I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
installation ?

You are allowed to upgrade to Window XP. When you start the XP installation
it will ask you for your copy of Windows ME/98/95, whatever it is that you
have. Place the CD in the drive and the program will just do some reading
from the CD to verify that you have a valid copy. If you have a valid copy,
XP will continue on with the installation routine.

In news:al0d51h4uia48v41ushad6n3ds1opea1rm@4ax.com,
Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

> I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then
> upgraded to
> WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now
> allow
> me to further upgrade to WinXP.

Yes.

> Or do I have to buy the full XP
> installation ?

No, an Upgrade CD is fine.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Also, if you would like to reformat and do a clean install, you have the
option of doing a clean install from the upgrade CD, once you show Windows
the qualifying CD.

"Colin Westley" <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
> WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
> me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
> installation ?

Thanks to everyone for the responses...
If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
or indeed both?

In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me,
> which
> would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe
> upgrade,

It doesn't matter. Either will work.

> or indeed both?

No, that's not a choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
>WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
>me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
>installation ?

I would have serious concerns about a computer from the Windows 95 era
being adequate for running Windows XP. There are likely to be serious
shortcomings in terms of CPU speed, amount of RAM, and hard drive
space. The requirements for Windows XP are *vastly* higher than
Windows 95 in all of these aspects.

Post the hardware specs back here if you would like an opinion as to
the suitability of the hardware for running Windows XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> respectfully replied ;-)
> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
> would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
> or indeed both?

Always prep for a clean install but take the option to upgrade first. If you
remove all non-compatible hardware and software plus backing up all data not
available from other sources, the likely result of the upgrade will be a
success, and if for some obscure reason it isn't, you are prepared for the
clean install. If the upgrade is a success, you saved hours, days, weeks in
time and possible lost data forgotten in the backup. If the upgrade is not a
success, you lost the time it took to upgrade, plus the time deciding it
didn't work. 2-2 1/2 hours or more for procrastinators compared to the clean
install time needed to reach the same level.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:05:11 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
>>WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
>>me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
>>installation ?

Thanks for your concerns Ron, I do appreciate the point you are making
and on reflection my plan would probably be to upgrade the motherboard
and CPU to a spec that would accomodate XP and use the WinMe or Win95
route to enable a lower cost installation of XP.
>I would have serious concerns about a computer from the Windows 95 era
>being adequate for running Windows XP. There are likely to be serious
>shortcomings in terms of CPU speed, amount of RAM, and hard drive
>space. The requirements for Windows XP are *vastly* higher than
>Windows 95 in all of these aspects.
>
>Post the hardware specs back here if you would like an opinion as to
>the suitability of the hardware for running Windows XP.
>
>Good luck
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

"Colin Westley" <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
> WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
> me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
> installation ?

Yes you can use the XP Upgrade version.

As a side note I've installed XP and run it reasonably well an some very old
systems including a Compaq Deskpro 2000 which is a P-200 mmx with 128MB RAM
and 8GB hard drive. BIOS date was 1997 if I recall correctly. People might
find that it is a lot slower than they like but I found that I could readily
navigate the internet, e-mail, and run MS Office 2000 with no trouble at
all. Just turned off all of XP's eye candy and used FAT32 file system.
Obviously that Compaq isn't a gaming system and will be hard pressed to run
a USB camera on MSN but for basic purposes it worked well and was much more
stable than Windows 9x/Me.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks for your concerns Ron, I do appreciate the point you are making
>and on reflection my plan would probably be to upgrade the motherboard
>and CPU to a spec that would accomodate XP and use the WinMe or Win95
>route to enable a lower cost installation of XP.

If you do your shopping on eBay or if you are content with used
components then you might be able to get away with just upgrading the
motherboard and CPU.

However if it is a Windows 95 era machine then in order to upgrade to
reasonably current specs you are likely to have to replace:
- motherboard
- CPU
- RAM
- Power Supply (especially for motherboards that support the Intel P4
class CPUs)
- Case, if the existing motherboard is the older AT style rather than
the newer ATX style. The power on/off switch and the rear panel
connectors for keyboard, mouse, USB, etc. are major differences
between the AT and ATX designs.

If you do need to replace all of these it is probably going to be
cheaper to buy a complete new computer and keep your existing one as a
second machine or sell it as an intact functioning computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Upgrade from Win95 can't be done, at all. Windows 98 minimum is required.

"GerryS" <GerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You are allowed to upgrade to Window XP. When you start the XP
> installation
> it will ask you for your copy of Windows ME/98/95, whatever it is that you
> have. Place the CD in the drive and the program will just do some reading
> from the CD to verify that you have a valid copy. If you have a valid
> copy,
> XP will continue on with the installation routine.
>
> "Colin Westley" wrote:
>
>> I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
>> WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
>> me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
>> installation ?

Windows ME - you can't upgrade from Win 95.

> In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
> Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:
>
>> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
>> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
>> would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
>

> It doesn't matter. Either will work.

No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-

Andrew Murray wrote:
>> In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
>> Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:
>>
>>> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
>>> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me,
>>> which would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe
>>> upgrade,
>>

>> It doesn't matter. Either will work.
>>
> No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-

Since the OP is going the "reformat route," Win 95 is an option. Win 95
won't qualify for an upgrade install, however.

"Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Upgrade from Win95 can't be done, at all. Windows 98 minimum is required.

The WinMe CD will qualify for using an upgrade version, even though WinMe
was an upgrade, too.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> Andrew Murray wrote:
>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
>>> Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

>>> It doesn't matter. Either will work.
>>>
>> No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-
>
> Since the OP is going the "reformat route," Win 95 is an option. Win 95
> won't qualify for an upgrade install, however.

But the WinMe upgrade CD will.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com