Drivers not updating P4C800 deluxe

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I am trying to update my windows xp drivers for the chipset, however I am having a problem.

I down load the new drivers (something.12) and run the self install file. My computer reboots like it is supposed to, but when I look, I still have the .06 drivers for everything.

Has this happened to others, or does anyone have a suggestion to fix it?

Also, I have tried to manually update the drivers, but I cannot find them available outside of the self install package.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
To add some more information, the drivers on the cd that came with the mb are all the .12 drivers. So, why did xp default to the older drivers?

Some of my chipset drivers are dated from the year 2000! What the heck is happening? I have contact ASUS, but I dont know if they will have a good answer or not.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I am not doing this to keep the post at the top, but I have another question, in case someone can help with it.

Does anyone have the .inf files for the latest windows xp, 875p chipset? I can only find it in the self installer, which has catalog files that I cannot break. If someone has the inf's then perhaps I can manually update the drivers.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Can you unistall the .06 drivers?

Then you could do a fresh install of the .12 drivers.

If that doesn't work I would try this question in the Windows XP forum.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I just posted it in the xp forum, I did not notice that was down there.

I will see what I can do about uninstalling the old drivers, but I fear that it will not operate without them. I guess if the only other option is to reinstall windows xp it does not matter much.

nowareman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Did you install the chipset drivers before or after the operating system?

The Abit IC7-G chipset drivers are installed before the OS. Same with the IAA, onboard sound, and LAN drivers.

If you installed the OS first could Windows have installed default drivers?

You might try uninstalling the chipset drivers, restart, and install the chipset drivers on the CD that came with your MOBO or download the latest from Asus' site, copy them to a floppy disk and boot to that after you uninstall the .06 drivers.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I tried uninstalling my proc to agp driver, and this is what happened:
Uninstalled
Computer rebooted
Computer reloaded the old driver before I could do anything in winxp

How do you load xp drivers prior to loading xp? Because, it seems to load the old driver instantly.

nowareman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
My mistake before. The OS is installed before the chipset driver so you're OK there.

Uninstall the chipset driver in Device Manager.

Reboot and enter BIOS set up. Set your boot order to boot to your CD-ROM or FDD first, depending what you have your drivers on - CD or floppy disk. Reboot with the CD or floppy disk in the drive. The computer should boot to that drive. Install the chipset drivers.

You should have specific instructions in your MOBO manual.

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Just for clarification, if I have the cd with the drivers on it in the cd drive, it will look there before it looks in it's own xp files?