Making A Bootable CD

I'm using Retrospect as a backup client, and they suggest making a bootable
CD with my backup files. Actually, I see that a lot of programs suggest
making a bootable CD or diskette for disaster/recovery procedures. My
questions is, how do you do it? There doesn't seem to be a simple way of
creating a bootable CD with Nero or Roxio. It's easy burning data CDs with
all the necessary backup data, but how do you make an XP CD bootable?

More about making bootable

    It is very easy to create a bootable CD with either Nero or Roxio. Just
    check under File->New->scroll down to CD-Rom (Boot). pop a bootable floppy
    into he floppy drive and burn. You can add files before the burn takes place
    as Nero will create a boot sector on the CD. It will appear hidden. When you
    boot he CD the drive letter will be A: change to your CD-Rom drive letter to
    access the contents of the CD. Roxio has a similar process.

    Or do a google search for "create bootable CD" and you will find enough to
    choose from.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using Retrospect as a backup client, and they suggest making a
    > bootable CD with my backup files. Actually, I see that a lot of programs
    > suggest making a bootable CD or diskette for disaster/recovery procedures.
    > My questions is, how do you do it? There doesn't seem to be a simple way
    > of creating a bootable CD with Nero or Roxio. It's easy burning data CDs
    > with all the necessary backup data, but how do you make an XP CD bootable?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    The reference site is:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

    Generally, you do not need a BootCD since you can use the XP CD to boot.
    What you need is more partitions and an extra HDD for backups. External
    HDD's are not very reliable yet, but they come handy too.
    The suggestion for BootCD comes more like a legal issue to prevent data loss
    blah blah.
    Michael

    "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I'm using Retrospect as a backup client, and they suggest making a
    > bootable CD with my backup files. Actually, I see that a lot of programs
    > suggest making a bootable CD or diskette for disaster/recovery procedures.
    > My questions is, how do you do it? There doesn't seem to be a simple way
    > of creating a bootable CD with Nero or Roxio. It's easy burning data CDs
    > with all the necessary backup data, but how do you make an XP CD bootable?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I understand how to burn a cd, but you're telling me to put a bootable
    floppy into the drive and then burn any data I want onto that CD. My
    question is," How do you make a bootable CD for Windows XP in the first
    place?" If I can find out how to do that, I would have no trouble burning
    the ISO backup file onto the CDafterward. Am I misunderstanding you? Thanks
    for the quick response, and I'll try the google approach as well.

    abradaxis

    In news:e7fli$tPFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    ABRADAXIS <sindler@optonline.net> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I understand how to burn a cd, but you're telling me to put a bootable
    > floppy into the drive and then burn any data I want onto that CD. My
    > question is," How do you make a bootable CD for Windows XP in the
    > first place?" If I can find out how to do that, I would have no
    > trouble burning the ISO backup file onto the CDafterward. Am I
    > misunderstanding you? Thanks for the quick response, and I'll try
    > the google approach as well.
    > abradaxis

    The info on the floppy is used to make the CD bootable.

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> It is very easy to create a bootable CD with either Nero or Roxio.
    >> Just check under File->New->scroll down to CD-Rom (Boot). pop a
    >> bootable floppy into he floppy drive and burn. You can add files
    >> before the burn takes place as Nero will create a boot sector on the
    >> CD. It will appear hidden. When you boot he CD the drive letter will
    >> be A: change to your CD-Rom drive letter to access the contents of
    >> the CD. Roxio has a similar process.
    >>
    >> Or do a google search for "create bootable CD" and you will find
    >> enough to choose from.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using Retrospect as a backup client, and they suggest making a
    >>> bootable CD with my backup files. Actually, I see that a lot of
    >>> programs suggest making a bootable CD or diskette for
    >>> disaster/recovery procedures. My questions is, how do you do it?
    >>> There doesn't seem to be a simple way of creating a bootable CD
    >>> with Nero or Roxio. It's easy burning data CDs with all the
    >>> necessary backup data, but how do you make an XP CD bootable?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    No what I'm telling you to use the option that is part of Nero or Roxio to
    "create a bootable CD." You mentioned that Nero and Roxio can not create a
    bootable CD and I'm letting you know that they can

    See here for Nero http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/nero.jpg
    See here for Roxio http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio.jpg
    and http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio2.jpg

    You'll note that Nero will require you to have a floppy or and image of a
    floppy but Roxio actually has an image file included for this purpose. The
    process creates a boot sector on the CD and writes the files from the floppy
    or image to the disc. This bootsector and the files are hidden and can't bee
    seen from Windows but the are accessible when the CD is booted. When
    creating the CD you can add files to it, in the usual way, before the disc
    is burned.

