internet explorer.
    > > [....]
    > > Anytime I try to access the internet, I keep getting
    > > ( The page cannot be displayed. Can
    > > not find server. Browser problems etc dns error)
    > [....]
    > Get LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks

    Thanks for pointing this out.

    My question: do you have any how this situation arises?

    I have a similar problem; and I notice that at least one
    other person posted a similar question.

    I wonder if we all have something in common. My problem
    appeared soon (perhaps coincidentally) after I used Comcast
    HSI for the first time.

    Thanks very much Frank You cured my problem The whole system is go
    Thanks again

    > Thanks very much Frank You cured my problem The whole system is go
    > Thanks again

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP wrote:
    >> "Larry F" <LarryF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>> I am having a problem with internet explorer.
    >>> [....]
    >>> Anytime I try to access the internet, I keep getting
    >>> ( The page cannot be displayed. Can
    >>> not find server. Browser problems etc dns error)
    >> [....]
    >> Get LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks
    >
    > Thanks for pointing this out.
    >
    > My question: do you have any how this situation arises?
    >
    > I have a similar problem; and I notice that at least one
    > other person posted a similar question.
    >
    > I wonder if we all have something in common. My problem
    > appeared soon (perhaps coincidentally) after I used Comcast
    > HSI for the first time.

    Some (many?) spyware programs, especially CoolWebSearch variants, insert
    hooks so deeply into WinSock that removing them breaks WinSock.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Internet Windows XP