Wireless USB print servers?

I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find
claim you need a "compatible printer" without any indication of what
that means. Is that "try it, and if it works it's OK, if it doesn't
it's not supported", or is there some secret?

Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about wireless print servers

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 08:14:55 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find
    >claim you need a "compatible printer" without any indication of what
    >that means. Is that "try it, and if it works it's OK, if it doesn't
    >it's not supported", or is there some secret?

    Do you have any idea of how many USB printers a manufactory would need
    to test? My guess is that there are about 10,000 models and mutations
    sold in the last 8 years or so. Dlink has a compatibility list:

    http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1263&question=DP%2D300U+
    but is far from complete (or accurate) as most of the printers listed
    are not USB printers.

    Where you get into trouble are multi-malfunction printers that include
    scanners, camera memory cards, fax, and modem capabilities. None that
    I've ever tried have worked with a USB print servers. They're for
    printers and only for printers.

    I've also had problems with overly intelligent printers that have
    built-in configuration servers. While USB is nothing but a fancy
    serial port, one would expect such things to be a no-brainer.
    Apparently not. I can configure the HP1200 laser printer directly
    connected to the USB port, but not through a USB print server. (The
    HP 175x Ethernet to USB print server seems to work just fine).

    Therefore, the magic formula is that it will work with a simple,
    unintelligent, dumb, USB printer, that isn't multi-malfunctional, and
    doesn't require internal configuration.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    I would assume that those devices work with most "modern" printers. What
    concerns me though about those devices is the lack of support I have seen
    for WPA. I briefly looked into them and they only supported WEP. It's
    possible that some of them will support now or soon WPA shared key. I am
    more interested in WPA radius as that is how I have my home network setup
    with EAP-TLS.

    Jeff

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find
    > claim you need a "compatible printer" without any indication of what
    > that means. Is that "try it, and if it works it's OK, if it doesn't
    > it's not supported", or is there some secret?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Jeff

    Does that mean you have a server? What's it running?

    tnx
    jtm

    "Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    I would assume that those devices work with most "modern" printers. What
    concerns me though about those devices is the lack of support I have seen
    for WPA. I briefly looked into them and they only supported WEP. It's
    possible that some of them will support now or soon WPA shared key. I am
    more interested in WPA radius as that is how I have my home network setup
    with EAP-TLS.

    Jeff

    If you are referring to WPA RADIUS, then the answer is yes. I am running
    Windows 2003. Windows 2000 server also has this capability. You setup a
    RADIUS server through Internet Authentication Services (IAS). I also have a
    certificate authority running as well. Again, this comes with Windows
    2000/2003.

    Jeff

    William wrote:
    > I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find
    > claim you need a "compatible printer" without any indication of what
    > that means. Is that "try it, and if it works it's OK, if it doesn't
    > it's not supported", or is there some secret?

    I suspect that means "anything with a Centronics PC-compatible interface".
    I just added a rather simple receipt printer to a WinXPHome system with a
    USB-Parallel printer cable. Presumably the same kind of driver.

    --
    ---

    dold@XReXXWirel.usenet.us.com wrote:
    >William wrote:
    >> I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find

    >I suspect that means "anything with a Centronics PC-compatible interface".

    Why would I be looking for a USB print server with a Centronics
    interface?

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:32:12 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 08:14:55 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find
    >>claim you need a "compatible printer" without any indication of what
    >>that means. Is that "try it, and if it works it's OK, if it doesn't
    >>it's not supported", or is there some secret?
    >
    >Do you have any idea of how many USB printers a manufactory would need
    >to test? My guess is that there are about 10,000 models and mutations
    >sold in the last 8 years or so. Dlink has a compatibility list:
    >
    >http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1263&question=DP%2D300U+
    >but is far from complete (or accurate) as most of the printers listed
    >are not USB printers.
    >
    >Where you get into trouble are multi-malfunction printers that include
    >scanners, camera memory cards, fax, and modem capabilities. None that
    >I've ever tried have worked with a USB print servers. They're for
    >printers and only for printers.
    >
    >I've also had problems with overly intelligent printers that have
    >built-in configuration servers. While USB is nothing but a fancy
    >serial port, one would expect such things to be a no-brainer.
    >Apparently not. I can configure the HP1200 laser printer directly
    >connected to the USB port, but not through a USB print server. (The
    >HP 175x Ethernet to USB print server seems to work just fine).
    >
    >Therefore, the magic formula is that it will work with a simple,
    >unintelligent, dumb, USB printer, that isn't multi-malfunctional, and
    >doesn't require internal configuration.

    On the money, as usual.
    John

    William wrote:
    > dold@XReXXWirel.usenet.us.com wrote:
    >>William wrote:
    >>> I'm looking fro a WiFi USB print server, and all the ones I can find

    >>I suspect that means "anything with a Centronics PC-compatible interface".

    > Why would I be looking for a USB print server with a Centronics
    > interface?

    An allegory run aok ;-)
    I saw the "USB" and the "compatible" and put those together.

    Any USB printer is very likely to be "compatible" with any USB print
    server. It is such a commodity, there is no broad testing done.

    Blank CDROMs probably contain some commentary about "compatible" writers.
    (Another allegory, closer on point.)

    --
    ---

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:51:41 -0700, John <john@nospam.net> wrote:

    (...)
    >On the money, as usual.
    >John

    Money? What money? I do this because... well, never mind. I don't
    know why I'm doing this... It's certainly not for the money.

    Here's another clue. The HP 175x USB print server data sheet lists
    the HP printers that are supported:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-236253-64302-34214-64302-28830.html
    Notice that not one of the combination multi-malfunction
    printer/scanner/fax/ram-card/modem devices are listed.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Wireless USB Servers Wireless Networking