VZW Battery recall

WASHINGTON(AP)

Verizon Wireless is recalling about 50,000 LG
brand cell phone batteries, some of which may be counterfeit, because
they can overheat when charging and cause burns.

Among the 18 reports involving the TM-510 batteries, a phone
exploded and burned the user, and a fire in a car began after a
phone overcharged, spokesman Scott Wolfson of the Consumer
Product Safety Commission said Thursday.

The batteries lack safety devices to detect overcharging, the commission
said.

San Diego-based LG Infocomm USA Inc., a subsidiary of
LG Electronics, said some of the TM-510 batteries may be counterfeit.
Using a non-LG charger with these batteries increases the risk of
overcharging, the government said.

The recalled batteries can be found in black or silver phones sold
nationwide by Verizon Wireless stores and the company's Web site
from April 2001 to December 2002 for $150 to $200.

The batteries were sold from August 2002 to November 2003 for
$40 to $60. Recalled batteries are labeled with codes
"AEMLLL 02220," AEMMHH 02220," "AEMLLL 02X25H" or "AEMMHH 02725."

The commission advises consumers to stop charging the
battery and contact the company for a replacement battery at
888-351-2121, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.

___

On the Net:

Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov

Verizon Wireless: http://www.vzwshop.com/lgbattery

--
Andrew D. Sisson
2 answers Last reply

    Kyocera 7135 Smartphone
    -- Some cell phone batteries could explode and burn users

    Ron

    ---

    Jesus, you'd think since Verizon is late and pushes back months and months
    on releasing new phones you wouldn't have this problem. My ASS! Phone delays
    don't mean they're tweaking or getting bugs out. This is a prime example of
    a company that's just too big for itself and can't handle the heat. I do
    hope no one else was injured and I certainly don't wish any pain on some one
    using a cellular phone.

    "Andy S" <adsisson@NOrochesterSPAM.rr.com> wrote in message
    > WASHINGTON(AP)
    >
    > Verizon Wireless is recalling about 50,000 LG
    > brand cell phone batteries, some of which may be counterfeit, because
    > they can overheat when charging and cause burns.
    >
    > Among the 18 reports involving the TM-510 batteries, a phone
    > exploded and burned the user, and a fire in a car began after a
    > phone overcharged, spokesman Scott Wolfson of the Consumer
    > Product Safety Commission said Thursday.
    >
    > The batteries lack safety devices to detect overcharging, the commission
    > said.
    >
    > San Diego-based LG Infocomm USA Inc., a subsidiary of
    > LG Electronics, said some of the TM-510 batteries may be counterfeit.
    > Using a non-LG charger with these batteries increases the risk of
    > overcharging, the government said.
    >
    > The recalled batteries can be found in black or silver phones sold
    > nationwide by Verizon Wireless stores and the company's Web site
    > from April 2001 to December 2002 for $150 to $200.
    >
    > The batteries were sold from August 2002 to November 2003 for
    > $40 to $60. Recalled batteries are labeled with codes
    > "AEMLLL 02220," AEMMHH 02220," "AEMLLL 02X25H" or "AEMMHH 02725."
    >
    > The commission advises consumers to stop charging the
    > battery and contact the company for a replacement battery at
    > 888-351-2121, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. EDT.
    >
    > ___
    >
    > On the Net:
    >
    > Consumer Product Safety Commission: http://www.cpsc.gov
    >
    > Verizon Wireless: http://www.vzwshop.com/lgbattery
    >
    > --
    > Andrew D. Sisson

Verizon Wireless Internet Service Providers