Father's day gift a little..shall we say, unstable *DELETED*

Penfold

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
"blue screen ov death" usally means software or driver problems,...... but not always.

Q.Is it a clean OS load?

A thing that had me running around like idiot was me CPU temp, watch your temp in bios if it climbs above or near 60C then that could be the reason.

P :)

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
I just built the computer today, and just finished installing xp a few hours ago. The computer has ran flawlessly for a few hours now on the "safe" settings that are offered in the bios.

The Heatsink/fan is the one that amd supplies. I figured it was for my dad, and for a couple bucks more I could get the one with the heatsink/fan since he wont be overclocking or anything. The temps have been good.

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
No, I haven't. It runs fine clocked low. I have it clocked at 133 with a multiplier of 12 right now. It is stable at this setting. However, once I step it up to 166 with a 12 multiplier, it will bomb.

Penfold

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
can check the processor on anuther machine or try anuther processor on your dads new machine. I could be simply a dodge MoBO or processor. If i was to money on it,..... i would say it was the motherboard, Processor just tend not to work.

jsut anuther thought,... is there heatsink compound on the heatsink ( I know u probably got it but a friend had the same problem as u, the bios showed good temp but the when u cranked it up...it failed)

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
There is heatsink compound on the heatsink. I was going to scrape it off and put some artic silver II on there, but I couldn't find my tube, and figure it should be fine.

Right now I have it set a 166 with a 11.5 multiplier, and it seems to be fine. I wonder what on earth would cause it to bomb with a multiplier of 12.

Penfold

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
not sure me self, it could be something simple like voltage,....but i would leave it running as is, I mean dad probably not going to be hosting multi-player flight-sims at LAN parties,.....LOL... is he!

If hes anything like my dad that all the power he going to need for the ten years,...... and u can always come back to it when up-grade it. What u think?

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Well, just as I submitted my last post, it bombed.

I know it isn't huge since my dad will never notice, it's just the principle of it. I bought a 2400 and would like to be using it as such.

I guess I'll just mess around with it some more. My bro has a 2400 also and some corsair memory which I can try.

I hope I can figure this out, because my k7s5a with 1400 athlon seems faster than my dad's rig.

Penfold

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I know it fustrating, I had a problem with my machine crashing, turned out to be a shity heatsink fan.
But def take your processor over to your brothers and try it out, I think the memory will probably be alright but try it just-in-case. If u can try your brother processor in your dads machine too cover all angles. Oh if you find that heatsink compound...but it on, that make can make as much as 5c ( if the compound put on the heatsink by the manufactor it only good for one fit realy)

Good luck

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Why are you overclocking a processor in your Dad's computer. You do realise the default for a 2400+ is 2Ghz at 133FSB (cant remember the multiplier), why dont you just leave it at that and it will be stable. Unluss you up the voltage, it is unlikely it will reach 166FSB.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
Ok, right now I'm chilling at 133 with a multiplier of 15. It is stable at this speed.

I guess I just thought that I had to have it a 166 to utilize my memory...maybe I was wrong.

Jerums

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2001
So yeah, I just realized that I am an idiot.

thanks for the help. I guess overclocking when not thinking you are is a bad idea :)