Windows/PC Xbox360 controller vs Generic

Hawky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Do xbox360 controllers support other games that aren't "Games for windows LIVE" certified?

Also, Can I use a generic controller that has the design of a PS2 controller to work on windows LIVE xbox-360-controller certified games?

I've grown up with PS2 controllers and the 360 controller looks awkward, with the left analog stick at the top left with the right analog stick at the bottom right, that's why I mentioned it.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
With a program called XPadder, you can map the buttons of the controller to keys on your keyboard, effectively allowing you to use the controller with any game.

The 360 controller is, in my opinion, the absolute best controller out there. Including the location of the left stick - it actually feels much better because your thumb isn't stretching about 90 degrees away from your hand. Takes a little getting used to but once you are used to it, it's more comfortable.

A controller is a controller regardless of who make it, if a game supports controllers then you can use any, the game may just be optimised for the control layout of the 360 controller over another, but they're generally customisable.

Hawky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Looking at XPadder through google, apparently older versions are free and newer versions are pay only etc?

Anyway, I spose I'll get a pre-owned Xbox 360 controller, being $30-$50 cheaper and if I use a non "games for windows" title, I'll use xpadder on that particular game.

Thanks.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Games for Windows and the xbox controller are 2 completely different things, having one doesn't imply the other.
Example 1: Dawn of War II has the GfWin badge on it, but has no gamepad support.
Example 2: Prototype (PC version) doesn't have the GfWin badge, but if you have a 360 controller plugged in, it automatically changes to the control scheme for it. It's not a generic change either, you can see the 360 controller in the menu where you change the control configuration.

They're 2 separate things, so don't take 1 to mean the other.

Not sure about the whole old vs free xpadder thing, I've got a rather old version here that is free... but it was free when I downloaded it too. It hasn't broken down so I never bothered updating it.

Hawky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Ah I suppose, alright thanks. I was youtubing and found a "Xpadder5-3" so I guess it's version 5.3, downloaded just haven't tested yet, anyway thanks.

*mumbles to myself-IwonderwhyDoW2doesn'tsupportcontrollers-*

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
^I assume thats sarcasim? hard to tell over the net but if not then 2 words - STRATEGY GAME. controllers and strat games have to almost as bad as keyboards and racing games.

As for the controller itself if you really dont like 360 contollers that much why dont you just get one of the many generic ps style controllers instead?

However I too second that 360 controllers are the best, the triggers are where its at. But for most part I only use my game console controllers for console gaming, unless its too cold and I dont want to get out of bed lol or I want to play on my 40" hdtv.

Hawky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic at all o_O

I'll make do with a pre owned 360 controller, cheaper and it'll do for what I intend to use it for...
Assassin's Creed 1+2.
Prototype.
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Maybe CoD 4/6.

40" HD TV? No need to brag *jealous*

D3LTA09

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

360 controller should be mint for those games, I am too lazy to set mine up using xpadder or in game setting so if it the game doesnt do it for me I just stick with my mouse and keyboard.

Haha sorry wasnt trying to brag! but I do love my 40inches of samsung goodness, my gf and flatmates get mad though cos we only have a 27" sammy in the lounge and I my 40 and a 24 in my room lol

Hawky

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009

*nowthisissarcasm*
Suuuuuuuuure, of course you weren't trying to brag.

Anyway, thx.