MS Word's "Normal.dot" Template in Windows XP?

I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs Windows XP
SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains personalized
macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me desktop to
the new notebook.

I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to discover in
what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
found. Does someone know where it belongs?

Thanks in advance.

Joan
14 answers Last reply
More about word normal template windows

    %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

    Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates

    [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs Windows
    > XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    > personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    > Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    >
    > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to discover
    > in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

    Take a look here
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=151

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs Windows
    > XP
    > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains personalized
    > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me desktop
    > the new notebook.
    >
    > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to discover
    > in
    > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

    On my machine, XP Pro, Word 2002, it's located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Templates

    HTH

    Pop

    --
    Let someone else do it
    I'm retired!
    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs Windows
    > XP
    > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains personalized
    > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me desktop
    > the new notebook.
    >
    > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to discover
    > in
    > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

    Joan;
    You have installed Word.
    Have you also opened and used Word at least once?
    Otherwise you should post to a Word or Office newsgroup:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs Windows
    > XP
    > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains personalized
    > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me desktop
    > the new notebook.
    >
    > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to discover
    > in
    > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

    I went to that location (Word | Tools | Options | File Locations | User
    Templates), and the folder is totally empty. Do you think I should try
    plopping my old Normal.dot in there?

    > %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >
    > Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates
    >
    > [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    > templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    > want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    > A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    > > personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    > > Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder
    was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    Thanks for writing. For some reason, the User Templates folder under my user
    name has no content.

    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On my machine, XP Pro, Word 2002, it's located in:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Pop
    >
    > --
    > Let someone else do it
    > I'm retired!
    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP
    > > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    personalized
    > > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me
    desktop
    > > the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in
    > > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    Sorry. I mean I went to Documents and Settings | [My User Name] |
    Application Data | Microsoft | Templates, and the Templates folder is
    totally empty.

    > %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >
    > Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates
    >
    > [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    > templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    > want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    > A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    > > personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    > > Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder
    was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    Thanks for writing. Yes, I have used Word to create and save files. There's
    still no content in the Templates file under Documents and Settings | [My
    User Name] | Application Data | Microsoft. There is, however, a file named
    "AutoRecovery save of Normal.as$" in the Word file that one also finds under

    > Joan;
    > You have installed Word.
    > Have you also opened and used Word at least once?
    > Otherwise you should post to a Word or Office newsgroup:
    > http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP
    > > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    personalized
    > > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me
    desktop
    > > the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in
    > > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    Many thanks, Rich. The problem seems to have been that Normal.dot is visible
    only when "View hidden files" is chosen under My Computer | View | Folder
    Options.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Take a look here

    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=151

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP
    > > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    personalized
    > > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me
    desktop
    > > the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in
    > > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    As I just wrote to Rich Barry, the problem seems to have been that
    Normal.dot is visible only when "View hidden files" is chosen under My
    Computer | View | Folder Options. I'm all set now.

    Joan

    > %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >
    > Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates
    >
    > [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    > templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    > want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    > A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    > > personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    > > Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder
    was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8fd7e.16512$nH4.2893@trndny05,
    A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    > As I just wrote to Rich Barry, the problem seems to have been that
    > Normal.dot is visible only when "View hidden files" is chosen under My
    > Computer | View | Folder Options. I'm all set now.
    >
    > Joan

    >> %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >>
    >> Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates
    >>
    >> [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    >> templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    >> want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    >> A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    >>> Windows XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    >>> personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    >>> Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    >>>
    >>> I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    >>> discover in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such
    >>> folder was found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Joan

    As I just wrote to Rich Barry, the problem seems to have been that
    Normal.dot is visible only when "View hidden files" is chosen under My
    Computer | View | Folder Options. I'm all set now.

    Joan

    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > On my machine, XP Pro, Word 2002, it's located in:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Pop
    >
    > --
    > Let someone else do it
    > I'm retired!
    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP
    > > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    personalized
    > > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me
    desktop
    > > the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in
    > > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

    As I just wrote to Rich Barry, the problem seems to have been that
    Normal.dot is visible only when "View hidden files" is chosen under My
    Computer | View | Folder Options. This is apparently a difference between
    Windows Me, which I run on my old desktop, and Windows XP. I'm all set now.

    Joan

    > Joan;
    > You have installed Word.
    > Have you also opened and used Word at least once?
    > Otherwise you should post to a Word or Office newsgroup:
    > http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    Windows
    > > XP
    > > SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    personalized
    > > macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old, Windows Me
    desktop
    > > the new notebook.
    > >
    > > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    discover
    > > in
    > > what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder was
    > > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Joan

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It could be that the normal.dot is hidden for some reason. You have found
    the correct folder c:\Documents and Settings\YOUR ID HERE\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Templates. Put the normal.dot file in this folder and you
    should be all set.

    If you haven't run Word yet in your new installation, there probably isn't a
    normal.dot to find as Word creates one if there isn't one in existence at
    the time of starting.

    Why are you wanting to locate this file? If Word is working correctly, there
    is no reason for you to access it.

    The user templates folder is for templates that you have created. The
    location of this folder can be changed in Word using TOOLS/OPTIONS/FILE
    LOCATIONS.
    > Sorry. I mean I went to Documents and Settings | [My User Name] |
    > Application Data | Microsoft | Templates, and the Templates folder is
    > totally empty.

    >> %homepath%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
    >>
    >> Open Word | Tools | Options | File Locations tab | User templates
    >>
    >> [[Lists the default storage location and search path for documents,
    >> templates, and other items you create or use in Word. Click the item you
    >> want to change, and then click Modify to set a new default location.]]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:bZW6e.14304$nH4.10360@trndny05,
    >> A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> > I've just installed MS Office 2000 on a new HP notebook that runs
    > Windows
    >> > XP SP 2. I want to transfer the Normal.dot file, which contains
    >> > personalized macros, keyboard shortcuts, and the like, from my old,
    >> > Windows Me desktop to the new notebook.
    >> >
    >> > I performed a search for "Normal.dot" on the notebook, hoping to
    > discover
    >> > in what folder Normal.dot resides on that machine, but no such folder
    > was
    >> > found. Does someone know where it belongs?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance.
    >> >
    >> > Joan

Microsoft Word Notebooks Windows XP