Best Partition type for Win2k ??

Junkcollector

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am looking to install Win2k Professional on a 10gb hard drive of mine. Does anyone know what kind of partition (NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, etc) will be the best to use.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Unless if you want the data on the drive to be readable in OSs such as Win98, in which case you would probably want FAT32 for compatibility.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are was to do it with a NTFS system. If you need to get data from a Win2k machine to a Win98 machine use a network or if its lots of info install the drive with win98 in the win2k machine and copy over from under win2k. I have a dual boot win2k/98 with two partions on my machine. If i need to get something onto the win98 partition i copy it over under win2k then boot into win98. I spend 95% of my time in win2k. I only have win98 for a few programs and games.

A wise man once said, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep. I do exactly the same thing. I hate how Win2k reserves 12.5% of the drive for the mft though. At the absolute most on my system partition, I use 13meg for the mft. It's too bad you can't make it reserve only 2%.
NTFS is faster, but I'm not sure it wins the 'efficiency' award.....

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, but the security features are nice too for NTFS. The extra size reserved in not really worried about, I got a large enough drive.

A wise man once said, "Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining."

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
i loaded win2k pro on my c: drive as ntfs and d: fat32 so i can run programs that can not see ntfs or will not load onto it. i like running games and other things that would not load on ntfs. Which is better? NTFS work, for play fat32 so use both. No problems so far.

:cool:

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What games can you not load on win2k? i have everything from 98 on 2k and have no problems running it.as a matter of fact actually runs faster.

are you still playing doom? :)

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My friend said he had problems installing drivers for the sound card with NTFS and FAT32 partitions. I am not sure mixing partitions would create troubles for the driver installtions. You guys think that's possible?

-------------
This site is cool.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You're right on the ones with software graphics being rendered faster. There's not a whole lot of games that are incompatible with win2k nowadays. Someone on the net has a huge list, but I can't remember the url. Curse of Monkey Island, Jagged Alliance 2, Tomb Raider 1.....most of the games from 98 and before. If you are getting slow frame rates with win2k, it's usually the drivers.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
huh? filesystem has nothing to do with drivers working.

Both FAT32 and NTFS are good compared to old FAT. NTFS is reported to be a lot better to have a pagefile on.

I actually found that an NTFS volume gives slightly less space than a FAT32 volume (same disk, formatted twice) but I have found NTFS to be rock solid. All sorts of power offs, copy failures etc and alway recovered with no disk errors.

Oh yeah - what ever you do - keep defragging. A guy once told me that NTFS didn't fragment - I laughed...

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Right file systems has nothing to do with drivers but my friend is so convinced I cannot tell him otherwise...

I have noticed that w2k never checks for hard disks in NTFS partitions after incorrect sequence of shutting down the computer. And w2k even avoid checking the partition that was not used when the improper shut down was carried out.

-------------
This site is cool.

G

Boot from a 95 or 98 emergency disk, go into fdisk, remove all partitions, reboot go back into fdisk, enter yes when you see message 98 supports drives larger then 2 gb. Setup 2gb partition, format, then install 2000 Professional. After install is complete format remaining 8 gb as ntfs.
Piece of cake! Good Luck

G

<A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com/index.shtml" target="_new">NT Compatable</A> has a large compatability list of hardware and software for NT4 and 5(Win2K)

Sarcasm maybe the recourse of a weak mind,
But it can be funny as hell.