Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I built my new computer last week:

I7 920 @ 2.66ghz
Asus P6t Reg
6gb 1600 ram
640gb hd
gtx 285

and the 285 came with far cry 2. i installed windows 7.
last 4 days ive been playing far cry 2 at 60 fps. and now today its suddenly going at 30 fps. i cant figure out why. ive tried toning down everything loading a different save everything but i cant figure out how to get it to go back to around 60 fps.

also on a second note does anyone know how to play online without getting kicked by punkbuster in windows 7

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Usually, when the game goes from 60 to 30, it's because of VSynch... since you probably had it on to start with (since you mention you were running at 60 all the time), then you *might* have disabled triple buffering without realizing it.

Triple Buffering helps when VSynch is ON by creating another image in a 3rd buffer if the back image (the one about to be flipped on VSynch) is ready and the GPU has time to spare for another image.

Wouldn't know about the online stuff.. don't have FC2 yet :) Good luck

P.S. not sure if you can set Triple buffering in FC2, but you definitively can in the nVidia control panel.

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Forgot to mention that if the Triple Buffering thingy doesn't work, test the following...

Disable VSynch at the driver level (to be sure it's not forced) and in game (just in case) and see if your FPS improves back to normal.

If not, then it's related to something else entirely... did you install new drivers or software recently?

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Ok, so VSynch OFF = 50% improved FPS but not back to the 60 FPS you used to get (with VSynch ON).

Only things I can think of are...

1) You've got an app running in the background that takes resources and a lot of it to decrease your fps where it becomes noticeable. Check with Task Manager if something is using a lot of CPU resources even when not running FC2. I use Process Explorer myself (Sysinternals) but both will let you know if an app hogs resources. If you find one, find out what it's for.

2) Redo an install of your display drivers.

3) if you use Riva Tuner, reset the drivers to their defaults using Riva Tuner (this helped me once on another type of issue, but it fixed it). -- you can also try in the nVidia Control Panel -- there's a button called 'restore' in the "Manage 3D Settings" section but I'm not sure it resets everything as River Tuner does. Still worth a shot.

Good luck...

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Hmm, you said you were using Windows 7.. is it 64bit?

Also, I'm not sure about this since I don't own this game, but is there an .exe for both DX9 and DX10? if so, try both and see if there's a difference.

Last question, how do you determine your FPS? Do you use a benchmark similar to the one found in Crysis? or do you check ingame with the game itself or with FRAPs etc?

If you use FRAPS or ingame fps counter, do you use the same areas to compare?

darknova_

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
i did a clean install of windows 7 to get it back to 60 fps. still dont know what the problem was but what you were saying about riva tuner, would increasing the fan speed send down the fps. because i increased it to permanantley fixed 100% because gtx 285 was reaching 78 degrees celcius and i didnt want to damagge the card

Rej

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Increasing the fan to 100% won't decrease your FPS. 78c isn't that bad either btw. I don't think you had an issue with overheating. If 100% isn't too noisy for you, it's not a bad idea to leave it there. I set my fan to 85% and it never goes over 71-72c.

So you reinstalled Win7 and it worked at 60fps for awhile until it came back to 30fps without any reasons.

Only thing left (IMO) is that you have a new process that takes up a LOT of resources to drive down the FPS of the game.

do you use any Antivirus/antispyware apps? What firewall are you using as well?

as I mentioned in my previous post, try to find out what's running before and WHILE you run FC2 to see if there isn't a process hogging the CPU while you play.

And with 6gig of Mem, it's not memory related.

Oh, are you able to compare other DirectX apps other than FC2 to see if you get the same problem? A good example would be either 3DMark (06 or Vantage if you have it). The only issue is that if there's a suspicious app that takes resource right now, you might have to redo the install to get a clean environment and retest with those apps as well. Once FC2 lost it's 60FPS to 30FPS, you could then retest 3DMark to see if you get the same results or not.

This would help determine if *only* FC2 is at fault here or not. If not, then it's definitively another app hogging your resources.

But what I'd do first is test with an Antivirus/AntiSpyware to see if there's something running that's not supposed to be there.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
You could always eject Farcry 2 from the drive and throw it down the toilet and play something much better. That should sort the problem you're having but it may return if you play F.E.A.R 2...it's a known problem with these games. They're just too poo for any sane computer to play.
Hope that helps :D
AC :na:

G

Running from one end of the map to the other endlessly doing basically the same thing each time without any sense of progression can be done at 30 or 60 fps or any combination of the two and it would still be a lesson in how not to ruin a good game brand!

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I find 30 FPS annoying but just optimize the machine then lower settings until you get it to where you want it is the only way to do it without purchasing better hardware.

darknova_

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
3d mark vantage also runs at like 30 fps checked for processes non suspicious, cpu at only 30 % utilization while playing, and bp maybe you should read the entire post

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Equipment needed:

2 X Handbags
1 X Field (large enough for twenty paces)
1 X Independent referee

Methods:

1. A meeting is scheduled (usually around dawn) between the protagonists in a field that is mutually acceptable (see above requirements for field)

2. Each candidate picks their weapon (a handbag of no more than 3lbs in weight)

3. Candidates stand back to back and then proceed to walk 10 paces (on the command of the referee) in opposite directions whilst swinging weapons daintily.

4. Candidates are then permitted (once spectators are in place to watch the degrading hilarity) to turn and run at each other, in the girlie style, and engage in lady like bag hitting until someone has had enough and retracts the offending statement of 'IT ignorance'.

5. The victor can now enjoy the spoils of his 'victory' whilst the rest of us get on with life (usually gaming).

Conclusion:

I am fed up with seeing this thread rise to the top via tit for tat jibes (amusing as it is)

Thankyou
AC ;)