Unable to view files on CD

A colleague has given me CD which contains a folder called Minutes,
which in turn holds a file Oct1933.rtf.
He has created this files on his machine which runs under Windows XP
Home.

I have a similar OS but when I view the CD in Windows Explorer, it is
apparently blank. Clicking on Properties shows Free Space 0 bytes Total
Size 0 bytes.

I returned the CD to my colleague and we checked it on his machine and
the folder Minutes and file Oct1933.rtf were clearly displayed and
readable. We again tried to read the CD on my machine without any
success.

Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem would be most
gratefully received.
--
Whinney

A "similar OS"?

Copy the file to your hard-drive > Right-click > Properties> Remove any Read
Only properties it might have > Try opening it.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Whinney wrote:
> A colleague has given me CD which contains a folder called Minutes,
> which in turn holds a file Oct1933.rtf.
> He has created this files on his machine which runs under Windows XP
> Home.
>
> I have a similar OS but when I view the CD in Windows Explorer, it is
> apparently blank. Clicking on Properties shows Free Space 0 bytes Total
> Size 0 bytes.
>
> I returned the CD to my colleague and we checked it on his machine and
> the folder Minutes and file Oct1933.rtf were clearly displayed and
> readable. We again tried to read the CD on my machine without any
> success.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem would be most
> gratefully received.

Click on Properties and Recording tab.
Check "Enable...."
Now try again to read the disk.

"Whinney" <newsab001@langho.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> A colleague has given me CD which contains a folder called Minutes,
> which in turn holds a file Oct1933.rtf.
> He has created this files on his machine which runs under Windows XP
> Home.
>
> I have a similar OS but when I view the CD in Windows Explorer, it is
> apparently blank. Clicking on Properties shows Free Space 0 bytes Total
> Size 0 bytes.
>
> I returned the CD to my colleague and we checked it on his machine and
> the folder Minutes and file Oct1933.rtf were clearly displayed and
> readable. We again tried to read the CD on my machine without any
> success.
>
> Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this problem would be most
> gratefully received.
> --
> Whinney

How did your mate put it on the CD.

In message <#exrb#6PFHA.2932@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, David Candy
<?.?@?.?.invalid> writes
>How did your mate put it on the CD.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.
David's comment made me go back to my colleague and I found that whilst
writing to the CD he had not made the CD 'Compatible' for use with other
machines. We re-wrote the CD and then ensured that we completed the
compatibility part and all was OK. I can now read the CD on my
machines.

--
Whinney

TRENDING THREADS