Start Menu behaviour

Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing lots
of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave in
an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I go
up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.

However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about start menu behaviour

    Hi Knobert,

    You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:

    Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
    button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
    Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
    checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing
    lots
    > of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave
    in
    > an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I
    go
    > up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
    > the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
    > program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
    > double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
    > expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
    >
    > However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
    > submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
    > Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hi

    Brilliant! Back to normal. I did look in that properties section before, but
    that checkbox didn't seem at all relevant, so I left it be! Thanks very much
    for your help.

    "Patti MacLeod" wrote:

    > Hi Knobert,
    >
    > You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:
    >
    > Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
    > button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
    > Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
    > checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After installing
    > lots
    > > of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to behave
    > in
    > > an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when I
    > go
    > > up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with all
    > > the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and one
    > > program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs) and a
    > > double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the submenu
    > > expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
    > >
    > > However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
    > > submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on my
    > > Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    You're very welcome! :-)

    Regards,

    --

    > Hi
    >
    > Brilliant! Back to normal. I did look in that properties section before,
    but
    > that checkbox didn't seem at all relevant, so I left it be! Thanks very
    much
    > for your help.
    >
    > "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Knobert,
    > >
    > > You'll need to disable Personalized Menus:
    > >
    > > Start>Settings>Taskbar and Start Menu>Start Menu tab. Click on Customize
    > > button. In the Advanced Start menu options field, scroll to find Use
    > > Personalized Menus and click in the checkbox beside it to clear the
    > > checkmark. Click on OK then OK again.
    > >

    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Patti MacLeod
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > "Knobert" <Knobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi, I'm a veteran of Windows 98/95 but very new to XP. After
    installing
    > > lots
    > > > of new software on my new computer, I have found the Start Menu to
    behave
    > > in
    > > > an odd way that I dislike. I am using the classic Start Menu, and when
    > > go
    > > > up to Programs, instead of a full submenu appearing from the side with
    all
    > > > the other submenus on display, I instead only get four submenus and
    one
    > > > program (these seem to be the most commonly used submenus/programs)
    and a
    > > > double downwards arrow at the bottom. If I click this arrow, the
    submenu
    > > > expands to its natural size and shows all of the submenus.
    > > >
    > > > However, I do not want it like this at all, I want it to show all the
    > > > submenus always, I want rid of that horrible double downwards arrow on
    my
    > > > Start Menu. The question is, how do I do this?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.

    Patti, maybe you can help me with my similar problem. Please read my posting
    on 4-10 titled "unable to view my programs from start". I had one reply but
    it didnt help. thanks.

Start Menu Windows XP