Hosed myself with memory timings

roble

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Soo....I thought I was so cool and had it all together.

I went into the BIOS on my brand new D875PBZ board and set the timings by hand, because I sure couldn't trust the readings that the board was getting off the SPD.

I went to the Corsair site and read their tested recommendations : CL:2 tRCD:2 tRP:2 tRAS:6

And then hit the save and exit --- that's the last thing I ever heard from my computer. Turn it on and I get nothing. It won't even respond to the front-panel power switch. (Yikes!)

So I was learning and got in over my head. Was this just a several hundred dollar lesson? Do I need to send the board to Intel to reset to the defaults? Is there something I can do to bail myself out?

Please, help a drowning newbie....

thx.

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
You did reset the CMOS right?

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>
3DMark score <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6582120" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6582120</A>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hehe reset the bios there should be a jumper on the mainboard for this. If you can not find the jumper just pull out the mainboard battery and plug it back in. Your system should be just fine.

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Like others have mentioned, simply reset your BIOS and you will be ok. You should find instructions on how to do this in your motherboard's manual. Usually, you just have to remove the mobo's battery, move a jumper for a few seconds and then put the battery back to its place.

Btw, 2-2-2-6 are normal timings for Corsair's XMS memory modules. Are you sure you have the XMS modules or maybe you simply have regular 'value' modules?

roble

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
Posting back my data after some investigation on www.asktheramguy.com (a community support site from Corsair.)

Three interesting pieces of data:

1) they are now backing off the 2-2-2-6 recommendations for owners of the D875PBZ MB. The recommendations that I was given were 2-3-3-6. For 875/865 chipsets in general, they seem to be recommending 2-3-2-6.
2) For owners of the D875PBZ board, they were directing buyers towards the CMX512-3500C2 modules, rather than 3200LL. It seems that the Intel boards can be somewhat finicky and they weren't encouraging about trying to OC this memory on this board.
3) They were hinting towards the release of new modules towards the end of the month that would address this problem. (Perhaps specifically targetted towards 875/865 boards.)

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
do you guys really pull batteries?
i never have, i just unplug the power, then move the thing on the cmos pins to the appropriate two, then plug in and power up, then power down, even though it never powered up, and unplug the power, then reset the pins and plug in and power up.
works every time

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
why would you pull the batteries out? these arent archaic 486 mobos you know

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

MrGAS

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I have the d875pbz and the corsair twinxpc3200 512x2 ddr400
and i could not run stable and was being rebooted and having trouble loading XP Pro.had no idea what the trouble was.reformatted multiple times,did all types of rearrange and after about three weeks of this recalled reading a forum some where about the cas2 in the ram.all I could remember were the #'s 2,3,3,6.
I went into the bios and changed the settings(took a while to figure being new at changing stuff in bios) MY MACHINE SCREAMS!!!
then after reading
http://houseofhelp.com/v2/forumdisplay.php?s=253db55a177ccc1c451e862bf85131ad&forumid=130 (Corsair help site) and teaching myself how to tune system up a little more,i have been on line 48 hours with no "send message of errors to microsoft sorry for inconvenience"or reboots!
then I realized and found the thread that fixed me up was here at THG on mobo&ram reviews!

THANK YOU TOM !!!

roble

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
One more last piece of advice on the D875PBZs and memory : it seems to help to make sure to be on the latest Intel BIOS. (P06)

Been running without a hitch on 2-3-3-6 for several days now.

Oh yeah --- I don't think that the D875PBZ has a jumper for BIOS reset. There is a BIOS configuration jumper, but it has three documented states: normal, password reset, and recovery. (Which is used to load a BIOS from floppy.) They docs actually recommend yanking the battery for troubleshooting.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reading your post, a person can get the idea that you can start a computer with the CMOS clear on reset setting. Maybe it is just me, but I lost a motherboard doing just that, kinda reread and maybe edit if you think so too.
Thanks,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

DrNick_

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2002
It may seem silly, but sometimes motherboards really <i>don't</i> clear the cmos unless the battery is removed. I recently had to have the battery out overnight; I thought it was really a stupid thing to do, but when it's all you have left to do, you try it ;) Well, my cmos problems were fixed then, as before I couldn't clear it even leaving it out for an hour.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good info, but you probably meant that for the original poster, and not me? I have never tried that, when I was having trouble like that, I couldn't even tell if the cmos HAD RESET. HEh.
Good Luck,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

helpme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I did the exact same thing with my new D875PBZ and Kingston HyperX KHX3200K2/1G (2 - 512MB) Memory. Everything worked fine until I manually changed the memory settings (was defaulting to 333mhz in Bios). When I hit save and exit, that was the last time I ever saw anything on my monitor. I took everything out and tested on a different motherboard and everything tested ok. I tried powering down and taking out the battery, but that didnt help. I tried moving the jumper, but I didnt see any way to reset the BIOS. If you could let me know step by step how you got it up and running, and if you could let me know what memory settings in bios were succesful for you, I sure would appreciate it.
(I'm kind of weak in the memory knowledge area, so if you could give me the bios headings and values, that would help me. I think the values are supposed to be 2-3-3 but I don't know what the 2's and 3's correspond to.)

On a side note, I've never heard anything from the onboard motherboard speaker. A friend who is a tech, tested my board and he said the Speaker "cable" from the case doesn't have to be plugged in to any pins on the motherboard for the speaker to work. I've had the Memory out, the processor out, and everything out and never heard a peep (usually I hear a lot of beeps when I do that on my other motherboards) Never have seen that on a motherboard before.

Thanks for your help

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya helpme;

Ok heres the deal.

your HyperX should time fine at 2-3-3-6 , if not try 2.5-3-3-6.

The setting of 166mhz is your external CPU frequency, or memory frequency, however your BIOS reguards it, dont set it more then 15Mhz over default and it will run without incident, this also overclocks your CPU as a byproduct, if you do you will need better then factory cooling on your CPU and heat sinks on your ram to acheive optimal results, and not risk causing instability or burning out your CPU or memory, Frequency and timing are two different things, dont confuse the two, Over doing it on either will cause problems as you found out.
Adjust one setting at a time.

Clear your C-Mos with the jumper and try again.

I hope i have helped.

XeeN

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeeNRecoiL on 06/20/03 03:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I don't think you have to do all that unplugging and powering on and off stuff. I think you can just shut down, momentarily move the jumper, move it back and boot up again.

In any case, what's wrong with pulling the battery? Simple, clean, guaranteed to clear everything.

-DOOM

<i>GeneticWeapon says: "Your days posting here have about come to an end... I promise you that by the time I'm done making my point to you, you wont want to be here anymore...you fuucking bitch."</i>

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
The problem is that the battery will sometimes save the Cmos settings like it's supposed to do and disregard the jumper. In response to Dr. Nick, you don't have to leave the battery out for hours. Just unplug the power supply and then hit the power button. This will purge the capacitors of their stored energy (a capacitor acts like an electrical sponge). Then move the jumper momentarily, replace the battery, plug in and go.

<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rebturtle.com/turtletech.htm" target="_new">My System</A>