Password on Remote desktop connection?

Hi,

I want to connect to my other pc (both running XP PRO). I've set-up remote
desktop access on both but when doing so wasn't prompted to set a password.
When I try to connect to either PC I'm asked for a password which I don't
have and I'm not allowed to connect.

Can someone let me know how I can avoid using passwords, or if I have to use
passwords where I set them.

Thanks.

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

You had to set the remote desktop connection with a
password for it to work.

To set passwords; click on Start\Run\ type;
control userpasswords2\hit enter\select the accout and
click on "Restore Password"\type a password, repeat
and accept, next apply and accept... now repeat the same
process on the other computer.
After you have managed to logon (I'd try twice) with each
account, proceed to turn on the Remote Desktop automatic
logon.

How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328

How to turn on Remote Desktop automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281262/

Hope this helps.

> I want to connect to my other pc (both running XP PRO). I've set-up remote
> desktop access on both but when doing so wasn't prompted to set a
password.
> When I try to connect to either PC I'm asked for a password which I don't
> have and I'm not allowed to connect.
>
> Can someone let me know how I can avoid using passwords, or if I have to
use
> passwords where I set them.
>
> Thanks.

So it's not possible to use remote desktop with having to set a password?

"Juan" <soyquiensoy@terra.com> wrote in message
> You had to set the remote desktop connection with a
> password for it to work.
>
> To set passwords; click on Start\Run\ type;
> control userpasswords2\hit enter\select the accout and
> click on "Restore Password"\type a password, repeat
> and accept, next apply and accept... now repeat the same
> process on the other computer.
> After you have managed to logon (I'd try twice) with each
> account, proceed to turn on the Remote Desktop automatic
> logon.
>
> How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328
>
> How to turn on Remote Desktop automatic logon in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281262/
>
> Hope this helps.

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

Yes, it's posible to use it either way, but you had to have
created the connection with passwords during the configuration
for it to work.... It's all related to default security and with no
passwords, theres's practically no security, that's the reason
it's no working, but after you have created passwords, remotely
loged-on and essentialy created "trust" on the system, you
can then configure the auto-logon on both computers and remote
access with auto-logon will be possible.
All you need to do now, is reconfigure the connection by
adding the password(s) and then try to connect.... If, there's no
remote logon posible, delete the connection and start all over again,
this time the right way. and after you have remotely loged-on a
few times, establish the auto-logon on both computers.

All necessary details are included in the KB pages included in
the last response.