Not what I expected

Hey everyone,
I recently bought and assembled parts to make a good gaming computer.

graphics card: Radeon 4870
processor: AMD Phenom 955
4 gb ram

I can't get more than 20 fps in Everquest2, and have seen no real improvement from my old computer.
I think I have all the drivers installed, is DX9.0c the most recent directX update? Why isn't this system performing?
I'm lost
23 answers Last reply
More about expected
  1. DirectX 10.1 is the newest version.
  2. lol maybe because you have a AMD and an ATI Radeon?? AMD Phenom is horrible for gaming.
  3. pleasehelp said:
    lol maybe because you have a AMD and an ATI Radeon?? AMD Phenom is horrible for gaming.

955 is on par with Intel's single threaded quad cores if overclocked... :heink: A 4870 is solid too. Sounds like you are just AMD bashing.

What ATI drivers do you have installed? OS? PSU? Monitor Resolution? OC the CPU at all? What settings do you play EQ on? List some specs on your computer to help us out.
  4. Try running other GPU accelerated applications and see if performance is normal. It may just be a problem with that particular game.

I would recommend running 3dmark or some other benchmark and comparing it to what's in the database.
  5. Running windows XP.
    Monitor resolution 1680x 1050
    Balanced settings on EQ2.
    Don't overclock
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard.
    I believe I have all the correct ATI drivers installed, how do I check, or find which I do have installed?
    Thanks
  6. pleasehelp said:
    lol maybe because you have a AMD and an ATI Radeon?? AMD Phenom is horrible for gaming.

Gaming, the Phenom's are on par with Intel unless that game is very, very CPU dependent and most games are not. The ones that are CPU dependent are old enough so you shouldn't see a big difference between an Intel and an AMD. The only time you will see a big difference between an Intel and an AMD during gaming is if you have stuck the resolution down to the point that it matters. That's like 680 X ? and who really plays at those resolutions?

First, I have a 9600 and a 3870 with a MA790FX Gigabyte board and can run most things on high. My son has a 4830 with a duel Athlon 2.8 CPU and can run everything on Max also on a Gigabyte 780GX board that is very simular to yours. You shouldn't be having any problems running EQ 2 on max settings even if you have AA on.
    So...
    What are your temps? Download Speedfan and check. Would need to know the GPU temps also.
    What Power Supply do you have?
    Did you place the Card in the first blue slot on the right?
    Ganged or Unganged? If you don't understand the meaning of this question I'll explain.
    The BIOS multiplier can be a funny thing. When I first built my sons the auto set everything to the lowest (it was bad as in P2 bad). Make sure your CPU is running at the speed you should be and if you are not then let us know.
  7. According to speedfan, all my temperatures are 25-35ºC.
    Power supply:Corar 650 Watt
    Yes, card is in first blue slot.
    I don't know if ganged or unganged, and how do I make sure the CPU is running at the speed it should be?
    Thanks again
  8. Corsair 650 Watt Power supply*
  9. Readings from task manager and speedfan say that my processor is only running at about 30% maximum.
  10. Can you post full computer specs pls.

might find a bottleneck somewhere
  11. I would not be able to accurately compare the Phenom with other processors, and I don't know for sure how EQ2 is designed as far as core utilization, but something that has worked for other games is to load EQ2, then hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to Task Manager, right-click the EQ2 application in the list, and set it to use more than 1 core.

I have heard of folks seeing significant increases in performance this way in other games.
  12. Yeah, full Computer specs.
    CPUZ program can help with knowing what your CPU speed is or when you restart just look. It will be near the Memory Count of your RAM.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166222 pretty good thread on Ganged and Unganged.
  13. Have you ran 3Dmark06 to get your individual scores? Maybe you can see if something like your CPU score is out of the ordinary.
  14. Ok, here are my hardware specs:

Motherboard: gigabyte GA-MA790X-ED4P
    Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 Watt
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 8 MB
    Harddrive: Seagate 500GB 16MB Sata II
    RAM: Mushkin 4GB EM2-6400
    Optical Drive: LG SuperMulti 22x DVDRW
    Running Windows XP, and installed all the drivers that came with the discs of the hardware. All video card settings on factory defaults.

EQ2 is using all the cores.
    CPU-Z says my core speed is 1600.0 MHz
    How do I run 3Dmark06?

Thanks for the replies
  15. You installed all of the motherboard chipset drivers then?

Here is a free version of 3DMark06. You can only run on the default settings but it will score your CPU and GPU to see how they are performing.
    http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

Do you have similar problems with other games?
  16. Cuddles said:
    a 4830 with a duel Athlon 2.8 CPU and can run everything on Max

Nice trolling...

