Upgrade from WinMe

I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
installation ?
16 answers Last reply
More about upgrade winme

    You are allowed to upgrade to Window XP. When you start the XP installation
    it will ask you for your copy of Windows ME/98/95, whatever it is that you
    have. Place the CD in the drive and the program will just do some reading
    from the CD to verify that you have a valid copy. If you have a valid copy,
    XP will continue on with the installation routine.

    In news:al0d51h4uia48v41ushad6n3ds1opea1rm@4ax.com,
    Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

    > I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then
    > upgraded to
    > WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now
    > allow
    > me to further upgrade to WinXP.

    Yes.

    > Or do I have to buy the full XP
    > installation ?

    No, an Upgrade CD is fine.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Also, if you would like to reformat and do a clean install, you have the
    option of doing a clean install from the upgrade CD, once you show Windows
    the qualifying CD.

    "Colin Westley" <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
    > WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
    > me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
    > installation ?

    Thanks to everyone for the responses...
    If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
    would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
    or indeed both?

    In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
    Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

    > Thanks to everyone for the responses...
    > If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me,
    > which
    > would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe
    > upgrade,

    It doesn't matter. Either will work.

    > or indeed both?

    No, that's not a choice.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
    >WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
    >me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
    >installation ?

    I would have serious concerns about a computer from the Windows 95 era
    being adequate for running Windows XP. There are likely to be serious
    shortcomings in terms of CPU speed, amount of RAM, and hard drive
    space. The requirements for Windows XP are *vastly* higher than
    Windows 95 in all of these aspects.

    Post the hardware specs back here if you would like an opinion as to
    the suitability of the hardware for running Windows XP.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
    Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Thanks to everyone for the responses...
    > If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
    > would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
    > or indeed both?

    Always prep for a clean install but take the option to upgrade first. If you
    remove all non-compatible hardware and software plus backing up all data not
    available from other sources, the likely result of the upgrade will be a
    success, and if for some obscure reason it isn't, you are prepared for the
    clean install. If the upgrade is a success, you saved hours, days, weeks in
    time and possible lost data forgotten in the backup. If the upgrade is not a
    success, you lost the time it took to upgrade, plus the time deciding it
    didn't work. 2-2 1/2 hours or more for procrastinators compared to the clean
    install time needed to reach the same level.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:05:11 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
    >>WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
    >>me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
    >>installation ?

    Thanks for your concerns Ron, I do appreciate the point you are making
    and on reflection my plan would probably be to upgrade the motherboard
    and CPU to a spec that would accomodate XP and use the WinMe or Win95
    route to enable a lower cost installation of XP.
    >I would have serious concerns about a computer from the Windows 95 era
    >being adequate for running Windows XP. There are likely to be serious
    >shortcomings in terms of CPU speed, amount of RAM, and hard drive
    >space. The requirements for Windows XP are *vastly* higher than
    >Windows 95 in all of these aspects.
    >
    >Post the hardware specs back here if you would like an opinion as to
    >the suitability of the hardware for running Windows XP.
    >
    >Good luck
    >

    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    "Colin Westley" <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
    > WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
    > me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
    > installation ?

    Yes you can use the XP Upgrade version.

    As a side note I've installed XP and run it reasonably well an some very old
    systems including a Compaq Deskpro 2000 which is a P-200 mmx with 128MB RAM
    and 8GB hard drive. BIOS date was 1997 if I recall correctly. People might
    find that it is a lot slower than they like but I found that I could readily
    navigate the internet, e-mail, and run MS Office 2000 with no trouble at
    all. Just turned off all of XP's eye candy and used FAT32 file system.
    Obviously that Compaq isn't a gaming system and will be hard pressed to run
    a USB camera on MSN but for basic purposes it worked well and was much more
    stable than Windows 9x/Me.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Thanks for your concerns Ron, I do appreciate the point you are making
    >and on reflection my plan would probably be to upgrade the motherboard
    >and CPU to a spec that would accomodate XP and use the WinMe or Win95
    >route to enable a lower cost installation of XP.

    If you do your shopping on eBay or if you are content with used
    components then you might be able to get away with just upgrading the
    motherboard and CPU.

    However if it is a Windows 95 era machine then in order to upgrade to
    reasonably current specs you are likely to have to replace:
    - motherboard
    - CPU
    - RAM
    - Power Supply (especially for motherboards that support the Intel P4
    class CPUs)
    - Case, if the existing motherboard is the older AT style rather than
    the newer ATX style. The power on/off switch and the rear panel
    connectors for keyboard, mouse, USB, etc. are major differences
    between the AT and ATX designs.

    If you do need to replace all of these it is probably going to be
    cheaper to buy a complete new computer and keep your existing one as a
    second machine or sell it as an intact functioning computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Upgrade from Win95 can't be done, at all. Windows 98 minimum is required.

    "GerryS" <GerryS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You are allowed to upgrade to Window XP. When you start the XP
    > installation
    > it will ask you for your copy of Windows ME/98/95, whatever it is that you
    > have. Place the CD in the drive and the program will just do some reading
    > from the CD to verify that you have a valid copy. If you have a valid
    > copy,
    > XP will continue on with the installation routine.
    >
    > "Colin Westley" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a pc which was originaly running Win95 and was then upgraded to
    >> WinMe via a retail WinMe upgrade CD. Does this combination now allow
    >> me to further upgrade to WinXP. Or do I have to buy the full XP
    >> installation ?

    Windows ME - you can't upgrade from Win 95.

    > In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
    > Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:
    >
    >> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
    >> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me, which
    >> would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe upgrade,
    >

    > It doesn't matter. Either will work.

    No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Andrew Murray wrote:
    >> In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
    >> Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:
    >>
    >>> Thanks to everyone for the responses...
    >>> If I take the reformat route, which would be preferable for me,
    >>> which would be the qualifying CD? The original Win95 or the WinMe
    >>> upgrade,
    >>

    >> It doesn't matter. Either will work.
    >>
    > No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-

    Since the OP is going the "reformat route," Win 95 is an option. Win 95
    won't qualify for an upgrade install, however.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Upgrade from Win95 can't be done, at all. Windows 98 minimum is required.

    The WinMe CD will qualify for using an upgrade version, even though WinMe
    was an upgrade, too.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew Murray wrote:
    >> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
    >>> In news:9tjd51hbiocmd8gvln6pji8r4rrkhcdp6u@4ax.com,
    >>> Colin Westley <colin@NOSPAMyorks.karoo.co.uk> typed:

    >>> It doesn't matter. Either will work.
    >>>
    >> No they won't. Windows 95 will not qualify as an upgrade product!-
    >
    > Since the OP is going the "reformat route," Win 95 is an option. Win 95
    > won't qualify for an upgrade install, however.

    But the WinMe upgrade CD will.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com