Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION : UPGRADE vs FULL INSTALL VERSION

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE VERSION?
MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE UPGRADE
VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.

CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME
EDITION ?
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:07:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

JACOBS,JAKE wrote:
> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>
> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP
> HOME EDITION ?

Windows XP does not allow those with permanently stuck caps-lock keys to
install (clean or update.) Sorry.
*grin* Seriously - try normal typed text - easier to read.

Anyway - you can perform a clean installation with an upgrade version of
Windows XP *if* you have the media for the qualified upgrade (in other
words, you still have your Windows 9x/ME CD lying around.)

*** Remember - this is a CLEAN install - all yor files you don't backup -
GONE! ***

Boot from the Windows XP CD (Retail, OEM, Upgrade..)
Delete all partitions..
Create new partition(s)..
Follow on-screen instructions for the installation..

When it asks for you to insert the qualified media - put in your Windows
9x/ME CD..

That little point where you do that is the only difference between your
Clean Install and anyone elses.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 4:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>
> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP
> HOME EDITION ?

Yes, details located in link below. Please post in upper and lower case as
all caps is the same as shouting in newsgroups and email. It is also more
difficult to read.
Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
How to clean install XP.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
Related resources
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:05:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

JACOBS,JAKE wrote:
> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE VERSION?


The Upgrade license requires that you own an earlier, qualifying
Microsoft OS to justify the discounted purchase price. Think of it as
being like the "loyalty rebates" some automobile companies offer when
you trade-in for another of their products.


> MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE UPGRADE
> VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>
> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME
> EDITION ?
>
>
>


It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:34:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN
> UPGRADE
> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT
> IS THE
> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>
> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF
> WINDOWS XP
> HOME EDITION ?


Please don't yell at us. We can hear you if you type normally, in
mixed case.

The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
qualifying version's installation CD (with an OEM restore CD, see
below), not to have it installed. When setup doesn't find a
previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the previous
version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite
normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:49:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Michael Stevens wrote:
> In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
> JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully
> replied ;-)
>> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
>> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
>> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
>> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
>> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>>
>> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP
>> HOME EDITION ?
>
> Yes, details located in link below. Please post in upper and lower
> case as all caps is the same as shouting in newsgroups and email. It
> is also more difficult to read.
> Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser
> address bar. How to clean install XP.
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Mr. Stevens, I don't know if you are aware of it, but having so-called
"qualifying media" in the form of a CD which contains a full version of
Windows 95/9x/ME/NT 4.x/2k/XP is NOT necessary IF you are doing a clean
installation of XP AND there is a previous installation of 9x/ME/NT
4.x/2k/XP residing on the HD AFTER you boot using the XP Retail Upgrade CD
and start the Setup program.

Also, if you prepare the HD BEFORE starting the XP install CD, you WILL be
asked for qualifying media in the form of a CD containing a version of a
previous version of Windows.

I was totally unaware of this fact for several years, until I purchased an
XP Retail Upgrade CD. I left my previous installation of Windows on the HD,
and did not prepare it using fdisk/format, instead opting to boot using the
XP Retail Upgrade CD and prepare the HD for the installation of XP from
within the XP Setup program.

I was totally surprised when I was NEVER asked to insert qualifying media at
ANY TIME during the Setup process. In fact, I finished the installation and
booted into the XP desktop having NEVER inserted qualifying media.

I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want this fact published very well, or more
people would purchase Retail Upgrade CDs at a reduced rate (over $100 less,
in fact) than the so-called "Full Retail" install kit, since as long as a
person has a previous installation of Windows on a HD attached to his
computer, qualifying media in the form of a CD containing a previous version
of Windows will not be necessary to use the Retail Upgrade CD to do a
"clean" install of XP.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:05:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

you can do a full install with the upgrade - all you need is the cd from a
previous version to qualify for the upgrade the XP install process checks
for the previous OS either on your Hard Drive or asks for the CD.
Please turn your caps lock off.

"JACOBS,JAKE" <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com...
> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
> VERSION?
> MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
> UPGRADE
> VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>
> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME
> EDITION ?
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:06:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Michael Stevens wrote:
> In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
> JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully
> replied ;-)
>> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
>> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
>> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
>> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
>> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>>
>> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP
>> HOME EDITION ?
>
> Yes, details located in link below. Please post in upper and lower
> case as all caps is the same as shouting in newsgroups and email. It
> is also more difficult to read.
> Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser
> address bar. How to clean install XP.
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Mr. Stevens:

Why have mine and Ken Blake's posts disappeared from this newsgroup? They
appear in Google's archive of posts for this particular newsgroup.

