XP does not recognise my second hard disk

My PC has two hard disks - a 20 GB master and a 40GB slave, and is set up
to dual boot with Windows 98SE and XP installed in separate partitions on
the 20GB hard disk. While 98SE recognises both installed hard disks, XP will
only recognise the 20 GB master disk. Is there anything I missed when
installing XP?Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.

Stanley
4 answers Last reply
More about recognise hard disk

    Try right clicking on "My Computer" than chose "Manage" than chose "Disk
    Management" on the left (in XP). Now do you see both of your hdd's listed?
    If so what is the "type" and "status?" I do not reccomend using 98 if you
    have xp. 98 does not support NTFS which is a much faster and more secure FS.
    You can convert your Fat into NTFS through the command prompt. Looks like
    im getting away form the main point. Let me know what is the type and its
    status? Try right clicking on the drive you dont see and change it to
    active or basic, I cant remember which it is. It should not mess up your
    files on the hdd. Good luck and reply here, ill be looking out for it.

    "patti" wrote:

    > My PC has two hard disks - a 20 GB master and a 40GB slave, and is set up
    > to dual boot with Windows 98SE and XP installed in separate partitions on
    > the 20GB hard disk. While 98SE recognises both installed hard disks, XP will
    > only recognise the 20 GB master disk. Is there anything I missed when
    > installing XP?Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    >
    > Stanley

    Hi, Stanley.

    As Jesse said, Disk Management is the tool to use. This is a new utility
    that first appeared in Win2K, 5 years ago. It replaces the old DOS programs
    FDISK and Format, plus it (re)assigns drive letters, which we did with
    Device Manager in Win9x/ME.

    Set up Disk Management to suit yourself by clicking View. I like to have
    the Volume List at the top and the Graphical Display at the bottom, but you
    can suit yourself. Click Help | Help Topics and explore; there are tons of
    information about hard drives and file systems here.

    You might need to initialize that second HD, or otherwise tweak it so that
    WinXP can recognize it.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "patti" <patti@freeola.com> wrote in message
    > My PC has two hard disks - a 20 GB master and a 40GB slave, and is set
    > up to dual boot with Windows 98SE and XP installed in separate partitions
    > on the 20GB hard disk. While 98SE recognises both installed hard disks, XP
    > will only recognise the 20 GB master disk. Is there anything I missed when
    > installing XP?Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    >
    > Stanley

    Hi guys, Thanks for your advice. I followed your instructions but nothing
    happened. The second HD was not recognised. I also have an external 40 GB
    Buslink HD, and that also was not recognised on XP until it was powered up
    with XP running (but I did have software for that Buslink HD).

    I should add that there is one complication on my PC. I have a 120 MW LS120
    installed which doubles as a 1.44 MB floppy drive, although it needs the
    same EIDE connection as any other HD. On Win 98SE, BelArc Advisor
    identifies it as having a floppy drive, with my master HD identified as
    Drive 0 and the slave HD as Drive 1. On XP, however, my master HD is Drive
    0, bit it is the LS120 which is identified as Drive 1, with no mention of my
    40GB slave disk.

    I don't understand why XP should prove to be so difficult to use. Win 95,
    98, and ME gave me no trouble. I am quickly losing patience with XP.
    Any further suggestions would be welcome.

    Stan

    "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Try right clicking on "My Computer" than chose "Manage" than chose "Disk
    > Management" on the left (in XP). Now do you see both of your hdd's
    > listed?
    > If so what is the "type" and "status?" I do not reccomend using 98 if you
    > have xp. 98 does not support NTFS which is a much faster and more secure
    > FS.
    > You can convert your Fat into NTFS through the command prompt. Looks like
    > im getting away form the main point. Let me know what is the type and its
    > status? Try right clicking on the drive you dont see and change it to
    > active or basic, I cant remember which it is. It should not mess up your
    > files on the hdd. Good luck and reply here, ill be looking out for it.
    >
    > "patti" wrote:
    >
    >> My PC has two hard disks - a 20 GB master and a 40GB slave, and is set
    >> up
    >> to dual boot with Windows 98SE and XP installed in separate partitions on
    >> the 20GB hard disk. While 98SE recognises both installed hard disks, XP
    >> will
    >> only recognise the 20 GB master disk. Is there anything I missed when
    >> installing XP?Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    >>
    >> Stanley

    Hi, Stan.

