Backup taking too long to finish!

Hi everyone!

I have a custom build PC running Windows 7 professional. I have two 500 GB hard drives in RAID0 and about 534 GB of data in total.

Every week, I backup to my iOmega NAS. The NAS have 2 harddrives with 1 TB each in RAID1 (mirror)

Here is the problem: When I do a full backup, its takes more than 16 hours to complete (I guess the server isn't the fastest one around) and the PC is in the same room as I sleep. When I build in computer I got a Antec 902 case for cheap through a local deal, but that case have in impressive amount of LED lights, so I cannot have the computer turned on over night.

Is there some way to pause a windows backup? Can I run the backup with my computer in a state with no sound or light (like hibernation or sleep).
Finally, if its impossible to not run the backup in one constant stream, and I cannot do it in a low-power state. Is there some solid 3rd party options for a backup that allows these features?

thanks a lot!

Full specs:
Core i7 920
470 GTX
6 GB DDR3 RAM
2x 500 GB HDD (RAID0)
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
2 answers Last reply
More about backup taking long finish
  1. After the first backup, all you need to do is incremental, it will only add new stuff to what you already got, complete backup every night is just dumb.
  2. I do incremental back-ups weekly, and those are fine, if I just start them early morning they're done by noon.

Its the monthly full back-up giving me problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

Backup Hard Drives Windows 7