If somehow you have caused them to be "censored", I would like a good
explanation for this being done. Both Mr. Blake and I gave good information
concerning this matter. I posted information after having experienced using
the XP Retail Upgrade CD to do a clean install. My posts were respectful and
professional, and well within the bonds of decency. I see no reason why
they should have been censored. If you would like to continue this
discussion via email, my address is: donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
=============================
April 11, 2005 3:29:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:06:53 -0700, Donald L McDaniel wrote:

> Mr. Stevens:
>
> Why have mine and Ken Blake's posts disappeared from this newsgroup? They
> appear in Google's archive of posts for this particular newsgroup.
>
> If somehow you have caused them to be "censored", I would like a good
> explanation for this being done. Both Mr. Blake and I gave good information
> concerning this matter. I posted information after having experienced using
> the XP Retail Upgrade CD to do a clean install. My posts were respectful and
> professional, and well within the bonds of decency. I see no reason why
> they should have been censored. If you would like to continue this
> discussion via email, my address is: donmcdaniel2005@yahoo.com

Your posts are showing up... check to see if you've accidently Kill
Filed yourself.



Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:43:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
> Michael Stevens wrote:
>> In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
>> JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully
>> replied ;-)
>>> WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN UPGRADE
>>> VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
>>> I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT IS THE
>>> UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
>>> I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
>>>
>>> CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS
>>> XP HOME EDITION ?
>>
>> Yes, details located in link below. Please post in upper and lower
>> case as all caps is the same as shouting in newsgroups and email. It
>> is also more difficult to read.
>> Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser
>> address bar. How to clean install XP.
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>

Mr. Stevens and others, I must apologise for my previous post. I had
somehow set my Outlook Express view in a way that hid my posts. I have
corrected this, and now can see my posts. I do admit that I am a paranoid
person by nature.

I do assure you, no disrespect was meant in my previous post. I simply
wanted to clear up what I felt to be a strange thing. It appeared as if my
posts had simply dropped off the face of the earth, and my paranoia moved me
to find fault with you. Again, I sincerely apologise.

--
Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread,
so that the thread may be kept intact.
==============================
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for all the help folks.GEEEZE! I'll never touch the caps lock key
again! This is the 1st time I have gone to one of these sites to ask for help!
thanks again.
Jacobs,Jake

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:FAEBF8EC-C293-4424-88E5-429EE667726E@microsoft.com,
> JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBS,JAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FULL INSTALL VERSION & AN
> > UPGRADE
> > VERSION? MY COMPUTER CURRENTLY HAS WINDOWS ME.
> > I THOUGHT I PURCHASED A FULL INSTALL VERSION BUT IT
> > IS THE
> > UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS XP HOME.
> > I WANTED TO DO A FULL INSTALLATION.
> >
> > CAN I STILL DO A FULL INSTALL. WITH THE UPGRADE VERSION OF
> > WINDOWS XP
> > HOME EDITION ?
>
>
> Please don't yell at us. We can hear you if you type normally, in
> mixed case.
>
> The requirement to use an upgrade version is to *own* a previous
> qualifying version's installation CD (with an OEM restore CD, see
> below), not to have it installed. When setup doesn't find a
> previous qualifying version installed, it will prompt you to
> insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert the previous
> version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything proceeds quite
> normally and quite legitimately.
>
> You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
> CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
> it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
> XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
> Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
> the partition and start over.
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 8:27:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:3C3BBE3E-D159-42D6-BE24-9495A79FF098@microsoft.com,
JACOBS,JAKE <JACOBSJAKE@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> Thanks for all the help folks.GEEEZE! I'll never touch the caps lock
> key again! This is the 1st time I have gone to one of these sites to
> ask for help! thanks again.
> Jacobs,Jake
>

Good, you learned on your first post and was only lightly singed instead of
really flamed. Consider yourself lucky you didn't post to an .alt newsgroup.
LOL Lot's of information is available in the newgroups, but a thick skin is
sometimes needed. Try lurking and looking for answers to your questions
before posting, most of the time the question is already answered.
Welcome to the newsgroups,

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
!