start up problems

hi all,

i reinstalled xp to partion a second drive and now when i start i get a
black page with:

windows xp home edition
windows xp home edition

and asks which i want to start with first go's to xp front page second
go's to a nother page saying <windows root> system32\hal.dll. not
installed or corrupt re-install but i run xp again but still get the
same message. is there something i can do to get rid of the second copy
to stop this happening.

regards

stuart sparks.

--
stuart sparks

Stuart, rt click MyComputer>select Properties>Advanced>Startup and
Recovery-Settings>Edit That will open the
Boot.ini file which will look something like the example below. Just
Highlight and delete where I have it marked.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
/fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
/fastdetect < Highlight this line and delete it.
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

"stuart sparks" <stuart.sparks.1n3bpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> hi all,
>
> i reinstalled xp to partion a second drive and now when i start i get a
> black page with:
>
> windows xp home edition
> windows xp home edition
>
> and asks which i want to start with first go's to xp front page second
> go's to a nother page saying <windows root> system32\hal.dll. not
> installed or corrupt re-install but i run xp again but still get the
> same message. is there something i can do to get rid of the second copy
> to stop this happening.
>
> regards
>
> stuart sparks.
>

> --
> stuart sparks

"stuart sparks" <stuart.sparks.1n3bpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> i reinstalled xp to partion a second drive and now when i start i get a
> black page with:
>
> windows xp home edition
> windows xp home edition
>
> and asks which i want to start with first go's to xp front page second
> go's to a nother page saying <windows root> system32\hal.dll. not
> installed or corrupt re-install but i run xp again but still get the
> same message. is there something i can do to get rid of the second copy
> to stop this happening.
>
> regards
>
> stuart sparks.

Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hall.dll
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

that's because you have 2 installations of XP 1 per partition.
it has recognised this and hence giving you the choice - even though in this
case they are really the same OS.

Were you trying to reinstall XP? and not intending to have two
installations? You should have chosen the partition that already had XP on
it, or chose to 'reinstall' or 'repair install'.,