WHY IS CRYSIS JERKING?!?

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey guys

right i have just constructed a new rig (today) its been in production since March mind you :p

So i install crysis....... its run around 20-30 FPS some times it hits 45 WOAH! but that was short lived it droped to about 35fps there after

i know you guys are thinking 30FPS what are you complaining about?

well even at respectable Frame rate (20-30) im experiencing some sort of Jerky stuttering lag. the FPS dont suddenly drop, well some times they drop to 18 FPS but still it shouldnt jerk and stutter i used to play at 10-15 on my P4 and it didnt run like it does when it stutters at 18 FPS.

my build currently has 1728MB of 533MHz ram, im getting 4gb of 800mhz 2moro should that help?

Why is this and how can i improve on this?

Kind regards

Sean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BUILD

VISTA 64 BIT HOME EDITION
AMD PHENOM 9950 125W BE
ASROCK 780GXH MOBO (780G CHIPSET)
ATI RADEON HD4870
ALPHAPOWER 1050WATT PSU

Just a quick note a little off topic but my CPU idles at 48 degrees and seems to stay the same when playing crysis according to HWmonitor. it is all stock inc cooler and thermal compound.

GPU runs at 55 degrees when playing also. with the latest driver

need anymore info just ask

Mondoman

Splendid
Your Phenom 9950 is only 2.6GHz, and has only 2MB of cache. For gaming, clock speed still matters more than the number of cores. Something like a Phenom II x3 or Core2Duo running at 3GHz+ would work better.
Also, I'd want to have at least 3GB of RAM installed for Vista, and I'd wait for that to see how well your system really is working.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Well its only 400mhz so i dont see that making the difference between jerks and no jerks, correct me if im wrong.

yeah i will run crysis again at 4gb and report back (if they come today)
failing that i might switch back to XP see if anything improves.

anymore suggestions?

mi1ez

Splendid
Yes, that is a very interesting amount of RAM? How did you come to that nice round number? I would suggest going for some more (fresh, not mixed) RAM. A 4GB kit is relatively cheap and would then be able to run in dual channel mode (2x2GB) which I'm guessing yours isn't (2x864MB?!)

Edit: Took me longer t compose than anticipated (although to be fair, I am at work)!

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
lol, well the number i got is a combination of 4 DIMMS spreading

1x PNY 512mb 533mhz (dd2)
2x Swissbit 512mb 533mhz (ddr2)
1x Swisbit 256mb 533mhz (ddr2)

ok guys the problem jus got worse it is now running at 10-20 FPS after i installed the 1.2 patch.

should i just go back to XP

or is something else the problem here?

Kind regards

Sean

mi1ez

Splendid
I was reading about how hard drive seek times can affect mmorpgs on some other forum posts. when was the last time you defragged? I know I'm getting lazy with it these days. It might make a difference. apparently SSDs can make a big difference, although obviously at a fairly massive price.

nytrus90

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
lol no worries. AA is turned off. everything else is running very high, with my specs it should be running 25-35 FPS respectively i really dont see why its not :(

i have just installed my new RAM (see above) going to fire it up and see if there is any difference.

if there are no changes i will go back to XP and report back.

Regards

Sean

G

Firstly, those mismatched DDR sticks will be hampering your system, matched pairs is what you need, some low latency 800mhz sticks (2x2Gb will do), Even if you are running 32bit Vista, its the minimum really needed for good gaming performance in vista.

Secondly, how much Gddr has the 4870 got, if its 512 mb, you are getting the correct FPS on very high for crysis at 1650x1080 on your current build. What resolution are you gaming at and think about scaling back on the quality settings, Crysis is a monster graphics card eater and it takes a massive Sli-Crossfire system to run smoothly on very high.

Thirdly, can you overclock your phenom, most 9550 Be phenoms will do 2.9ghz and this will make a difference to your overall gaming performance, 300mhz per core may add 2 extra frames per second, nothing to be laughed at when you are trying to get to 30fps min and you are in the mid 20fps at the moment.

Fourth and final, have you overclocked your 4870, my 4870 512mb will go to 850mhz/4400mhz(Quad Pumped Gddr5 so real value 1100Mhz) but only with good case cooling, 790/4000(1000 actual) is radily avaliable from the ATI overdrive panel, and this will add 1-2 more frames per second on nmed settings on crysis.

So I think as is your rig is only a few FPS behind its max performance on Very High settings anyways..... Forget all the Eye candy with this game, put it on gamer mode and enjoy the smooth action of the gameplay, finish it and never look back!