Your question

875&865 + IDE RAID

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • NAS / RAID
  • SATA
Last response: in Motherboards
June 10, 2003 12:59:54 PM

I'm not ready to move to SATA. I want two drive IDE RAID 0. What are my options?

More about : 875 865 ide raid

June 10, 2003 5:04:36 PM

you seem to know what you want....what exactly is your question?..

I will throw some advice and attempt to answer you....the best harddrives for the raid 0 array would be (2) western digital wd800JB's....if your motherboard has onboard ide rain controllers then you are set....if not then I fully recommend the Highpoint dual channel Rocketraid 133 pci card...I had outstanding drive performance from this setup!

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>
June 10, 2003 11:24:46 PM

I'm just disapointed that it's going to cost $40 just for this one extra feature. The only boards with built in PATA controllers are the high end ones. SATA to PATA converters are expensive. Add-in card. There all about the same. I was hoping someone knew something I didn't. $40 would be better spent elsewhere. RAID just isnt going to increase performance enough (gaming PC) to warrent the extra cost.
Related resources
June 11, 2003 12:58:09 AM

The Asus 865 board has a good IDE RAID on the Northbridge.
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2003 8:00:11 AM

Your options are to either get SATA to PATA adapters confirmed compatable with your board (expensive), or get a IDE RAID controller card (cheap). You find Silicon Image RAID controller cards for around $25 at various online venders.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
June 11, 2003 5:26:36 PM

yes you are correct...you will not see a performance increase in gaming just out of running a RAID setup....but you will in some other enviroments....I do wish mobos still came with IDE raid instead of them all converting to serial ata raid onboard

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>
!