    I'm not familiar with Retrospect Backup but if it has a function for
    creating a recovery or restore floppy that can be run outside of the Windows
    environment then you can use that floppy during the creation process. You
    would also copy, to the disc, the backup file(s) that Retrospect created.
    When you boot the CD it will emulate the floppy, run the recovery program
    and you can restore the image. Of course all that works with other imaging
    programs like Norton Ghost for example.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I understand how to burn a cd, but you're telling me to put a bootable
    >floppy into the drive and then burn any data I want onto that CD. My
    >question is," How do you make a bootable CD for Windows XP in the first
    >place?" If I can find out how to do that, I would have no trouble burning
    >the ISO backup file onto the CDafterward. Am I misunderstanding you?
    >Thanks for the quick response, and I'll try the google approach as well.
    >
    > abradaxis
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> It is very easy to create a bootable CD with either Nero or Roxio. Just
    >> check under File->New->scroll down to CD-Rom (Boot). pop a bootable
    >> floppy into he floppy drive and burn. You can add files before the burn
    >> takes place as Nero will create a boot sector on the CD. It will appear
    >> hidden. When you boot he CD the drive letter will be A: change to your
    >> CD-Rom drive letter to access the contents of the CD. Roxio has a similar
    >> process.
    >>
    >> Or do a google search for "create bootable CD" and you will find enough
    >> to choose from.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using Retrospect as a backup client, and they suggest making a
    >>> bootable CD with my backup files. Actually, I see that a lot of programs
    >>> suggest making a bootable CD or diskette for disaster/recovery
    >>> procedures. My questions is, how do you do it? There doesn't seem to be
    >>> a simple way of creating a bootable CD with Nero or Roxio. It's easy
    >>> burning data CDs with all the necessary backup data, but how do you make
    >>> an XP CD bootable?
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Got it! Thanks.
    > No what I'm telling you to use the option that is part of Nero or Roxio to
    > "create a bootable CD." You mentioned that Nero and Roxio can not create a
    > bootable CD and I'm letting you know that they can
    >
    > See here for Nero http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/nero.jpg
    > See here for Roxio http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio.jpg
    > and http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio2.jpg
    >
    > You'll note that Nero will require you to have a floppy or and image of a
    > floppy but Roxio actually has an image file included for this purpose. The
    > process creates a boot sector on the CD and writes the files from the
    > floppy or image to the disc. This bootsector and the files are hidden and
    > can't bee seen from Windows but the are accessible when the CD is booted.
    > When creating the CD you can add files to it, in the usual way, before the
    > disc is burned.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with Retrospect Backup but if it has a function for
    > creating a recovery or restore floppy that can be run outside of the
    > Windows environment then you can use that floppy during the creation
    > process. You would also copy, to the disc, the backup file(s) that
    > Retrospect created. When you boot the CD it will emulate the floppy, run
    > the recovery program and you can restore the image. Of course all that
    > works with other imaging programs like Norton Ghost for example.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >>I understand how to burn a cd, but you're telling me to put a bootable
    >>floppy into the drive and then burn any data I want onto that CD. My
    >>question is," How do you make a bootable CD for Windows XP in the first
    >>place?" If I can find out how to do that, I would have no trouble burning
    >>the ISO backup file onto the CDafterward. Am I misunderstanding you?
    >>Thanks for the quick response, and I'll try the google approach as well.
    >>
    >> abradaxis
    >>
    >> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >>> It is very easy to create a bootable CD with either Nero or Roxio. Just
    >>> check under File->New->scroll down to CD-Rom (Boot). pop a bootable
    >>> floppy into he floppy drive and burn. You can add files before the burn
    >>> takes place as Nero will create a boot sector on the CD. It will appear
    >>> hidden. When you boot he CD the drive letter will be A: change to your
    >>> CD-Rom drive letter to access the contents of the CD. Roxio has a
    >>> similar process.
    >>>
    >>> Or do a google search for "create bootable CD" and you will find enough
    >>> to choose from.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>>

    >>> "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message

    You are welcome.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "abradaxis" <jsindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Got it! Thanks.
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    > > No what I'm telling you to use the option that is part of Nero or Roxio
    > > "create a bootable CD." You mentioned that Nero and Roxio can not create
    > > bootable CD and I'm letting you know that they can
    > >
    > > See here for Nero http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/nero.jpg
    > > See here for Roxio
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio.jpg
    > > and http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/cdrom/roxio2.jpg
    > >
    > > You'll note that Nero will require you to have a floppy or and image of
    > > floppy but Roxio actually has an image file included for this purpose.
    The
    > > process creates a boot sector on the CD and writes the files from the
    > > floppy or image to the disc. This bootsector and the files are hidden
    and
    > > can't bee seen from Windows but the are accessible when the CD is
    booted.
    > > When creating the CD you can add files to it, in the usual way, before
    the
    > > disc is burned.
    > >
    > > I'm not familiar with Retrospect Backup but if it has a function for
    > > creating a recovery or restore floppy that can be run outside of the
    > > Windows environment then you can use that floppy during the creation
    > > process. You would also copy, to the disc, the backup file(s) that
    > > Retrospect created. When you boot the CD it will emulate the floppy, run
    > > the recovery program and you can restore the image. Of course all that
    > > works with other imaging programs like Norton Ghost for example.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "ABRADAXIS" <sindler@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > >>I understand how to burn a cd, but you're telling me to put a bootable
    > >>floppy into the drive and then burn any data I want onto that CD. My
    > >>question is," How do you make a bootable CD for Windows XP in the first
    > >>place?" If I can find out how to do that, I would have no trouble
    burning
    > >>the ISO backup file onto the CDafterward. Am I misunderstanding you?
    > >>Thanks for the quick response, and I'll try the google approach as well.
    > >>
    > >> abradaxis
    > >>
    > >> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    Just

Backup CD-Rom Windows XP