From AMD to Intel without formatting

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’ll be changing from AMD to Intel in a couple days. At first I figure I would format, but that would be a lot of work, especially if I get an ATi card anytime soon, which I get the impression I would defiantly have to format if I have any problems.

At most I’m thinking uninstall my Nic and sound, since there built in the new mobo, and uninstall my GF4. Then switch the parts and let it rip and do a repair if I have to and with any luck get the OS up and maybe give MS a little ring. I can always format if I have any problems, but does anyone have a better way to do this with out formatting? And what about all those VIA drivers in the device manager kill them all?

CPU to AGP
PCI to ISA
CPU to PCI

VIA- USB

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
one thing you can do is to go to device manager and uninstall almost everything in the list and install the new mobo, processor, etc....when the computer boots it should find everything all over again. A full reformat of course would yield the best results.

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Yeah thanks. I suppose that would include the processor. I can’t wait for Thursday to get here, hopefully I won’t have to post saying my PC won’t boot! I’m going to use DDR 2400 C2 memory and keep my figures crossed I can run it at DDR333 on a P4P800

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Formatting the drive is probably the best option, but if you're running XP it seems to do a pretty good job of setting up the new hardware. I've done it a few times when I didn't want to reformat and it worked OK. MUCH better than Win 9.x.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
That's cool, I’ll have to see how it goes for me