Activation

I have a Client who has not activated Windows within the 28 days and has
lost the Windows XP CD.

I have, of course, advised him that he needs to get a Windows XP CD.

Can he use the code on this CD to activate or does he have to re-install
from scratch? Obviously there is a great advantage in avoiding
re-installing.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
4 answers Last reply
More about activation

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:52:12 +0100, Bill Ridgeway wrote:

    > I have a Client who has not activated Windows within the 28 days and has
    > lost the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > I have, of course, advised him that he needs to get a Windows XP CD.
    >
    > Can he use the code on this CD to activate or does he have to re-install
    > from scratch? Obviously there is a great advantage in avoiding
    > re-installing.
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    Putting aside the missing CD issue...

    If the client starts the system in Safe Mode, he should be able to activate
    the current installation over the phone. The code needed to do this is not
    the same as the 25 character product key. It's a long, long series of
    characters that is generated during the activation process.

    There are some new activation rules regarding OEM CDs installed on changed
    hardware. If there is a new motherboard on an otherwise original HP, for
    example, this system would fall under the new rules (required phone
    activation). I haven't studied the particulars of the new rules yet but
    suspect that the 25 character product key may be needed for that type of
    scenario.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In news:d35d71$qce$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Bill Ridgeway <info@1001solutions.co.uk> typed:

    > I have a Client who has not activated Windows within the 28
    > days and
    > has lost the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > I have, of course, advised him that he needs to get a Windows
    > XP CD.

    If his was a retail version, he should be able to get it
    replaced. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246.

    But if it was an OEM version, Microsoft won't support it and he's
    probably out of luck, and will have to buy a new one. However it
    doesn't hurt to try asking the OEM he bought it from if they can
    replace it.

    > Can he use the code on this CD to activate

    If the CD is the same type (Home vs. Professional; Retail vs.
    OEM; Full vs Upgrade), yes.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have a Client who has not activated Windows within the 28 days and has
    >lost the Windows XP CD.
    >
    >I have, of course, advised him that he needs to get a Windows XP CD.
    >
    >Can he use the code on this CD to activate or does he have to re-install
    >from scratch? Obviously there is a great advantage in avoiding
    >re-installing.
    >
    >Regards.
    >
    >Bill Ridgeway
    >Computer Solutions

    The CD should not be required for Activation. The critical component,
    insofar as the license is concerned, is the Product Key and not the CD
    disk.

    If his Windows XP is an OEM version (came bundled with a new PC) then
    the Product Key should be on a label affixed to the outside of the
    computer case, often on the rear or the bottom. If it is a retail
    version then the product key was in the package with the CD.

    However in either case if the Windows XP was installed and usable for
    the past 30 days then the product key must have been entered correctly
    at the time of installation/first startup. You can determine the
    product key used to install Windows XP with the following utilities:
    Windows XP Product Key finder:
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe
    Magic Jelly Bean key finder:

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In news:d35d71$qce$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk,
    Bill Ridgeway <info@1001solutions.co.uk> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I have a Client who has not activated Windows within the 28 days and
    > has lost the Windows XP CD.
    >
    > I have, of course, advised him that he needs to get a Windows XP CD.
    >
    > Can he use the code on this CD to activate or does he have to
    > re-install from scratch? Obviously there is a great advantage in
    > avoiding re-installing. to
    >
    > Regards.
    >
    > Bill Ridgeway
    > Computer Solutions

    The XP CD is not really the important part of the problem. The Product Key
    that was located on the back of Green or Blue presentation folder where the
    retail XP CD was presented or the label on the shrink-wrap for the
    non-vendor OEM versions is the important part, that is where the Product Key
    is located. If the original folders or labels are not found, the options are
    limited to the version purchased. If the version was OEM, it is very likely
    they will be out of luck obtaining the PK from the vendor that sold them the
    OEM version. Retail purchases can get a new product key if they have proof
    of purchase documentation from MS. If the clients situation warrants
    desperate measures, Google for solutions.
    Use this link to bring system back to MS complicense.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom