xp password bypass

If you forget the password how do you get back into the pc. Is there an
administrator's password by default? Is there another way to bypass the
password to get back into the machine?
6 answers Last reply
More about password bypass

    Hi Greg,

    Here are some steps to take in hopes of getting back into the system.
    Password Lost

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/

    Greg wrote:
    > If you forget the password how do you get back into the
    > pc. Is there an administrator's password by default? Is
    > there another way to bypass the password to get back into
    > the machine?

    If you have XP Home them there is a hidden Administrator account that has no
    password. Restart the computer into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key during
    system bootup. You should get a Boot menu to select Safe Mode from. You will
    see the Administrator account. Select it to get to the Safe Mode Desktop. Go
    to Control Panel->User accounts and reset your password for the account you
    normally log on with.

    If you have XP Pro then you will need to reset the Administrator password
    from outside of Windows. Download this program and follow the instructions
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip The CD
    version is easier to use than the floppy.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > If you have XP Home them there is a hidden Administrator account that has no
    > password. Restart the computer into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key during
    > system bootup. You should get a Boot menu to select Safe Mode from. You will
    > see the Administrator account. Select it to get to the Safe Mode Desktop. Go
    > to Control Panel->User accounts and reset your password for the account you
    > normally log on with.
    >
    > If you have XP Pro then you will need to reset the Administrator password
    > from outside of Windows. Download this program and follow the instructions
    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip The CD
    > version is easier to use than the floppy.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If you forget the password how do you get back into the pc. Is there an
    > > administrator's password by default? Is there another way to bypass the
    > > password to get back into the machine?

    I must caution you on this. Leaving the password field blank can of course
    be attempted, but when responding to a user, it should be noted that the
    password MAY be blank, not that it IS blank.

    Yes, the default Administrator account is hidden in XP, but it is not always
    set with a blank password. During the install of XP, one of the steps is to
    assign a password to the administrator account.
    Regards,
    Crash Override, MCP

    "Crash Override" <CrashOverride@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    > > If you have XP Home them there is a hidden Administrator account that
    has no
    > > password. Restart the computer into Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key
    during
    > > system bootup. You should get a Boot menu to select Safe Mode from. You
    will
    > > see the Administrator account. Select it to get to the Safe Mode
    Desktop. Go
    > > to Control Panel->User accounts and reset your password for the account
    you
    > > normally log on with.
    > >
    > > If you have XP Pro then you will need to reset the Administrator
    password
    > > from outside of Windows. Download this program and follow the
    instructions
    > > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip The
    CD
    > > version is easier to use than the floppy.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > If you forget the password how do you get back into the pc. Is there
    an
    > > > administrator's password by default? Is there another way to bypass
    the
    > > > password to get back into the machine?
    > >

    > I must caution you on this. Leaving the password field blank can of
    course
    > be attempted, but when responding to a user, it should be noted that the
    > password MAY be blank, not that it IS blank.
    >
    > Yes, the default Administrator account is hidden in XP, but it is not
    always
    > set with a blank password. During the install of XP, one of the steps is
    > assign a password to the administrator account.
    > Regards,
    > Crash Override, MCP

    By default during installation of the Windows XP Home version an
    Administrator account is created that has no password. You don't even see
    the option during installation to enter a password. The hidden account is
    just created and there is no password.

    By default during the installation of Windows XP Professional version you
    are asked to provide an administrator password. You can leave the field
    blank if you wish but of course one should enter a password.

    Please note that in my response to the OP I said "If you have XP Home
    then......." I also stated that "If you have XP Pro then......."

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Crash Override, MCP" <CrashOverrideMCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:4A3B2F16-98E8-4113-9A91-35766A159DFD@microsoft.com...

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >

    > > "Crash Override" <CrashOverride@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message

    > > has no
    > > during
    You
    > > will
    > > Desktop. Go
    > > you

    > > password
    > > instructions
    The
    > > CD

    > > an
    > > the
    > > > >

    > > > I must caution you on this. Leaving the password field blank can of
    > > course
    > > > be attempted, but when responding to a user, it should be noted that
    the
    > > > password MAY be blank, not that it IS blank.
    > > >
    > > > Yes, the default Administrator account is hidden in XP, but it is not
    > > always
    > > > set with a blank password. During the install of XP, one of the steps
    is
    > > > assign a password to the administrator account.
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Crash Override, MCP
    > >
    > > By default during installation of the Windows XP Home version an
    > > Administrator account is created that has no password. You don't even
    see
    > > the option during installation to enter a password. The hidden account
    is
    > > just created and there is no password.
    > >
    > > By default during the installation of Windows XP Professional version
    you
    > > are asked to provide an administrator password. You can leave the field
    > > blank if you wish but of course one should enter a password.
    > >
    > > Please note that in my response to the OP I said "If you have XP Home
    > > then......." I also stated that "If you have XP Pro then......."
    > >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    > >

    > > Sorry, XP Home also asks for a password during setup. Completed it last
    evening just to be sure. Not looking to argue, just pointing out what I
    see. Cheers.

    Crash Override I must beg to differ with you. XP Home version does not ask
    for an Administrator password during installation. It does ask for a
    Computer name but it doesn't ask for an Admin password the way that XP Pro
    does. You can check the pictorials here if you need to. Please note that the
    pictorials are from an independent site and not one of my own :-)

    This is an install of XP Home version
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic_i.htm
    This is an install of XP Pro version
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic_1.htm
    Note that after you enter the Product Key on Pro you have the screen to
    enter the admin password. This does not happen when installing XP Home
    version.

    I appreciate that you may have installed XP last night and you saw what you
    saw. However please accept that I have installed XP hundreds of times since
    it first came out. As a beta tester I watched each screen many, many times
    checking for typos and glitches in the installation screens. While my
    knowledge about XP might lack in many areas I certainly know each screen of
    the setup for both Home and Pro intimately.

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Default Microsoft Windows XP