Win XP problem; and a question - newby

I recently installed Windows XP (Home) on my computer (in addition to Windows
98SE).

When I first installed XP, it went straight to the desk-top on boot-up.
Then (for no apparent reason) a screen came up "To begin, click your username",
and I had to click on it to go to the desk-top.
Someone suggested I get Tweak-UI, and change the settings on "Logon" >
"Autologon", and check "Log on automatyically at system startup".

I did, and for one or two logons things go OK, but then it will revert back to
showing the "To begin, click your username" screen.

How can I make this selection permanent (or at least till I choose to turn it
off)?

Second: On Windows 98, there are a bunch of icons right next to the "Start"
button, which are sort-of "quich access buttons" to certain programs.
One of them is "Show Desktop".
At any time, I can select it, and the desktop will show again.
Is there a similar command or button in Windows XP?

Thanks!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
6 answers Last reply
More about problem question newby

    You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
    Update.

    PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
    Install the .NET Framework 1.1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072

    What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
    http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

    Second: It's called Quick Launch.

    To show the Quick Launch bar
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_taskbar_showql_howto.mspx

    To add a program to the Quick Launch bar
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_tray_add_program_quick_launch.mspx

    Start a program from the taskbar
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ie4_tip_program_taskbar.mspx

    If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...

    How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190355

    Or go here...

    Read the instructions at the top
    61. Right hand side
    Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick Launch Bar
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7c7b5193rmfo9o87nrdtri5cpl91r477l4@4ax.com,
    John <nospam@nospam.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > I recently installed Windows XP (Home) on my computer (in addition to
    > Windows 98SE).
    >
    > When I first installed XP, it went straight to the desk-top on boot-up.
    > Then (for no apparent reason) a screen came up "To begin, click your
    > username", and I had to click on it to go to the desk-top.
    > Someone suggested I get Tweak-UI, and change the settings on "Logon" >
    > "Autologon", and check "Log on automatyically at system startup".
    >
    > I did, and for one or two logons things go OK, but then it will revert
    > back to showing the "To begin, click your username" screen.
    >
    > How can I make this selection permanent (or at least till I choose to
    > turn it off)?
    >
    > Second: On Windows 98, there are a bunch of icons right next to the
    > "Start" button, which are sort-of "quich access buttons" to certain
    > programs.
    > One of them is "Show Desktop".
    > At any time, I can select it, and the desktop will show again.
    > Is there a similar command or button in Windows XP?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    Additional question and a remark in-line

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:24:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
    >Update.

    Perhaps - not knowingly or intentionally, though . . .
    I notice in the Control Panel > Add or remove programs, Microsoft .NET
    Framework1.1 is mentioned as removable.
    Considering the fact I don't network, and don't intend to, what would be the
    repercussions of removing thisprogram?
    Would it solve my originally mentioned problem?

    >PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
    >Install the .NET Framework 1.1
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
    >
    >What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
    >http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >
    >Second: It's called Quick Launch.
    >
    >If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...

    Thanks for your help! I've got this OK now.

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    John,

    Depends if you have any software that depends on .Net Framework or not.

    I do not. I also do not have .Net Framework installed.

    ..Net Framework doesn't necessarily have anything to do with networking.

    [[What is the .NET Framework?
    The .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows
    different programming languages & libraries to work together seamlessly to
    create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy,
    and integrate with other networked systems. ]]
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/gettingstarted/default.aspx
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ssqb51hog8j964inrh61dpg2j0hfv79ipe@4ax.com,
    John <nospam@nospam.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > Additional question and a remark in-line
    >
    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:24:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
    >> Update.
    >>
    > Perhaps - not knowingly or intentionally, though . . .
    > I notice in the Control Panel > Add or remove programs, Microsoft .NET
    > Framework1.1 is mentioned as removable.
    > Considering the fact I don't network, and don't intend to, what would be
    > the repercussions of removing thisprogram?
    > Would it solve my originally mentioned problem?
    >
    >> PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After
    >> You Install the .NET Framework 1.1
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
    >>
    >> What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
    >> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >>
    >> Second: It's called Quick Launch.
    >>
    >> If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...
    >>
    > Thanks for your help! I've got this OK now.
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    Don't uninstall it. Many newer progs need it to run. It actually is a new
    programming system/style interface .NET

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> kirjoitti viestissä

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:09:40 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >John,
    >
    >Depends if you have any software that depends on .Net Framework or not.
    >
    >I do not. I also do not have .Net Framework installed.
    >
    >.Net Framework doesn't necessarily have anything to do with networking.

    Wes:

    I have uninstalled .Net Framework.

    As you already said it would, it did the trick.

    Thanks for your help! I appreciate!

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

    John,

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4u1h51hrjfv4fma0246f3p9ie399q5ar0n@4ax.com,
    John <nospam@nospam.ca> hunted and pecked:
    > On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:09:40 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    > <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> John,
    >>
    >> Depends if you have any software that depends on .Net Framework or not.
    >>
    >> I do not. I also do not have .Net Framework installed.
    >>
    >> .Net Framework doesn't necessarily have anything to do with networking.
    >
    > Wes:
    >
    > I have uninstalled .Net Framework.
    >
    > As you already said it would, it did the trick.
    >
    > Thanks for your help! I appreciate!
    >
    > John <><
    >
    > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    > with an other monkey's monkey.
    > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Microsoft Windows XP