Sign in with
Your question

STALKER clear sky fps issues

Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2009 12:59:21 AM

I know STALKER is a very buggy game in fact I must of encountered most of them during my efforts to play it but I still really like the game concept and atmosphere so hence why I continue my losing battle to get it running properly.

My issue is that with everything at max settings (including dx10.1 and 4x AA) at 1680x1050 I started a game and was getting like <30 fps so I thought owell maybe its just not meant to be and turned it off, I then came back a bit later to try one more time and to my amazement everything was running mint, getting like 80-100fps with no slow downs or anything so I played for a while and then quit back to desktop to add a few mods to make the game more enjoyable.

I came back and bang back to low fps, obviously I thought it was something to do with the mods so I removed them all but it didnt really do anything. So again I gave up, mumberling curses to myself.

Again I came back to it with yet a different mod setup (sharper textures and a sound mod) and yay back to 100fps or so, everything looking good. Played for a while got a bridge in the swamps and bang back to <30 fps at this stage I decided to just carry on and see if it would fix itself and to a degree it did went into the nearest clear sky outpost and back up to 60-70 fps but then on the otherside of it back to <30. It got to the stage where I found that looking in certain directions halved my fps from 50-60 to 20ish and would get big spikes everywhere.

Now if i had never got the smooth no issue gameplay at times I would just assume it was my cf setup not scaling very well and thus would account for the big spikes in fps in places. But seeing as I have played through that exact spot (for e.g clear sky base) at high fps before it seems really strange. Same thing goes for dropping eye candy down a bit, it makes little difference and seems rather counter intuitive as I know my rig was handling it fine earlier.

anyone have any ideas on this? or is it just another mistery of STALKER?

My setup:
i7 920 at 3.8ghz
asus 1gb 4870 DK edition x2 in cf (not OC'd)
6gb partiot ddr3 tri channel kit
samsung spinpoint f1 1tb hdd (os hdd)
Asus p6t deluxe mobo
Corsair hx1000
June 22, 2009 2:12:39 PM

My Stalker clear sky did my head in when I first started playing, Some settings are just whay more demanding than others..... My comp plays it at a decent level so urs should blow it away with them spec's

I'll post back with my S.t.a.l.k.e.r. Settings and see what it was that I turned down
I think I ran a patch befor puting any mods on
June 22, 2009 2:28:40 PM

THanks for that cabbageGt was just about to give up on any1 replying! should of mentioned above I have applied the 1.5.07 patch.
Will be good to see what settings you have as maybe I do just need to scale back some settings for more stable FPS
Related resources
June 22, 2009 2:41:54 PM

Ok...

Resolution-1920x1080 (widescreen)
Quality- Maximum
Enhan. Full Dyn Lighting (Dx10)

under Advanced

Vision- Half
Object Detail- Full
Texture Detail-Full
Anisotropic- Full
Antialiasing-Off(I figure I dont realy need it at 1920x1080)
Grass-full
Sun Shadow-On
Light Distance- Half
Shadow Quality-1/4
Npc Flashlight-On
Disable Detail Textures-Off
Detail Bump-on
Steep Parallax-On
Sun Quality-Medium
SSAO-Medium(Im not sure what this reprisents)
Sun Rays- Medium
Soft Water-On
Soft Particles-On
Depth Of Feild-On
Volumetric Light-On
Wet Surfaces-On
Volumetric Smoke-On
Antialias Atested- St_OPT_ATEST_MSAA_DX10_0
Dx10.1-Off(because I have Nvidia Cards)
Vertical Sync-On
60hz-On

the biggest drop in fps is caused by the sun on my system, and it would make sence if it is worse when you look in a certain direction, I remember When I first tryed the game I put everything on full, and it was only when I changed the sun Rays And light Distance and thats sort of thing, then the Fps instantly jumped up

I also remember turning it off because it was unbareable to play around the swamps, then I tryed it again and everything Was smooth.... So prehapse you should restart when you have finished making changes

Q6600-2.4ghz, Asus P5N32-Sli PREMIUM, 4Gb DDR2 800mhz, x2 Palit 8800GT Super+ 1Gb, WD36 Raptor 0GD-00FNA0, Samsung HD501LJ, LG SuperMulti BluRay DVD, Tagan 900W PSU, Antec 1200, SilentKnight2 HS&F, Vista 64bit Home Premium (SP2).
June 22, 2009 3:23:57 PM

cheers for the info, will definitely have to have a play around with some of the sliders as yourve mentioned. Turning AA on or off seems to not do anything in terms of FPS or qaulity almost like its not engaging which I did read someone having that problem somewhere I think, but anyways will have a look.
June 22, 2009 9:34:07 PM

Yea seems that way, but sometimes I wonder with games like this and also crysis to a degree is how much they are just demanding vs not completely optimising hardware?
I actually played it through to the last battle at the power plant on my old rig but very nearly broke a mouse or 2 on the way, its the pin point accuracy of nades that really annoyed me, youll be like miles away in a really awkward spot and somehow like 6 nades will land it your feet and boom your dead. some places almost becomes a test of how quickly you can push f5 and quick save every person you kill
Anonymous
June 4, 2010 4:35:42 PM

I would suggest changing from the 1.5.10 version to the "Clear Sky Complete" version. It fixes a lot of video problems from the previous versions. It is considered a mod, so it hasn't been released by Steam yet, but it is available on the net, just look for "Clear Sky Complete", download the update, install it with the provided instructions, and you should be good to go.
June 4, 2010 6:11:46 PM

S:CS is one of the few games I can't max out. I play at 19x12 DX10.1 with no AA.

It's more demanding than S:SoC

To get good frame rates, I only dropped SSAO to Med, and I think shadows down one notch. I noticed that it's the lighting/sun effects that really slow this game down, turning these should help if you're having problems.
!