865PE Recommendation?

cwalker

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
I need some help on purchasing a 865PE motherboard. I do not plan on a lot of overclocking, maybe just play a little. I am currently looking at the following:

1. Asus P4P800: Sees that their "MAM" technology has this board rocking!
2. Abit IS7: I think I read that they have some kind of "MAM" on their new Bios.
3. Intel 865PERLL: I know this board is "slower" than the rest, but you do get rock solid stability.

I currently have an ASUS P4533, no overclicking and runs great! I gues I am leaning to the P4P800, but since I do not plan to overclock much, is this still a good choice?

Thanks for your help.
CCW

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
i have been an abit fan for years, still have a kt7a raid setup running behind me.

but in this case i went with the asus p4p800 deluxe.
i hear that the ovedrclockers choice is the abit board though.
i was messing with mine yesterday and had it up to 3.2 ghz and 1040 fsb!! lol so i dunno.

anyway i recommend the asus as i have one, i havent seen anything bad about it, runs great and fast.

many people are getting both of them and you can find many threads regarding the issues and performance.
either way i recommend you look at sata drives too they compliment this boards abilties very nicely, i ran mine both ways, i installed windows in 6 mins.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like the rear panel outputs on the IS7 better than the P4P800. Also it scored a bit better performance numbers in Anandtech's latest memory compatability comparison. But the P4P800 has a joystick port header, and I REALLY like my joystick...both had decent onboard sound, I'd hate to be forced to install a soundcard just to get a gameport...

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I vote for Intel D865PERLL or D865GLCL & ROCK SOLID

<font color=red>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=red>