Information on software program - Quicken

Tags:
  • Newsgroup
  • Microsoft
  • Software
  • Windows XP
April 6, 2005 1:54:26 AM

I have Quicken 2005. I cannot find any newsgroups on this. To contact the
company it is like $25 a question. Anyone have any ideas what I can do.
Every time I open Quicken I get the message "another user is already using
program". I have completely deleted Quicken and reinstalled it and still
get that message.
Any ideas?

More about : information software program quicken

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:13:11 AM

Patti

This link within the Quicken Website will take you to Quicken Chat where you
can type one on one with a Quicken representative.. no mention of $25 a
shot..

http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/netagent_chat/int...

This link within the Quicken Website will take you to Quicken forums..

http://intuit.forums.liveworld.com/index.jspa?categoryI...

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Quicken 2005. I cannot find any newsgroups on this. To contact the
>company it is like $25 a question. Anyone have any ideas what I can do.
> Every time I open Quicken I get the message "another user is already using
> program". I have completely deleted Quicken and reinstalled it and still
> get that message.
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:01:53 PM

In news:%23TbDSukOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> I have Quicken 2005. I cannot find any newsgroups on this. To
> contact the company it is like $25 a question.

The Quicken newsgroup is alt.comp.software.financial.quicken.
There are lots of knowledgeable helpful people there.

Please reply to the newsgroup
April 6, 2005 9:53:24 PM

I added the newsgroup through tools but it says it cannot find the server.
Not sure what that means. How do I access this newsgroup then? I guess I
have only been on microsoft newsgroups, not sure what they mean by servers?
Can you help? Thanks.
news:o nhY4KtOFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23TbDSukOFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> I have Quicken 2005. I cannot find any newsgroups on this. To
>> contact the company it is like $25 a question.
>

> The Quicken newsgroup is alt.comp.software.financial.quicken. There are
> lots of knowledgeable helpful people there.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:53:55 PM

In news:%23e665mxOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> Wow - I have tried accessing several newsgroups and it says it
> cannot
> find server.

OK, I think I see your problem now. I missed it before. Read
below

> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> news:o STFylvOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> In news:e2PMQMvOFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> I added the newsgroup through tools but it says it cannot
>>> find the
>>> server.

Did you go to Tools | Accounts and add the name of the newsgroup
I gave you there?

That's the wrong thing to do. That's where you need to put the
name of the server, not the newsgroup. You've told it to look for
a server called alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, and it's
telling you it can't find that server. That's no surprise; there
is no such server.

Again, you need to get the name of a news server (probably from
your ISP) and put it there. Then once you've done that, you can
download the list of newsgroups that server carries.
Alt.comp.software.financial.quicken should be one of them, and
you can then subscribe to it.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:43:42 PM

I went to tools, accounts and tried to access ALL the servers they had there
and they all said "server cannot be found". I called my Internet and they
said it wasn't their problem, they didn't have a clue. I went to all the
"help" sections in windows and Outlook and IE and cannto find anything.
I really appreciate your help Ken, and if you have any other ideas I would
appreciate it, but otherwise, thank you very much. I just must have a crazy
Cable Internet.
news:o WTTCo4OFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:%23e665mxOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Wow - I have tried accessing several newsgroups and it says it cannot
>> find server.
>

> OK, I think I see your problem now. I missed it before. Read below
>

>> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> news:o STFylvOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> In news:e2PMQMvOFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> Did you go to Tools | Accounts and add the name of the newsgroup I gave
> you there?
>
> That's the wrong thing to do. That's where you need to put the name of the
> server, not the newsgroup. You've told it to look for a server called
> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, and it's telling you it can't find
> that server. That's no surprise; there is no such server.
>
> Again, you need to get the name of a news server (probably from your ISP)
> and put it there. Then once you've done that, you can download the list of
> newsgroups that server carries. Alt.comp.software.financial.quicken should
> be one of them, and you can then subscribe to it.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:43:43 PM

In news:eImW%23J7OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> I went to tools, accounts and tried to access ALL the servers
> they
> had there and they all said "server cannot be found".

Nope, that's the wrong thing to do. You won't find the answer
there. You have to know the name of a new server before you do
anything. The answer isn't on your computer. Don't try to do
anything with the computer.

> I called my
> Internet and they said it wasn't their problem, they didn't
> have a
> clue.

You're asking the wrong question. Call your ISP back. Do not ask
them about a problem. There is no problem. Ask them exactly this
question:

"Do you provide a usenet news server for your customers?"

If they say yes, then ask this question:

"What is its name? Spell it, please."

Write down the answers to these questions, then post back for
more help.

Also, tell me who your ISP is, please.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> I went to all the "help" sections in windows and Outlook and
> IE and cannto find anything. I really appreciate your help Ken,
> and if you have any other ideas I
> would appreciate it, but otherwise, thank you very much. I
> just must
> have a crazy Cable Internet.

> news:o WTTCo4OFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> In news:%23e665mxOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> Wow - I have tried accessing several newsgroups and it says
>>> it
>>> cannot find server.
>>

>> OK, I think I see your problem now. I missed it before. Read
>> below
>>

>>> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> news:o STFylvOFHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>> Did you go to Tools | Accounts and add the name of the
>> newsgroup I
>> gave you there?
>>
>> That's the wrong thing to do. That's where you need to put the
>> name
>> of the server, not the newsgroup. You've told it to look for a
>> server called alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, and it's
>> telling
>> you it can't find that server. That's no surprise; there is no
>> such
>> server. Again, you need to get the name of a news server
>> (probably from your
>> ISP) and put it there. Then once you've done that, you can
>> download
>> the list of newsgroups that server carries.
>> Alt.comp.software.financial.quicken should be one of them, and
>> you
>> can then subscribe to it. --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:03:08 AM

My ISP is Comcast and they had an online help form. They got me on their
server - comcast.net. But after all that, including having the wrong
password and all, there is nothing in that newsgroup about the Quicken
software. But at least now I know how to do it. I don't know how to
actually find servers though, that is the only one they had she said.
Thanks again.
> In news:eImW%23J7OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> I went to tools, accounts and tried to access ALL the servers they
>> had there and they all said "server cannot be found".
>

> Nope, that's the wrong thing to do. You won't find the answer there. You
> have to know the name of a new server before you do anything. The answer
> isn't on your computer. Don't try to do anything with the computer.
>

>> I called my
>> Internet and they said it wasn't their problem, they didn't have a
>> clue.
>

> You're asking the wrong question. Call your ISP back. Do not ask them
> about a problem. There is no problem. Ask them exactly this question:
>
> "Do you provide a usenet news server for your customers?"
>
> If they say yes, then ask this question:
>
> "What is its name? Spell it, please."
>
> Write down the answers to these questions, then post back for more help.
>
> Also, tell me who your ISP is, please.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> I went to all the "help" sections in windows and Outlook and
>> IE and cannto find anything. I really appreciate your help Ken, and if
>> you have any other ideas I
>> would appreciate it, but otherwise, thank you very much. I just must
>> have a crazy Cable Internet.
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> news:o WTTCo4OFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> In news:%23e665mxOFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

>>> OK, I think I see your problem now. I missed it before. Read below

>>> Did you go to Tools | Accounts and add the name of the newsgroup I
>>> gave you there?
>>>
>>> That's the wrong thing to do. That's where you need to put the name
>>> of the server, not the newsgroup. You've told it to look for a
>>> server called alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, and it's telling
>>> you it can't find that server. That's no surprise; there is no such
>>> server. Again, you need to get the name of a news server (probably from
>>> your
>>> ISP) and put it there. Then once you've done that, you can download
>>> the list of newsgroups that server carries.
>>> Alt.comp.software.financial.quicken should be one of them, and you
>>> can then subscribe to it. --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:15:02 PM

In news:eW2oDh$OFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> My ISP is Comcast and they had an online help form. They got
> me on
> their server - comcast.net.

I just went to the comcast site and found this page:
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Newsgroup...

Is that the "online help form" you mean? If not, go there and
follow the instructions.

Note that their news server name is *not* comcast.net. It is
newsgroups.comcast.net.

> But after all that, including having
> the wrong password and all, there is nothing in that newsgroup
> about
> the Quicken software.

Please don't mix up the name of the server with the name of the
newsgroup. You say "nothing in that newsgroup." Do you mean
nothing on that *server*? No, that's highly unlikely. Once you've
set up the news account in Outlook Express, download the list of
newsgroups. Then scroll down to
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken and subscribe to it. That's
the name of the nesgroup you want on the server
newsgroups.comcast.net.

> But at least now I know how to do it. I don't
> know how to actually find servers though, that is the only one
> they
> had she said. Thanks again.

One news server is all any ISP provides, and is normally all you
need. You're not looking for additional servers, you're looking
for *one* newsgroup (the Quicken newsgroup) on the server your
ISP provides.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> In news:eImW%23J7OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> I went to tools, accounts and tried to access ALL the servers
>>> they
>>> had there and they all said "server cannot be found".
>>

>> Nope, that's the wrong thing to do. You won't find the answer
>> there.
>> You have to know the name of a new server before you do
>> anything.
>> The answer isn't on your computer. Don't try to do anything
>> with the
>> computer.
>>> I called my
>>> Internet and they said it wasn't their problem, they didn't
>>> have a
>>> clue.
>>

>> You're asking the wrong question. Call your ISP back. Do not
>> ask them
>> about a problem. There is no problem. Ask them exactly this
>> question:
>>
>> "Do you provide a usenet news server for your customers?"
>>
>> If they say yes, then ask this question:
>>
>> "What is its name? Spell it, please."
>>
>> Write down the answers to these questions, then post back for
>> more
>> help. Also, tell me who your ISP is, please.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> I went to all the "help" sections in windows and Outlook and
>>> IE and cannto find anything. I really appreciate your help
>>> Ken, and
>>> if you have any other ideas I
>>> would appreciate it, but otherwise, thank you very much. I
>>> just
>>> must have a crazy Cable Internet.
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:o WTTCo4OFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:01:53 PM

