Help! My new computer died!

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Hi, it's been a bad day for my computer. I have an amd 2500+ with an asus a7n8x. It's been working fine for a few weeks, but today I turned it on and it didn't post, nothing showed up and it did it's crazy beep routine. I looked up the beep codes for the phoenix bios, but I couldn't match it with what mine are. It's basically a slightly long beep repeated on and on forever (I've counted past 16), with a pause inbetween. The beep is maybe 1 second long, so it's not super long, but not short either. There's no pattern, just once repeated forever.

What I think the problem is that I had just changed my memory latency to 2-2-2-5. I have had it like this before and it worked fine. It's usually at 2-3-3-7 (CAS 2).

One thing I want to know is how to reset the CMOS. I'm hoping that will solve my problem, but the manual says to remove the battery...and the battery will not move. Does anyone know how to remove it? Once I can remove it, I just set the jumper to reset CMOS, then put the battery back in. And hopefully it'll be good.

Since nothing shows up on screen, I thought maybe the video card was loose or something, but it's not. It's either a memory problem...or I don't know what else.

Please help me!! I really need my computer! Thanks a lot!

Kevin

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
try just moving the jumper and resetting it. you move the jumped to the reset pins, hold it there for a few seconds, then move it back. ;)

kevino

Distinguished
May 30, 2003
Ok, I think I've tried everything that I can possibly try. And still nothing. Here's what I've done:

Unplugged and plugged everything back in. Reinserted the video card, monitor plug. Moved the memory to different spots. Tried just 1 stick of memory in all different spots.

I reset the CMOS about 3 times, but it still just beeps, and nothing else. I figure it has to be a problem with either my motherboard or both sticks of ram (since i tested both seperately).

One thing I did was turning it on without any ram installed. Then it didn't beep at all, but still nothing happened (obviously without ram). So maybe it is the ram?? I wish i could swap ram with someone else, but there is none. I might have to take it to the shop.

Any ideas of what to do? Or am i just screwed here? Thanks for your help so far. I wish it would've helped.

Kevin

TeeJay1952

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2003
Many newer boards allow for booting while holding insert key. This boots with BIOS reset to minimum levels. Hopefully this will allow you to boot into BIOS and reset entries. Also If you are clearing BIOS and are moving reset pin, Don't forget to unplug and wait 2 minutes and then replug, move pin back and boot with insert.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
humm....this sounds like something that would happen to me...weird that you have a beep code that is not documented....looks like you get to have the chore of swapping out hardware until you can find out what is causing the problem....good luck getting any kind of help from ASUS their customer service is horrible!!

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>