Help...Asus P4C800 Deluxe

EddiePrice

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
I just purchased 2 P4C800 Deluxe motherboards based on the reviews I read. Each machine has the same equipment. I am having a horrible time doing installations on this motherboard. I got numorus blue screens and the computer locks up from time to time. Asus website just sucks for support, plus the driver updates you download can unzip without error.

My biggest problem is that I can't get the floppy drive on both machines to work. Becuase of that, I won't be able to flash Bios to a newer verision. They are recongized in the system's device manager, but when I input a floppy, it can't find it. I tried switching the cable around, but nothing.

Next problem, The system reboots during installations and games. I though it could be the video card, which is also an Asus Ti4800se. So I downloaded the new Nvidia drivers and direct 9a figuring that could solve the problem, but it still crashs and reboots.

I have installed plenty of machine in the past and this has to be the worst install to date. I am totally stuck. I could really use some help.... or should I just return the damn board and buy an Intel motherboard?

-1024MB Kingston HyperX 3200 512 DDR 400
-Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA
-Asus Ti4800se 8xAGP 128DDR RAM
-Digital Research CDRW 52-24-52
-52X Creative CD

ZZSpaceman

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Not working on both is strange. Still are you sure your floppy drive is working? Obviously check the cables, and power then try swaping out the floppy drive. I recently bought a flopy drive that didn't work out of the box. I have a P4C800 delux and it's working well.

If that doesn't work try making a bootable CD and boot from the CD. You should be able to burn your BIOS flash files on it and update from there.

ZZSpaceman

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
The system reboots during installations and games. I though it could be the video card, which is also an Asus Ti4800se. So I downloaded the new Nvidia drivers and direct 9a figuring that could solve the problem, but it still crashs and reboots.
May have something to do with memory. In which case, you would have to adjust memory timings and/or DDR voltage. I'm not sure if they do this but try to contact Kingston and ask them what memory timings and voltage they recommend for the motherboard/memory combo in question.

<b><font color=blue>I agree with that solution ... because it is a logical one.</font color=blue></b>

anotherfiz

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Rebooting randomly, the first thing that comes to my mind is a heat issue, you sure you have the HSF on the p4 set properly? I found installing it onto my P4C800 was a little difficult as it was a bit finiky. Out of the box i had no problems running my asus p4c800 board with a p4c 3ghz and 512 of corsair twinxms memmory pc3200. Sounds like a heat issue since you said you are installing them into two identical machines.. maybe not enough cooling in said case...

Other thing. are you sure the mobo is not shorting out on something? Once again, identical cases identical problems.

EddiePrice

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks for the reponses...

Both computers are in the same case...three case fans in total...but you may have a point there... Right now, the system crashs only when I am playing a game for more the an hour....it must be heat.

I just checked the heat tempertures and voltage in the Bios....Are these normal???

CPU Temperture 34c/91F
MB Temp 24c/75F
Power Temp NA

Q-Fan Control Disabled

CPU Fan Speed 2657RPM
Chassis Fan Speed 2657RPM
Power Fan Speed 2657RPM

Vcore Voltage 1.552V
3.3v Voltage 3.264V
5v Voltage 5.16V
12v Voltage 12.09V

As for the floppy, I'm going to pick up another floppy drive tomorrow and give it another shot. Hopefully thats it.

As for the DDR ram, once I upgrade the bios to 1006, I am going to change the timing settings on the ram. I think that's my problem.

Did any of you download any of the drivers off the Asus website and get them to unzip successfully?

Thanks again for the responses...

ZZSpaceman

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
Your temperatures look normal for a 2.4c. A little higher than mine but you have two processors in the case, and less ventilation.

If you have Kingston 3200 DDR, the default timings should be fine. I had no problem getting it to work right with the original BIOS. I've since upgraded to 1006.

Good Luck

ZZSpaceman

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
About your floppy drives: They should flash when you first start the machines, and then the light should go out. Do they do this?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

EddiePrice

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
No, the light is usually out or stays on based on how the floppy ribbon is switched. I owned the floppy drive since....wow, 96 maybe 97. Could that be it. I wouldn't think floppy drives have changed that much to matter... But this is happening on both machines...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, there are four ways to put on a single drive floppy cable. The flip has to be just before the drive, the red strip is on the right side of the case (aka the back as you pere into it, aka, the left side of the drive as you look at the rear). And the red stripe has to be lined up with Pin 1 on the board.

Funny that floppy drives have Pin1 backwards of IDE drives...

Anyway, it's supposed to flash when your system starts. Check to make sure it's enabled in BIOS also, along with the floppy controller (which might be disabled by default on such a new board).

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

spoondigity

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
Well this is a long shot but maybe you need to enable legacy floppy support in the bios or something if it is older and you don't have it on now. I am probably way off but just throwing it out there. I don't own this board but I have seen that setting in other bios setups.