    > On XP, however, my master HD is Drive 0, bit it is the LS120 which is
    > identified as Drive 1, with no mention of my 40GB slave disk.

    If you unplug the LS-120, does WinXP's Disk Management see your slave drive
    as Drive 1? Is your 40 GB HD connected (and jumpered) as Primary Slave, as
    Secondary Slave or as Secondary Master? Same question for the LS-120?

    > I have a 120 MW LS120 installed which doubles as a 1.44 MB floppy drive,
    > although it needs the same EIDE connection as any other HD.

    I've never had an LS-120 drive, but I suspect that this is the root of your
    problem. Not that the LS-120 is not a good idea, but that it uses the IDE
    connection. I thought that the LS-120 connected to the FDD. Perhaps a
    special Floppy Disk Drive controller to handle the LS-120 as a floppy
    sometimes and as an LS-120 at other times.

    Your answer may lie in the details of your LS-120 owner's manual. Make sure
    that your LS-120 jumpers, cables and settings are compatible with your BIOS
    and CMOS settings.

    You didn't mention either LS-120 or your Buslink HD in your first post. Any
    other non-typical features that we should know about in your system? If you
    tell us about those, it might keep us from going on a wild goose chase - or
    sending you on one. :>(

    RC
    --

    > Hi guys, Thanks for your advice. I followed your instructions but nothing
    > happened. The second HD was not recognised. I also have an external 40 GB
    > Buslink HD, and that also was not recognised on XP until it was powered
    > up with XP running (but I did have software for that Buslink HD).
    >
    > I should add that there is one complication on my PC. I have a 120 MW
    > LS120 installed which doubles as a 1.44 MB floppy drive, although it needs
    > the same EIDE connection as any other HD. On Win 98SE, BelArc Advisor
    > identifies it as having a floppy drive, with my master HD identified as
    > Drive 0 and the slave HD as Drive 1. On XP, however, my master HD is Drive
    > 0, bit it is the LS120 which is identified as Drive 1, with no mention of
    > my 40GB slave disk.
    >
    > I don't understand why XP should prove to be so difficult to use. Win 95,
    > 98, and ME gave me no trouble. I am quickly losing patience with XP.
    > Any further suggestions would be welcome.
    >
    > Stan
    >

    > "Jesse" <Jesse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Try right clicking on "My Computer" than chose "Manage" than chose "Disk
    >> Management" on the left (in XP). Now do you see both of your hdd's
    >> listed?
    >> If so what is the "type" and "status?" I do not reccomend using 98 if
    >> you
    >> have xp. 98 does not support NTFS which is a much faster and more secure
    >> FS.
    >> You can convert your Fat into NTFS through the command prompt. Looks
    >> like
    >> im getting away form the main point. Let me know what is the type and
    >> its
    >> status? Try right clicking on the drive you dont see and change it to
    >> active or basic, I cant remember which it is. It should not mess up your
    >> files on the hdd. Good luck and reply here, ill be looking out for it.
    >>
    >> "patti" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My PC has two hard disks - a 20 GB master and a 40GB slave, and is
    >>> set up
    >>> to dual boot with Windows 98SE and XP installed in separate partitions
    >>> on
    >>> the 20GB hard disk. While 98SE recognises both installed hard disks, XP
    >>> will
    >>> only recognise the 20 GB master disk. Is there anything I missed when
    >>> installing XP?Thanks for any help or advice you can give me.
    >>>
    >>> Stanley

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives