HP Pavilion System Locked Pre-installation (SLP)

Hello,

I've fried the motherboard and cpu on my HP Pavilion 710

I'm getting a new m'board and cpu but I've discovered that HP machines use
the System Locked Pre-Installation 'feature' whereby in the HP Factory the
copy of Windows XP that is installed on the harddrive is given the bios
string of the HP machine it is installed on.

I had planned to remove the hard drive from my Pavilion and install it on
the new setup - as my machine will technically not be a HP anymore does this
mean that the system will not boot as xp will know it is not on the hp
machine it came with? This is a farce! I have paid for the copy of windows
xp that came with the Pavilion and my hard drive is stuffed full of paid for
software and data which I cannot afford to lose.

Is there anyway around this or am I incorrect in my understanding of how
this works?

Cheers,

TD.

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

You might consider downloading one of the 'live' Linux CDs, use that to boot
you computer, and then burn a CD containing all the stuff you want to save.

I'm not sure which of the live CDs include cd burning sw, but if your data
is still on the HD this may be a way to recover it.

craigm