Ken, - I FOUND IT!!! Yes, that was the news server. Wow - I sure am glad
my kids are grown and can't see everything you can get in a newsgroup!!
Even I blushed.
Ken, you have been great - how do you have the patience to work with someone
as dense as me. That was the Comcast site I was on and the server was
called newsgroups. I just looked for the word Quicken and nothing came up
in the search. I don't know what the alt.comp and all that means. But I am
where I need to be.Thank you so much for ALL your help. Thanks.
> In news:eW2oDh$OFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> My ISP is Comcast and they had an online help form. They got me on
>> their server - comcast.net.
>

> I just went to the comcast site and found this page:
> http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Newsgroup...
>
> Is that the "online help form" you mean? If not, go there and follow the
> instructions.
>
> Note that their news server name is *not* comcast.net. It is
> newsgroups.comcast.net.
>

>> But after all that, including having
>> the wrong password and all, there is nothing in that newsgroup about
>> the Quicken software.
>

> Please don't mix up the name of the server with the name of the newsgroup.
> You say "nothing in that newsgroup." Do you mean nothing on that *server*?
> No, that's highly unlikely. Once you've set up the news account in Outlook
> Express, download the list of newsgroups. Then scroll down to
> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken and subscribe to it. That's the name
> of the nesgroup you want on the server newsgroups.comcast.net.
>

>> But at least now I know how to do it. I don't
>> know how to actually find servers though, that is the only one they
>> had she said. Thanks again.
>

> One news server is all any ISP provides, and is normally all you need.
> You're not looking for additional servers, you're looking for *one*
> newsgroup (the Quicken newsgroup) on the server your ISP provides.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:eImW%23J7OFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

>>> Nope, that's the wrong thing to do. You won't find the answer there.
>>> You have to know the name of a new server before you do anything.
>>> The answer isn't on your computer. Don't try to do anything with the
>>> computer.
>>>

>>> You're asking the wrong question. Call your ISP back. Do not ask them
>>> about a problem. There is no problem. Ask them exactly this question:
>>>
>>> "Do you provide a usenet news server for your customers?"
>>>
>>> If they say yes, then ask this question:
>>>
>>> "What is its name? Spell it, please."
>>>
>>> Write down the answers to these questions, then post back for more
>>> help. Also, tell me who your ISP is, please.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:01:54 PM

In news:o NZ%23z4HPFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:

> Ken, - I FOUND IT!!! Yes, that was the news server.

Great, glad to hear it!

> Wow - I sure
> am glad my kids are grown and can't see everything you can get
> in a
> newsgroup!! Even I blushed.

LOL! Yes, there are newsgroups on *many* different subjects.

> Ken, you have been great - how do you have the patience to work
> with
> someone as dense as me.

You're not dense, Patti, you're just unfamiliar with the correct
terminolgy, so it makes things harder for you. The more you
learn, the more familiar you get with the language and the easier
new things will become.

> That was the Comcast site I was on and the
> server was called newsgroups. I just looked for the word
> Quicken and
> nothing came up in the search. I don't know what the alt.comp
> and
> all that means. But I am where I need to be.Thank you so much
> for
> ALL your help. Thanks.

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Ken Blake"
> <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> In news:eW2oDh$OFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
>> PattiChati <PattiChati@hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> My ISP is Comcast and they had an online help form. They got
>>> me on
>>> their server - comcast.net.
>>

>> I just went to the comcast site and found this page:
>> http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Newsgroup...
>>
>> Is that the "online help form" you mean? If not, go there and
>> follow
>> the instructions.
>>
>> Note that their news server name is *not* comcast.net. It is
>> newsgroups.comcast.net.
>>

>>> But after all that, including having
>>> the wrong password and all, there is nothing in that
>>> newsgroup about
>>> the Quicken software.
>>

>> Please don't mix up the name of the server with the name of
>> the
>> newsgroup. You say "nothing in that newsgroup." Do you mean
>> nothing
>> on that *server*? No, that's highly unlikely. Once you've set
>> up the
>> news account in Outlook Express, download the list of
>> newsgroups.
>> Then scroll down to alt.comp.software.financial.quicken and
>> subscribe to it. That's the name of the nesgroup you want on
>> the
>> server newsgroups.comcast.net.
>>> But at least now I know how to do it. I don't
>>> know how to actually find servers though, that is the only
>>> one they
>>> had she said. Thanks again.
>>

>> One news server is all any ISP provides, and is normally all
>> you
>> need. You're not looking for additional servers, you're
>> looking for
>> *one* newsgroup (the Quicken newsgroup) on the server your ISP
>> provides. --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message