Win XP problem; and a question - newby

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 7, 2005 8:59:53 PM

I recently installed Windows XP (Home) on my computer (in addition to Windows
98SE).

When I first installed XP, it went straight to the desk-top on boot-up.
Then (for no apparent reason) a screen came up "To begin, click your username",
and I had to click on it to go to the desk-top.
Someone suggested I get Tweak-UI, and change the settings on "Logon" >
"Autologon", and check "Log on automatyically at system startup".

I did, and for one or two logons things go OK, but then it will revert back to
showing the "To begin, click your username" screen.

How can I make this selection permanent (or at least till I choose to turn it
off)?

Second: On Windows 98, there are a bunch of icons right next to the "Start"
button, which are sort-of "quich access buttons" to certain programs.
One of them is "Show Desktop".
At any time, I can select it, and the desktop will show again.
Is there a similar command or button in Windows XP?

Thanks!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

More about : win problem question newby

Anonymous
April 7, 2005 8:59:54 PM

You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
Update.

PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
Install the .NET Framework 1.1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072

What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

Second: It's called Quick Launch.

To show the Quick Launch bar

To add a program to the Quick Launch bar

Start a program from the taskbar

If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...

How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190355

Or go here...

Read the instructions at the top
61. Right hand side
Restore/Add Show Desktop to Quick Launch Bar
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7c7b5193rmfo9o87nrdtri5cpl91r477l4@4ax.com,
John <nospam@nospam.ca> hunted and pecked:
> I recently installed Windows XP (Home) on my computer (in addition to
> Windows 98SE).
>
> When I first installed XP, it went straight to the desk-top on boot-up.
> Then (for no apparent reason) a screen came up "To begin, click your
> username", and I had to click on it to go to the desk-top.
> Someone suggested I get Tweak-UI, and change the settings on "Logon" >
> "Autologon", and check "Log on automatyically at system startup".
>
> I did, and for one or two logons things go OK, but then it will revert
> back to showing the "To begin, click your username" screen.
>
> How can I make this selection permanent (or at least till I choose to
> turn it off)?
>
> Second: On Windows 98, there are a bunch of icons right next to the
> "Start" button, which are sort-of "quich access buttons" to certain
> programs.
> One of them is "Show Desktop".
> At any time, I can select it, and the desktop will show again.
> Is there a similar command or button in Windows XP?
>
> Thanks!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
April 8, 2005 2:32:55 AM

Additional question and a remark in-line

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:24:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

>You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
>Update.

Perhaps - not knowingly or intentionally, though . . .
I notice in the Control Panel > Add or remove programs, Microsoft .NET
Framework1.1 is mentioned as removable.
Considering the fact I don't network, and don't intend to, what would be the
repercussions of removing thisprogram?
Would it solve my originally mentioned problem?

>PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
>Install the .NET Framework 1.1
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
>
>What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
>http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>
>Second: It's called Quick Launch.
>
>If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...

Thanks for your help! I've got this OK now.

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
April 8, 2005 11:09:40 AM

John,

Depends if you have any software that depends on .Net Framework or not.

I do not. I also do not have .Net Framework installed.

..Net Framework doesn't necessarily have anything to do with networking.

[[What is the .NET Framework?
The .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows
different programming languages & libraries to work together seamlessly to
create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy,
and integrate with other networked systems. ]]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/gettingstarted/d...
--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ssqb51hog8j964inrh61dpg2j0hfv79ipe@4ax.com,
John <nospam@nospam.ca> hunted and pecked:
> Additional question and a remark in-line
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:24:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
> <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
>> Update.
>>
> Perhaps - not knowingly or intentionally, though . . .
> I notice in the Control Panel > Add or remove programs, Microsoft .NET
> Framework1.1 is mentioned as removable.
> Considering the fact I don't network, and don't intend to, what would be
> the repercussions of removing thisprogram?
> Would it solve my originally mentioned problem?
>
>> PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After
>> You Install the .NET Framework 1.1
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
>>
>> What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
>> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
>>
>> Second: It's called Quick Launch.
>>
>> If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...
>>
> Thanks for your help! I've got this OK now.
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:28:13 PM

Don't uninstall it. Many newer progs need it to run. It actually is a new
programming system/style interface .NET

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> kirjoitti viestissä
> Additional question and a remark in-line
>
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:24:44 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >You must've installed Microsoft .Net Framework or the update in Windows
> >Update.
> >
> Perhaps - not knowingly or intentionally, though . . .
> I notice in the Control Panel > Add or remove programs, Microsoft .NET
> Framework1.1 is mentioned as removable.
> Considering the fact I don't network, and don't intend to, what would be
the
> repercussions of removing thisprogram?
> Would it solve my originally mentioned problem?
>
> >PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After
You
> >Install the .NET Framework 1.1
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072
> >
> >What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
> >http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
> >
> >Second: It's called Quick Launch.
> >
> >If Show Desktop Icon is missing from Quick Launch Toolbar...
> >
> Thanks for your help! I've got this OK now.
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
April 10, 2005 1:57:57 AM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:09:40 -0600, "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net>
wrote:

>John,
>
>Depends if you have any software that depends on .Net Framework or not.
>
>I do not. I also do not have .Net Framework installed.
>
>.Net Framework doesn't necessarily have anything to do with networking.

Wes:

I have uninstalled .Net Framework.

As you already said it would, it did the trick.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:33:20 AM

John,

Keep having fun. :-)