Sprint Nokia 6185 Phone - Can it be used with Verizon???

Last response: in Network Providers
June 25, 2004 4:16:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I'm going to probably switch my service from AT&T to
Verizon.

I'm have several Nokia 6160 AT&T phones with a ton of
accessories and I want to stay with the Nokia 61xx series
phones for a lot of reasons.

The Sprint Nokia 6185 phones are quite readably available
but I haven't seen many Verizon versions of this phone.

Can the Sprint 6185 phones be easily converted to use with
Verizon?
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail
me)

In alt.cellular.verizon * * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

> I'm have several Nokia 6160 AT&T phones with a ton of
> accessories and I want to stay with the Nokia 61xx series
> phones for a lot of reasons.
>
> The Sprint Nokia 6185 phones are quite readably available
> but I haven't seen many Verizon versions of this phone.
>
> Can the Sprint 6185 phones be easily converted to use with
> Verizon?

I switched over a 6185 from Alltel to Verizon. If you have the Master Subsidy
Lock code for the phone, you should be able to. Having said that, I think
the earlier CDMA Nokias have some issues. They don't hold weak signals as
well as the newer ones do.

June 25, 2004 4:16:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Chas,
The 6185 is a VASTLY inferior phone to the 6160. I have both. A few people
have successfully fooled Sprint into giving them the 6185 lock code, but
found their 6185 would not download a Verizon PRL, limiting its usefulness.

If you really want to use your 6160 accessories, their are many Verizon
5185i's available, some new, especially on ebay. They are a much better
phone than the 6185, but not as good as the newest Nokia's sold by Verizon,
and those are very cheap. I think it's the 3589 and it is getting rave
reviews for signal holding.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to probably switch my service from AT&T to
> Verizon.
>
> I'm have several Nokia 6160 AT&T phones with a ton of
> accessories and I want to stay with the Nokia 61xx series
> phones for a lot of reasons.
>
> The Sprint Nokia 6185 phones are quite readably available
> but I haven't seen many Verizon versions of this phone.
>
> Can the Sprint 6185 phones be easily converted to use with
> Verizon?
> --
> Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail
> me)

June 25, 2004 2:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In alt.cellular.verizon * * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

> If the 5185 is a better phone, the 6185 must be a real piece
> of junk!

It has the great classic Nokia user interface, but it does have some issues
holding calls. The GSM phones in the 6100 series are probably the best ones
out there.

June 26, 2004 7:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Try the 3285. Cheap and plentiful. Should take most of your accessories and
it was authorized by VZW so you should be able to download PRL's

HBL
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 10:43:58 PM

<anon@anonomus.net> wrote in message
> Try the 3285. Cheap and plentiful. Should take most of
your accessories and
> it was authorized by VZW so you should be able to download
PRL's

> HBL

Thanks,

That's one that I've been looking at. I can still find new
3585 phones and it seems to be a better model that the 6185.

I didn't check out the 3285 before because I was looking for
61xx models.

I'm going to get a cheaper Verizon plan to check out their
service and get a local number. If it works well for me,
I'll switch to a better plan.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail
me)
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:05:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In alt.cellular.verizon * * Chas <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote:

> That's one that I've been looking at. I can still find new
> 3585 phones and it seems to be a better model that the 6185.

Nokia finally Found Clue and started licensing the CDMA firmware from
Qualcomm. Since then their phones, call-wise, have gotten A LOT better.

Both Verizon and Sprint are selling 3585 variants: Sprint the 3588i and
Verizon the 3589i.

> I didn't check out the 3285 before because I was looking for
> 61xx models.

The 3285 is a modified 5185 body with 6185 firmware, but since it uses the
newer CDMA chipset, it performs a lot better. I liked mine. It isn't a
fancy phone, but it works pretty well.

June 27, 2004 10:33:17 AM

wrote:

> > That's one that I've been looking at. I can still find
new
> > 3585 phones and it seems to be a better model that the
6185.

> Nokia finally Found Clue and started licensing the CDMA
firmware from
> Qualcomm. Since then their phones, call-wise, have gotten
A LOT better.

> Both Verizon and Sprint are selling 3585 variants: Sprint
the 3588i and
> Verizon the 3589i.
>
> > I didn't check out the 3285 before because I was looking
for
> > 61xx models.
>
> The 3285 is a modified 5185 body with 6185 firmware, but
since it uses the
> newer CDMA chipset, it performs a lot better. I liked
mine. It isn't a
> fancy phone, but it works pretty well.

Thanks for the feedback.

The 3285 is what I'm considering, not the 3585. I don't need
or want a fancy phone.
--
Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail
me)
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:15:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in
message news:10dn7fkdde9b418@corp.supernews.com...
> Chas,
> The 6185 is a VASTLY inferior phone to the 6160. I have
both. A few people
> have successfully fooled Sprint into giving them the 6185
lock code, but
> found their 6185 would not download a Verizon PRL,
limiting its usefulness.

> If you really want to use your 6160 accessories, their are
many Verizon
> 5185i's available, some new, especially on ebay. They are
a much better
> phone than the 6185, but not as good as the newest Nokia's
sold by Verizon,
> and those are very cheap. I think it's the 3589 and it is
getting rave
> reviews for signal holding.
>
> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com

Bill, I picked up a Verizon 6185 on eBay before I found that
the 3285 phones use all of the same accessories. I also have
a new 3285 coming - I need 2 phones anyway.

I activated the 6185 with Verizon today.... What a
difference over ATTWS!

The 6160s may be better phones than the 6185 but at least
50% of my calls on the East and West Coasts have "can you
hear me now" problems or get dropped!

My ATTWS goes to ROAM while I'm in my home. The signal is
constantly fluxuating between 1 and 4 bars. The 6185 has
been a constant 5 bars all day!

The people that I called today with the 6185 couldn't tell
that I was on a Cell phone! I'm looking forward to getting
the "new" 3285 as it's supposed to be a much better phone.
--
!