gigabyte or msi

ijg0

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
The msi is much cheaper although you loose gigabit lan and dual bios.

If you are looking for ide raid then be careful with the msi board. You can only do raid with 2 serial ata, or 1 sata and 1 ide.

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
this is my $.02 cents and that's more than what it's probably worth. However, I bought a K7N2G-L and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't buy it. I'd go buy an INTEL, ABIT or ASUS...

Now, I don't know anything about Gigabyte so that's why I wouldn't put it on my list at this time. However, the MSI has not been easy to deal with thus far plus I had another MSI board that gave me fits a couple of years ago.

-ot

IC7-G 1.1| P4 2.8 800 | SLK900-U / 92mm Fan (AS3) | 2x512mb Corsair PC3500C2 | 2x120gb SG SATA RAID 0 | CM ATC201B-SXT | 520W | Radeon 9800 Pro | Audigy2

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
I have always liked msi mobos....they have always been very stable mobos although they seem to lack in the overclocking area at times....

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

soundwave5

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
In my experience I dont think theres that much difference between MSI and Gigabyte MoBo's. I personaly have been using Gigabyte boreds for the past 2-3 years now and have never had any issues. MSI might have a very small performence advantage however Gigabyte boreds usually have more features. Like I said before I dont think it really mattters there both good boreds and either one should work out fine.

Soundwave

endyen

Splendid
Look through the cpu and mobo forums. There seem to be a lot of problems lately with the MSI nforce boards. They want to run only at 100 mhz fsb seems very popular lately Being an asus fan and thinking that the nvidia apu is such good sound may I suggest the A7N8X Delux board.

Angry_Games

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2003
I have built a lot of MSI boards, but the last one was still the old K7T-Turbo2 (6335 I believe but dont quote me) based on SDRAM. I have around 20-25 of these machines running for small biz's in Orlando, and to my knowledge, they are all still running. Don't have much experience beyond that though.

As for Gigabyte, I am extremely fond of GB. I'd always seen them as 'value' in the same league as PC Chips, which means at the bottom. But I took a chance on a nicely priced GA-7VRXP2.0 at newegg one day, and to my surprise, it became my personal board for my comp.

It has features galore, and while not the fastest board, its ROCK STABLE. I'm NOT an overclocker, I find no use for overclocking when cpu's are all 1.5Ghz and above now, and that it seriously degrades the life of the products. Im not a nazi gestapo about it either, I feel like if you can and it works, then i'm impressed as much as the next guy =)

but I have built almost 20 systems this year alone on the Gigabyte boards, and every single one of them is flawless. All of them are the VIA chipsets though, and all but one is a KT333.

if you just want features and stability, and excellent reliability, go Gigabyte. If you want overclocking go with MSI.

of course these are my opinions, and my opinions are no better or worse than anyone else's hehe. In the end, its up to you to choose. YOu can get a bad board from ANY mfg. It happens.

Help! I don't speak Russian!!!