Need help with new computer

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I'm buying a new coputer on a medium budget... I've decided that the best value CPU is the P4 2.4GHZ HT FSB800 because it offers the best options for later upgrades.
I'm not sure which mobo I need, and that's after hours of research. I probably need an Inter 865 chipset, 875 is prbably unnecessary. I do need these features: AGP 8x, 4+ USB2, onboard audio, DDR400, I defently don't want an onboard VGA.
I was also wondering about the memory, I need DDR400 512MB, does brand matter? How important is the C.L? I read that memory works best if it's synchronized with the FSB, in that case, is DDR400 C.L 2 a good choice?

oh crap, another OC try that went bad. now i have P4 all over my mother board and geforce, does anyone know how to clean it up?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is why you're a newbie, and newbies don't know what they need. You don't need AGP8x at all. AGP8x cards are AGP4x compatable and don't see any performance increase from 8x enabled boards.

But the 865PE chipset includes AGP8x, so even though you don't need it, you'll get it anyway. I recommend the Abit IS7 motherboard and Corsair PC3200 LL (low latency) memory.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>