Why you didn’t say you can run every thing at UltraLow?
  17. Quote:
    My son has a 4830 with a duel Athlon 2.8 CPU and can run everything on Max

retard alert
  18. doesn't Xp or the graphics card slow down when you have 4gb of mem installed? just a thought. Try with just 2gb installed.
  19. Yes, motherboard chipset drivers are installed.
    I scored about 10 000 marks on 3Dmark06.
    Is XP the problem? I'll try it with 2gb ram.
  20. I've also tried it on Morrowind, got about 20 frames per second
  21. Spent about $300 to $400 on each computer (except for mine which acts as a server also) and can run most games on 1680 X 1050 on high settings. Really, what games is out that you need anything more than what I stated. GTA4 and Crysis are about it. L4D, CoD World at War, Fallout 3, all work fine.
    Ohh let me guess you have the super duper graphics card, the uber CPU, and more all of which will be out of date come October. Well Grats. I don't get that option.

In October I'll upgrade to the AM 3 CPUs and the new Dx 11 Graphics and call it good. No sense in spending hundreds of dollars on a card I'm going to throw away in a year and that's how I saw it.
    You may have the luxery of spending a couple grand on your one computer but I don't. I have two boys (one who is 15), a wife, a girl, and myself to keep happy. I run a 5 computer LAN setup at my home and it gets real expensive to keep them upgraded to be able to play the latest games. Yeah, my electric bill is $300 a month and I don't need to run the Heater in the Winter but we don't have TV's either.
    I didn't say that the above was my computer it's my sons. The best computer is mine but it's getting a little long in the tooth too but I'll wait till October to do the upgrades.
    Here is how I rate my computer priorities:
    Power Supply
    Keyboard and Mouse
    Motherboard
    GPU
    CPU
    All the Cases are Modifications. I put a minifridge in mine to keep my drinks cool. My wifes computer is a Carver Mod (It's built from an old Carver AMP). My little boys is a Lego Mod. My girls is Steam Punk \ Gothic. My older boys is some slim type dragon one he did himself.
    I've had bad Power Supplies and I know what a bad Power Supply can do to a system and the nearby cat. I don't care for the smell of burnt cat fur and it took me months to get my little girl to stop crying. I'll always buy the best Power Supply I can get.
    Keyboard and Mouse is the most used items of a computer thus I spend extra on them. It's about comfort.
    Motherboard is the base of the system and I spend extra on it. I always go with a Motherboard I know I won't need to change out.
    GPU: The Main Computer always gets the best Graphics I can buy when the new Direct X comes out. My budget is about $250.00 for the card. All the others are also upgraded to the latest API but are budgeted between $80.00 to $150.00. My son's card got fried so he got a 4830 till October.
    CPU is the latest AMD. It's not that big of a deal to me. If I can buy 4 of them for a $100.00 I will. Especially when they are all Athlon 5400+.
    Hard Drives are on a two year schedule, Monitors are on a four year schedule.
    The reason I put up my specs is that it was the closest I had to his computer. Obviously, his is much, much better but I've been dealing with AMD since 1997. Retarded or not you don't live my life and when you make assumptions well... the above speaks for itself.
  22. Cuddles said:
    Really, what games is out that you need anything more than what I stated. GTA4 and Crysis are about it.

stalker clear sky, Cryostasis, Crysis warded, Farcry2, empire total war, Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X., arma2: are some of the games that even a GTX274/HD 4890 cannot run with max setting, let alone the 4830 with the pathetic duel Athlon 2.8 CPU.

Cuddles said:
    I run a 5 computer LAN setup at my home and it gets real expensive to keep them upgraded to be able to play the latest games. Yeah, my electric bill is $300 a month and I don't need to run the Heater in the Winter but we don't have TV's either.

Any way why you spend so much money for the other members of the family to upgrade their pc, you can have only one (good) PC for your self. ;)
  23. I did have a problem with Cryostasis and had to take off the Physx, Crysis I'm waiting till October, Empire Total War isn't to bad, HAWX I want but waiting for half off sale, Stalker will be coming but need that sale, ARMA 2 is another one I can wait. Far Cry 2 I'll be getting around October also.

To be honest it's worth it. We spend a lot of time together and you can really find out what is going on in your kids life when they are blasting away bad guys. I don't buy a game until it is on sale, so I save a lot right there. My computer is the Entertainment Computer where everything get's downloaded, saved, etc.
    When you think about how much people pay for TV's, DVD Players, Consoles, the games etc. it isn't to much different. Instead of paying one big price, I just pay little bits at a time and because I know about when I need to upgrade it isn't a big sticker shock or impulse item.
    My computer needs an upgrade and I been thinking of a Nvidia Card. Then in December making it a dedicated Physx Card and getting a new ATI but I want to make sure I can do that.
    I think my Max would be considered Medium\ High at 1680 or 1400 but that's OK with me.
    To be truthful the only draw back to all of this is that I have kids in my house all the time but the way I see it is that if they are over at my house they're not getting into trouble.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Computers Graphics Cards Video Games