Start Menu behaviour

Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing lots
of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave in
an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I go
up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.

However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Knobert,

You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:

Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
"Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing
lots
> of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave
in
> an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I
go
> up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
> the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
> program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
> double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
> expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
>
> However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
> submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
> Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi

Brilliant! Back to normal. I did look in that properties section before, but
that checkbox didn't seem at all relevant, so I left it be! Thanks very much
for your help.

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Knobert,
>
> You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:
>
> Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
> button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
> Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
> checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing
> lots
> > of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave
> in
> > an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I
> go
> > up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
> > the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
> > program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
> > double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
> > expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
> >
> > However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
> > submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
> > Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

You're very welcome! :)

Regards,

--

> Hi
>
> Brilliant! Back to normal. I did look in that properties section before,
but
> that checkbox didn't seem at all relevant, so I left it be! Thanks very
much
> for your help.
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Knobert,
> >
> > You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:
> >
> > Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
> > button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
> > Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
> > checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After
installing
> > lots
> > > of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to
behave
> > in
> > > an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when
> > go
> > > up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with
all
> > > the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and
one
> > > program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs)
and a
> > > double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the
submenu
> > > expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
> > >
> > > However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
> > > submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on
my
> > > Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.

amy

Patti, maybe you can help me with my similar problem. Please read my posting
on 4-10 titled "unable to view my programs from start". I had one reply but
it didnt help. thanks.