Finally looking to buy some pc games

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I just built my first rig and I've already been impressed enough by hawx to give up console gaming for good.

My system currently runs a 4890 on a 47" monitor, but I can't seem to get rid of the black underscaling lines in some games...

ANYWAYS, back to topic. Looking to buy some games for pc as opposed to obtaining them in a less legal way.

The only games I have right now are HAWX, Company of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and a bunch of old games i.e deus ex & total annihilation.

The games I am definitely picking up are Crysis and FSX.

Any suggestions on what else?

malenkylizards

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

Depends a lot on what you like, don't it?

The game I've enjoyed the most recently is Braid. It's a puzzle game, sort of Mario meets Prince of Persia, gorgeously simple aesthetically and mentally stimulating as hell. It's like $10 AND there's a demo. Give it a go. :)

If you don't like puzzle games or you're just looking for something that'll be a little more challenging to your rig...I guess that depends too, are you looking for PC-exclusive games? 'Cos I mean, Assassin's Creed's spectacular. GTAIV *should* be spectacular but as you'll see in my thread presently above yours [or below after I post here, I guess], buy with C to the AUTION. If your rig can handle a 49" though [jesus! overcompensating much? :p /jealous], I would think you stand a better chance than me.

mi1ez

Splendid
What monitor? What's it's native reolution? how's it connected? What resolution are you running games at? is it just games that have the black bars or windows desktop too?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
To back Mi1ez, get on steam which is where you can get the orange box downloaded. You'll get a good section of FPS and team based online play. Not to mention Portal. Wow was I impressed with that title. Too short though. Steam also has a huge library of games and do some awesome deals on some top titles. They do demo weekends too to try games before you buy.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Well, I'm really looking for pc only titles atm, or rts's. I'm coming over from a long life of console gaming and not really looking for anything I've already played, although I assume tob is better on pc but I'm really looking for games that look great and play great. The only thing I don't like to play is "Dash" games.

I hate those bastards. My wife plays them way too much.

I'm a big fan of shooters & rts/strategy. Total Annihilation is my favorite game of all time and Call of Duty 4 is my favorite shooter of all time :D Following closely by deus ex. I like rpg's i.e. Mass Effect & Last Remnant.

And mi1ez: Tv is a Vizio 1080P set. Runs 120hz with a 50k:1 contrast ratio. 5ms response time.

I only find the black bars in HAWX & Company of Heroes so far at 1920x1080, havent tested other resolutions but I think 12..x760 or so had them too.

Maybe you can help :)

tidefan94

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Idk if you've played these on console, but here are some that are better on pc: fallout 3, TES IV: Oblivion, left 4 dead
Some good PC only games: dawn of war 2, crysis, world in conflict

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008

Yep @ console games.

I liked World in Conflict and had my eyes on Dawn of War II...maybe I'll check it out :)