P4P800DX BIOS/ Problem

Creator

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Just built 1st PC using ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 800FSB HT CPU, and Geil dual channel DDR400 memory (2x256).OS is win XP
Tried 'Hyper Path' tactic as on website HOWEVER! this caused system failure, so used the Support CD supplied for BIOS recovery. Problem is that since doing this, I cannot re-configure the set up in BIOS as the Save and Exit command (F10) will not work, ie my settings (such as date & time) are not saved, and I am forced to use default settings. This is a major problem as I keep getting the following message in Post Report every time I Boot:
CMOS SETTINGS WRONG
CMOS DATE/TIME NOT SET
OVERCLOCKING FAILED! PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RE-CONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM
PRESS F1 TO RUN SETUP
PRESS F2 TO LOAD DEFAULT VALUES AND CONTINUE
After following the above, the re-configured settings are NOT saved, and I get the same message! Also the memory installed is now displayed in Post as running at DDR266MHz, not 400MHz...obviously I cannot amend this in the BIOS as the settings keep defaulting as explained above.
I do not know if this problem was caused by the recovery CD perhaps?

PS: Since installing floppy drive and re-clearing CMOS by battery removal, BIOS is now saving settings, but I still get the same messages as above, and system won't Boot automatically, or reset from Windows - have to switch off, re-boot, enter BIOS and then Esc...what hassle. Am hoping a BIOS update might help, but having trouble figuring this out. Also I installed OS in 2Gig partition (niave, yes)but I thought I wouldn't be able to access DOS, would this be part of the problem?

SOLUTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED, I'M STILLL A NOVICE!

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I'm not to familiar with your board but maybe you moved a jumper on the board that is messing with your CMOS? Try re-seating the battery again. After that go into the BIOS and default it save/exit and see what you get.

Maybe try that CD again if that doesn't help?

Creator

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
Thanks, the jumpers were all in correct place, but I managed to solve the problem anyhow.

Here's what I did: (hopefully this'll help others as well)

Reinstalled OS on much larger partition.
Re-seated battery again.
Updated with latest BIOS version (v.1007).

Simple as that!

It seems the BIOS update fixed everything, and I wouldn't recommend using the original CD, I think that created a funny BIOS version, perhaps..