spyware help

this is my first post so bare with me hw can i remove a highjack file fr.
my computer

--
jmt
5 answers Last reply

    "jimmick10" wrote:

    > this is my first post so bare with me hw can i remove a highjack file fr.
    > my computer
    >
    > --
    > jmt

    Welcome to the group!
    It would help if you provided more details,what file is infected and how do
    you know? What program are you using to detect malware.

    Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
    stack from working (Internet connection).
    Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
    Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
    "imon.dll" this fix reports,This is your internet /e-mail scanning engine.

    YES-You need more than 1 malware program,the one's below are all free
    and work well.
    LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    CWS Smart Killer- http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html

    About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
    Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    MS Antispyware:
    CWShredder - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html
    Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
    Hijackthis tutorial - http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
    SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
    BHO Demon - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
    asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    Socklock- http://nsclean.com/socklock.html
    A nice site -
    http://groups.msn.com/TeMercInternetSecuritySite/malwarecountermeasures.msnw
    NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
    http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm
    Process Guard-
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download
    A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
    http://virusall.com/downscan.html

    A listing of BHO's
    http://www.spywaredata.com/bho.php?current_page=0

    To see if that freeware program you are about to inststall
    is infested with spyware check it out first at this link.
    http://www.spychecker.com/

    To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
    default settings.
    These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other systems
    as well.
    Go to control panel and open "internet options�.
    Click on the security tab then custom level.
    make sure these settings are as follows.

    Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
    Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
    Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
    Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
    Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
    Java permissions>set to high
    Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
    Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
    Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

    What exactly do you mean by a "hijack file"? I am guessing that you are referring
    to your browser home page being hijacked, or perhaps more.

    For home page hijacking, go here:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm
    and scroll down to the section titled "I can't change my home page - it keeps
    resetting". Read that whole section.

    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
    link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
    it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.

    When removing spyware, it is a good idea to download and store LSPFix and
    WinsockXPFix ahead of time, in case you need to fix your Internet connectivity when
    done. Some spyware will break your ability to connect when removed.
    LSPFix:
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/lspfix.html
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/lspfix.html
    WinSock XP Fix:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

    How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

    If your problems persist, download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
    locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jimmick10" <jimmicvk10@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > this is my first post so bare with me hw can i remove a highjack file fr.
    > my computer
    >
    > --
    > jmt

    Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

    jimmick10 wrote:
    > this is my first post so bare with me hw can i remove a highjack file
    > fr. my computer

    Try PestBlock from privacyanywhere (http://www.privacyanywhere.com).
    It's very strong and popular spyware removal. Also it removes spyware
    from LSP stacks! I'm very recommend to have it.

    Tim.

    MAP <MAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<A9893D90-3964-4A4C-8CD2-3D2587B35D83@microsoft.com>...
> [...]
    > http://www.spychecker.com/
    >

    > To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
    > default settings.
    > These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other systems
    > as well.
    > Go to control panel and open "internet optionsâ€Â?.
    > Click on the security tab then custom level.
    > make sure these settings are as follows.
    >
    > Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
    > Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
    > Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
    > Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
    > Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
    > Java permissions>set to high
    > Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
    > Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
    > Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

Microsoft Spyware Windows XP